Windows 7 updates lasting hours

Stargate

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I'm installing some windows updates (53 in fact, yeah I know but it's not my fault ...) on someone's laptop and it's been at update number 6 for 5 hours now.
I can't get to the desktop anymore, someone tried to do a shutdown and now the shutdown screen is stuck at update 6.
Should I just leave it running for some 24 hours or so and call a pc technician/shop if
there's no progress?
Would it totally destroy Windows if I hardware-shut if off?
Thanks!

Solution
WHen it firsts starts the updates it sets a system restore point to revert to if something goes wrong - so wait awhile and then shut it down - when you reboot it should ask if you want to boot normally or in safe mode - choose safe mode and once it boots run a system restore to back before the updates started.
WHen it firsts starts the updates it sets a system restore point to revert to if something goes wrong - so wait awhile and then shut it down - when you reboot it should ask if you want to boot normally or in safe mode - choose safe mode and once it boots run a system restore to back before the updates started.

Solution

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
No, it's not system restore.
Theres a problem with windows update, you need to clear it's cache and start the downloads/installation over again.
Delete all the files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
And start windows update again.
Also, it's ok to turn off the computer if it's stuck on the shutdown process, no need to start in safe mode either. Safe mode is for when you can't start windows.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

hold on to the power button for like 5 secs and it will shut down

Stargate

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I deleted all the files in the Softwaredistribution/Downloads folder, but more than 50 updates still failed to install. Now it says there are no more updates waiting to be installed.
Maybe they'll come back later ...