friend with generals problem

ok i convinced a friend to buy C&C Generals so we can play it online.
But hes haveing trouble running it. it installs fine and runs good in
single player mode.... but when he clicks to go online his game crashes
it says 'technical difficulties' then 'computer error', he is then
forced to reboot as the computer locks up. After rebooting the game
refuses to run at all, and needs to be reinstalled before it will go
again.
I got him to manauly download the latest generals update as i thought
that might be his problem, but that did not help.

his pc stats are:

Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
512mb ram (shared with the onboard gfx card
SiS 661FX with 32meg shared ram
directx 9.0c

any ideas?

--
DalienX

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:23:44 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com> wrote:

>ok i convinced a friend to buy C&C Generals so we can play it online.
>But hes haveing trouble running it. it installs fine and runs good in
>single player mode.... but when he clicks to go online his game crashes
>it says 'technical difficulties' then 'computer error', he is then
>forced to reboot as the computer locks up. After rebooting the game
>refuses to run at all, and needs to be reinstalled before it will go
>again.

I'd try running the game from a limited user account, and see how the
result differs. If it still locks up the system, then it's a driver
problem. Usually, the viode card drivers is the weakest link.

If you update your video card drivers, make sure you download the correct
one - consulting with PlanetCNC if necessairy. For example, some of the
latest NVidia drivers have been reported to incorrectly render the some
scenes (although this could be a bug with Zero Hour.)

>I got him to manauly download the latest generals update as i thought
>that might be his problem, but that did not help.
>
>his pc stats are:
>
>Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
>Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
>512mb ram (shared with the onboard gfx card
>SiS 661FX with 32meg shared ram

FYI, an onboard video card is not suitable for games which require
graphically intensive rendering. If possible, you should get at least a
GeForce 4 TI or ATI Raedon 9600.

"DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com> once tried to test me with:

> SiS 661FX with 32meg shared ram

This could be the problem. I recommend ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

"DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com> once tried to test me with:

> I would tend to agree also, however the game runs fine in single player
> mode, it only crashes when attempting to join generals online. :s

Does he have ZoneAlarm or some other firewall program that might be trying
to pop up an alert that Generals isn't handling very well and that's
crashing it?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Knight37 wrote:

> I wouldn't say disable the firewall, because that's dangerous, but if
> the application has some way of going in and viewing whether or not a
> program should cause an alert if it access the net or not, see if the
> exe for Generals is listed and set it so that it won't pop up for
> that program.

yeah you were right, i had to painfully talk him though the process of
manauly adding the generals.exe to the allow list in mcaffe, a program
ive never owned or used lol. fun days.
Now i just have to talk him into buying more ram, running generals
online is one thing, running it at anywhere near real time and smooth
is another lol.

--
DalienX

TRENDING THREADS