how to record guitar distortion without things getting mud..

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
March 6, 2005 6:19:15 PM

when i record with my buddies and i play my drums fairly lightly and they play
clean guitar, everything we record is nice a crisp sounding, i can get the
mixdowns plenty loud, the toms sound full, the kick comes in nice and clear,
etc.. if we turn it up a notch and play hard rock with distortion, etc..
everything becomes kinda muddy, can't hear the kick well in the recordings,
toms sound limp, etc.. why is this and is and what can i do to fix it?
thanks!
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 6:19:16 PM

Hi Shaun
I will gladly send you a PDF on mixing from my experience.
It might help
kevin doyle
March 7, 2005 12:06:33 AM

>Hi Shaun
>I will gladly send you a PDF on mixing from my experience.
>It might help
>kevin doyle

awesome! emailing you
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:34:45 AM

"shaun" <shaun@gmail.com> wrote in message news:TbFWd.333$JH1.54522@news20.bellglobal.com...
> when i record with my buddies and i play my drums fairly lightly and they play
> clean guitar, everything we record is nice a crisp sounding, i can get the
> mixdowns plenty loud, the toms sound full, the kick comes in nice and clear,
> etc.. if we turn it up a notch and play hard rock with distortion, etc..
> everything becomes kinda muddy, can't hear the kick well in the recordings,
> toms sound limp, etc..

> why is this

You haven't had enough experience yet in dealing with a variety of
changing sources when you've been recording.

> and what can i do to fix it?

Several years of continued practice.

May I assume that you only have a couple of mics placed somewhere
in a room that your band is jamming in, and that you're just recording
them straight to some computer software? Even if you are using
several mics, may I also assume that you are still all playing very close
together in the same room? May I also assume that you are operating
your recording equipment (whatever it may be) in this same room?

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

>May I assume that you only have a couple of mics placed somewhere
>in a room that your band is jamming in, and that you're just recording
>them straight to some computer software? Even if you are using
>several mics, may I also assume that you are still all playing very close
>together in the same room? May I also assume that you are operating
>your recording equipment (whatever it may be) in this same room?

yes :)
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 8:10:28 AM

"shaun" <shaun@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%2RWd.5916$JH1.302015@news20.bellglobal.com...
> >May I assume that you only have a couple of mics placed somewhere
> >in a room that your band is jamming in, and that you're just recording
> >them straight to some computer software? Even if you are using
> >several mics, may I also assume that you are still all playing very close
> >together in the same room? May I also assume that you are operating
> >your recording equipment (whatever it may be) in this same room?
>
> yes :)

Tell us a little bit about the equipment you are using, the space you are
recording in, what instruments you are recording - - and very generally,
how you've interfaced your gear for recording.... number of mics & tracks,
do you have a harware mixer? Etc....

Also, another group or two that may be able to cater to your questions with
more frequency, would be alt.music.4-track and alt.music.home-studio
Both of those are populated by people who probably share your problems
and your questions.

DM
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:54:13 AM

shaun wrote:

> when i record with my buddies and i play my drums fairly lightly and they play
> clean guitar, everything we record is nice a crisp sounding, i can get the
> mixdowns plenty loud, the toms sound full, the kick comes in nice and clear,
> etc.. if we turn it up a notch and play hard rock with distortion, etc..
> everything becomes kinda muddy, can't hear the kick well in the recordings,
> toms sound limp, etc.. why is this and is and what can i do to fix it?
> thanks!

I'm guessing, but it's probably muddy in the room
when you play harder. You're having fun, and don't
notice it so much.

Guitar players ( me too ) usually like more
distortion than sounds good recorded. If you
listen for it on records you think have good
tone, they're not as distorted as you think
they are.

Experiment with reducing gain on guitar amps,
and make sure the drums are well tuned. Out of
tune drums'll muddy things up. You can also
double cleaner parts in to mix with distorted
ones - it can help define things.

And you may want to mic a little closer.

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous

crap no! don't mic closer... just turn the pa or mixer down a bit ... thats why clean sounds good but not the heavy stufff...its LOUDER!!! I had the same problem if you wanted to know...
Anonymous
January 25, 2009 1:54:12 AM

these guys that think you hafta have $10000000000000000 budgets and recording studios just to have fun are seriously dreaming!
April 21, 2009 11:14:21 PM

dude.......yeah.....i have a crazy low budget and have two mics, my guitar and Amp, a mixer and my mac. That's it. I have no idea what to do. Help would be greatly appreciated with recording quality distortion, and please speak in english, like you're talking to a four year old.
March 9, 2010 11:37:23 PM

Quote:

Hi Shaun
I will gladly send you a PDF on mixing from my experience.
It might help
kevin doyle

please send me that pdf i cant seem to get the distorted guitar to sound right..

im using a custom electric, (in which i love the sound it produces) with a tascam digital interface. Im using a digitech like multi-pedal in the middle for the disortion, and although i like the sound through the amp, once in cubase on a track , sounds alone, and muddy.

any help appreciated

matt.mcbride@live.com
April 22, 2010 7:21:47 PM

man, if you can get your drummer some headphones, so he can hear your input, you could try isolating the guitar amps by having them in another room, or even just turning them away from the drummer. assuming youve got enough mics to get ok drums, and your guitars seperatly.
!