Seeking printer suggestions (laundry list inside)

mattthenewb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Hello,

I'm going off to college in the fall and assembling my own collection of computer gear. Recently I began looking at printers. I am use to multifunctions, but then realized going back to a standard printer would be better for my purposes. I am purchasing a laptop computer and wish to connect the printer to a Linksys printserver in Ad-hoc mod for trully wireless printing. I can then have a separate scanner for copy/scanning needs. I am considering this setup because multifunction printers require bidirectionality, which I don't think print servers can support. And, even if the print function at least works, I would definately not be able to scan. In that case, I would have to plug and unplug for scanning, and if I have a separate scanner it's just easier.

So, in regards to a printer, I am primarily concerned with price. Not only with the printer itself, but with the ink cartriges. I am looking for $50 and under, no bidirectionality, & cheap ink. USB 2.0 would be nice, but the printserver I'm getting supports 2.0, 1.0, and parallel. And, of course, as much print quality/speed I can get for the parameters I've specified. Currently I am looking at the Epson Stylus series, particularly the C64 & C44UX. The C64 is listed at $59 on their website, but I'm sure I could find that cheaper, and it's about 2x the quality and 50% more print speed for $10 more. The ink is very cost efficient as well, around $20 or less for catriges.

If anyone has any info about either of these (particularly the USB speed, it doesn't say so I assume 1.0), or suggestions for other products I might be interested in, I thank you in advance.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mattthenewb on 06/13/04 08:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
here yea go a dell a920 for 44.95
<A HREF="http://www.ascendtech.us/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={8D5D57F1-7EVEREST3E9-4879-B443-B89F29E2DA7B}&ic=PRTDELA920&eq=&Tp=" target="_new">http://www.ascendtech.us/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={8D5D57F1-7EVEREST3E9-4879-B443-B89F29E2DA7B}&ic=PRTDELA920&eq=&Tp=</A>