Miniature Live Setup

Last response: in Home Audio
March 6, 2005 10:40:54 AM

What's the absolute smallest setup I can get with high quality sound
and these features for playing live? I don't need an amp.

Vocal Chain: Mic Preamp w/ phantom mono, then limiter, compressor,
reverb, delay in stereo. Technically I only need delay on one channel.
The DBX provocal looks nice though it's interface is lousy and I
still need a mixer.

Guitar Chain: Instrument amp like Para DI, compressor, aural exciter.
Aural Exciters seem to be independent and not added into other
processors from what I see.

Thanks

More about : miniature live setup

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:56:37 PM

I am playing songs like Magaritaville in tiny clubs. I really like a
touch of reverb and delay on my vocals and a compressor/limiter keeps
me in the pocket and keeps peaks under control

This is for a Martin acoustic Guitar that has Pick up the world
pickups. I already play it through a Para Di. The aural exciter
makes the highs sound really nice. I currently play through an old
Aphex aural exciter. Thanks for any ideas.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:53:14 PM

I will need a mixer, but no amp cuz my PA has an amp. Ideally the
mixer would have all this stuff in it.
March 6, 2005 3:54:47 PM

size is the critical parameter. It needs to be as small as possible
for convenience.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 10:05:50 PM

bringmewater wrote:

> What's the absolute smallest setup I can get with high quality sound
> and these features for playing live? I don't need an amp.

Playing what kind of music live, and playing it where? Venue size?

> Vocal Chain: Mic Preamp w/ phantom mono, then limiter, compressor,
> reverb, delay in stereo. Technically I only need delay on one channel.
> The DBX provocal looks nice though it's interface is lousy and I
> still need a mixer.

Why do you think you need all that just to sing live?

> Guitar Chain: Instrument amp like Para DI, compressor, aural exciter.
> Aural Exciters seem to be independent and not added into other
> processors from what I see.

What kind of guitar? What kind of music? Why an "aural exciter"? Doesn't
the music have some excitement to it?

--
ha
Anonymous

In article <1110142394.594749.134520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> bringmewater@gmail.com writes:

> I will need a mixer, but no amp cuz my PA has an amp. Ideally the
> mixer would have all this stuff in it.

Gawd, I'm getting tired of people not giving all the information
(apoligies if I missed it in an earlier message, but the answers
indicate that it's missing).

What's your "PA?" Most PA equipment has a mixer. I can't figure out
what you're missing, or what you want,

March 6, 2005 11:31:03 PM

bringmewater wrote:

> I am playing songs like Magaritaville in tiny clubs. I really like a
> touch of reverb and delay on my vocals and a compressor/limiter keeps
> me in the pocket and keeps peaks under control
>
> This is for a Martin acoustic Guitar that has Pick up the world
> pickups. I already play it through a Para Di. The aural exciter
> makes the highs sound really nice. I currently play through an old
> Aphex aural exciter. Thanks for any ideas.

But you don't need an amp? Nor a mixer? You want to plug your own rig
into the house system?

--
ha
Anonymous

The Pa is just a sepearate pair of speakers and an amp. Nothing fancy.
Thanks for any help. You guys are the greatest.

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <1110142394.594749.134520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>
bringmewater@gmail.com writes:

> > I will need a mixer, but no amp cuz my PA has an amp. Ideally the
> > mixer would have all this stuff in it.
>
> Gawd, I'm getting tired of people not giving all the information
> (apoligies if I missed it in an earlier message, but the answers
> indicate that it's missing).
>
> What's your "PA?" Most PA equipment has a mixer. I can't figure out
> what you're missing, or what you want,

March 7, 2005 7:37:12 AM

Kurt, Thanks for the reply. The only problem is the RNC doesn't appear
to have two independent compressors so the guitar and vocal would be
fixed on one set of shared settings. Since I need a mixer anyways a
1202 or such would solve my preamp/eq probs too.

Are any of the mixers with effects using Stereo effects? The manuals
don't make them clear at all.

