Software to lock computer?

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hi there, im having a bit of an issue, im looking for something very specific, some kinda software where i can just initiate a lock on my computer, see i have 3 kids and my sons usually enter my room and totally destroy my desktop, along with opening many instances of games, even sending out email haha, doing things they are not suppose to be doing.

Anyway, i figured hey ill just put a really short screen saver password on my computer, well they still play with it, trying to use or get into it, they end up shutting it off via the button in the log in screen area after u move the mouse to deactivate the screen saver.

Im wondering if one of you guys know out there something i can run to lock my computer up while im not using it, but still keep running my programs/servers in the background, similar to a screen saver password only with no option to shut my computer off, i can disable the screen saver password in light of some other software where i could maybe just double click on something and then enter a password when i want to unlock it

if anyone has or knows a good piece of software they trust they can suggest to me im more then willing to give your suggestions a try, a quick Google search yields some results however i have trust issues, "what if i lock myself out of the computer permanently..etc" and would rather have some experienced users , plus maybe it will serve others looking for the same thing in the future

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
"Anyway, i figured hey ill just put a really short screen saver password on my computer, well they still play with it, trying to use or get into it, they end up shutting it off via the button in the log in screen area after u move the mouse to deactivate the screen saver. "

Not completely sure what you are trying to say here..

But what I would be looking at doing is finding a registry edit which will allow you to disable the power down button of the Windows Lock Screen.

Or create separate accounts and set the kids login and lock password to none,

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
i got windows 7 home premium edition, no the kids are too young to login to their own accounts, my oldest is only 3, he just plays with my computer, sure i load games on it some times for him, like sonic the hedge hog generations or what ever it is, ill boot it for him cause he doesnt quite get how to do it himself, so he'll play with my computer and i come back to it some times from work or something and he has destroyed it practically, hahah thats kinda my dilemma, during a screen saver, he will shut the computer off using the shut down button on accident im sure, which shuts off my servers and i cant have that

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
luckily he doesnt know how to use the physical shut down button on the computer... yet he just uses the mouse and clicks the shut down button at the screen saver login screen