IDE configuration

alejandrolanza

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2003
I just got a Lite On LTD 166s DVD ROM and I set it up as the secondary master, and put my old Sony crx100 (CDRW 4x2x) as the secondary slave. My HD is the primary master and there's no primary slave.
The problem is that now I can't enable DMA for the Sony, only for the Lite On. Any suggestions? I was going to put the Lite On as the primary slave, but somewhere around here I read that would cause the HD (UDMA 66) to run at the slave's max interface speed, which wouldn't be nice. TIA

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Pardon me if I'm wrong but I believe a 4x CDRW need no DMA enabled to function to its full potential.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

I would swap the DVDROM with the CDRW, CDRW/Master,DVDROM/Slave of the secondary IDE, and leave the Primary like you've got it.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

alejandrolanza

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2003
Thanks for the responses. What's with legacy devices? I had switched the rw to master and dvd to slave and then only the rw could be dma enabled. Then I realized that the IDE1 cable was too short to reach any of the drives, so I didn't try putting any of the two as primary slave. But searching the message board somebody said that he disabled his audio legacy support and just for the [-peep-] of it I disabled the floppy legacy support on my bios (why was it even enabled? don't ask me), and guess what? all 3 IDEs can be dma enabled now, weird if you ask me, an IRQ thing maybe? don't know.
And yes, 4x doesn't need DMA for burning, but under AudioCatalyst 2.0 (mp3 encoding) the rw w/dma is better than the dvd w/dma, because I get a lot of speed errors with the later, I guess I need newer software for mp3 ripping, any suggestions?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I suggest you ditch that old and tired burner and get a nice fast liteon 48x burner... they really dont cost very much, and you will never get a buffer underrun again! (as well as solving your DMA issues)

<b>Americans generally do the right thing, after first exhausting all the available alternatives - Winston Churchill</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>