> I still think someone could build a *really* nice little acoustic
system with an FMR RNP and an SRM-350. Feed the pickup into the DI of
one channel (or mic the instrument), put the vocal mic into the other
input, and use a passive combiner to mix the two outputs of the RNP.
Add RNC or Speck EQ as needed. This will fit in 1U or less (1½ if you
use both the EQ and the RNC.)
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:26:33 PM

Effects you can stand! haha Do any of them sound any good regarding
reverbs on the mixers with effects? The Mackie, Behringer, Yamaha?
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:28:32 PM

Also can any of the efx mixers do two efx at once like Verb and Delay.
I would like to have my vocal channel with 2 channels like this:

ch1: vocal with reverb
ch2: same vocal with reverb and delay

Thanks again guys.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:03:24 PM

In article <1110198198.785868.71310@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> bringmewater@gmail.com writes:

> The Pa is just a sepearate pair of speakers and an amp. Nothing fancy.
> Thanks for any help. You guys are the greatest.

OK, so you need a mixer, and if you want to avoid outboard equipment,
you need one with effects you can stand, and perhaps a direct
instrument input. Go to a music store and look around. You'll find
something like that within your budget.

March 7, 2005 3:03:25 PM

In article <1110199032.509536.314070@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> bringmewater@gmail.com writes:

> Are any of the mixers with effects using Stereo effects? The manuals
> don't make them clear at all.

Most of them have a stereo effect processor, but they only have one of
them. This means you can't use a reverb on your voice and a chorus on
your guitar in the same song. Also, few small mixers have built-in
compression.

While you might want to have a compressor on your voice, I wouldn't
recommend using one on your guitar. When you're the singer, the band,
and the sound engineer, you need to maintain a certain degree of
control in your own performance. Don't depend on compression to
replace proper level setting or protecting the audience from
occasional bursts of enthusiasm on your your part.

March 7, 2005 4:30:36 PM

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> I still think someone could build a *really* nice little acoustic system
> with an FMR RNP and an SRM-350. Feed the pickup into the DI of one
> channel (or mic the instrument), put the vocal mic into the other input,
> and use a passive combiner to mix the two outputs of the RNP.

After looking at the RNP circuit diagram, it occurred to me that the best way to mic the channels would probably be via the insert points. Called McQ to verify and he agreed, even going to the point of measuring distortion on a couple of proposed configurations.

Result: Short the two insert points directly and you get increasing distortion with input levels above +26 (at zero gain.) The solution is to bridge the channels with a 1-2k resistor (which drops the distortion.) So make a cable with two TRS plugs, short the tips & rings, and put a resistor in series with the conductor that connects them. You now have a two-channel mixer with two isolated, buffered, balanced mono outs.

Hank and I are going to try it this weekend...
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:37:36 PM

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> After looking at the RNP circuit diagram, it occurred to me that the
> best way to mic the channels

Uh, MIX the channels of course ;>
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:09:31 PM

In article <1110219993.907058.145240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<bringmewater@gmail.com> wrote:
>Effects you can stand! haha Do any of them sound any good regarding
>reverbs on the mixers with effects? The Mackie, Behringer, Yamaha?

Not that I have heard. However, it's amazing how terrrible a reverb
you can get away with in a live situation if you EQ the top end off of
the reverb send and use just enough reverb that you barely notice it.
--scott
March 7, 2005 9:41:52 PM

In article <1110219993.907058.145240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> bringmewater@gmail.com writes:

> Effects you can stand! haha Do any of them sound any good regarding
> reverbs on the mixers with effects? The Mackie, Behringer, Yamaha?

The reverb on the Mackie CFX is tolerable for live work, though I
would probalby look for something better for a recording mix. While I
realize it's not your thing, the spring reverb program sounds a whole
lot like a guitar amplifier reverb. But you get only one - you can't
get a reverb on your voice and a delay or chorus on the guitar without
using an external effect processor for one or the other.

I don't know what the Behringer, Yamaha, Mackie DFX, and upcoming
Tapco built-in effects are like, but I suppose they're usable for
lounge type lizard performance. Look for one that has a footswitch
jack to mute the effect processor so you can kill it easily when you
talk between songs.

March 8, 2005 12:00:05 AM

In article <393vfqF5tnkmeU1@individual.net> kurt@nv.net writes:

> > I still think someone could build a *really* nice little acoustic system
> > with an FMR RNP and an SRM-350. Feed the pickup into the DI of one
> > channel (or mic the instrument), put the vocal mic into the other input,
> > and use a passive combiner to mix the two outputs of the RNP.
>
> After looking at the RNP circuit diagram, it occurred to me that the best way
> to mic the channels would probably be via the insert points.

