Data card question

briant

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

I have a Merlin C201 data card for my laptop.
Will a Sierra Wireless AirCard 550 get better reception with its antenna
(or any other reason)?
There's a place I go quite often that I get terrible signal with the Merlin
card, I'm wondering if the 550 will do any better?

TIA
Brian

In article <10ql07710jis136@news.supernews.com>, brian@NOSPAMisanti.net
says...
> I have a Merlin C201 data card for my laptop.
> Will a Sierra Wireless AirCard 550 get better reception with its antenna
> (or any other reason)?
> There's a place I go quite often that I get terrible signal with the Merlin
> card, I'm wondering if the 550 will do any better?
>
> TIA
> Brian

I don't *know* this for sure, but have seen both a Merlin and the Sierra
card when I worked in a SPCS call center. At that time, both cards
seemed to get the same coverage at that location.

Given the relatively large amount of electrical/electrnic activity going
on right within a few centimeters of the card's antenna (internal or
not), I suspect it won't make much of a difference.

--
RØß
O/Siris

briant

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

Just an update,
I bought a Sierra Wireless AirCard 550 and went to the same place I was
having problems with the Merlin card (my in-laws) and it, the 550, worked
great!!
Big difference over the Merlin.
Good signal and speeds range from 53-90 kbps down.

"BrianT" <brian@NOSPAMisanti.net> wrote in message
>I have a Merlin C201 data card for my laptop.
> Will a Sierra Wireless AirCard 550 get better reception with its antenna
> (or any other reason)?
> There's a place I go quite often that I get terrible signal with the
> Merlin card, I'm wondering if the 550 will do any better?
>
> TIA
> Brian

TRENDING THREADS