Mic the channels? Or do you mean combine the channels?

> Result: Short the two insert points directly and you get increasing distortion
> with input levels above +26 (at zero gain.) The solution is to bridge the
> channels with a 1-2k resistor (which drops the distortion.) So make a cable
> with two TRS plugs, sh
> ort the tips & rings, and put a resistor in series with the conductor that
> connects them.

Ch1 Send--------------+

Ch1 Return------------+

< 1K resistor

Ch2 Send--------------+

Ch2 Return------------+

Like that? Taking the output from either channel?

You now have a two-channel mixer with two isolated, buffered,
> balanced mono outs.
>
> Hank and I are going to try it this weekend...

March 8, 2005 8:07:17 AM

Channel 1 is the vocal and goes into mixer channel 1.

The goal is for the output to have a stereo image,
compression/limiter, reverb in both channels of the stereo image with
delay in the right channel. It would be nice if the mixers with built
in FX allowed this but it doesn't appear so. So I'm trying to come up
with a TINY portable system to carry around to gigs and not require a
rack of stuff to to this. So far the DBX Provocal seems the only
alternative with 1 U rack space. I would love to find an even smaller
box or mixer with FX that can do this.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:08:50 PM

bringmewater@gmail.com wrote:
> What's the absolute smallest setup I can get with high quality sound
> and these features for playing live? I don't need an amp.
>
> Vocal Chain: Mic Preamp w/ phantom mono, then limiter, compressor,
> reverb, delay in stereo. Technically I only need delay on one
channel.
> The DBX provocal looks nice though it's interface is lousy and I
> still need a mixer.
>
> Guitar Chain: Instrument amp like Para DI, compressor, aural
exciter.
> Aural Exciters seem to be independent and not added into other
> processors from what I see.

You might like to look at a TC Helicon Voice live for your voice
processing. You can change vocal effect patches with your foot, and
even add autotuned background vocals. <g>

That and a Pendulum Acoustic Guitar Micpre, both line in to say,
even a Mackie 1402 ( has decent sized faders ) and it should lend to a
fairly passable presentation, sound-wise.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
March 8, 2005 1:15:00 PM

<bringmewater@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Channel 1 is the vocal and goes into mixer channel 1.
>
> The goal is for the output to have a stereo image,
> compression/limiter, reverb in both channels of the stereo image with
> delay in the right channel. It would be nice if the mixers with built
> in FX allowed this but it doesn't appear so. So I'm trying to come up
> with a TINY portable system to carry around to gigs and not require a
> rack of stuff to to this. So far the DBX Provocal seems the only
> alternative with 1 U rack space. I would love to find an even smaller
> box or mixer with FX that can do this.

This thread is what happens when local pro stores disappear in the shadow of
ZZounds and MusiciansFriend. Used to be these questions were asked of, and
answered by your guy in the pro sound department. If nothing else, you actually
got to touch the gear and listen to the sounds to make comparisons and
decisions.

Not that I'm a luddite -- I enjoy online shopping as much as the next guy -- but
there are some things you just have to show up in person for. This thread looks
like a shopping list in the making for an online purchase. If so, you may want
to find out how much is the return shipping on anything that doesn't work out
for you.

John
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:12:04 PM

I'm in Charleston, SC and they don't have a clue regarding Pro Gear and
they don't stock anything and that was before the internet. Oh they
have lots and lots of $200 guitars though.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:13:22 PM

Delay only on vocals.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 3:18:53 PM

In article <1110287237.962390.128790@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> bringmewater@gmail.com writes:

> The goal is for the output to have a stereo image,
> compression/limiter, reverb in both channels of the stereo image with
> delay in the right channel.

Have you actualy heard what you're describing? And in a venue that's
appropriate for a small sound system?

If there's a delay in the right channel, what's it delayed from? I
think you mentioned delay on the guitar. Are you thinking of having
the direct guitar going to the left speaker and a delayed version
coming out the right? That would sound pretty funny. Remember that in
a small club, people are almost sitting closer to one speaker than the
other. Better to pan the guitar and the delay to the center, perhaps
each one just a touch off center, but mostly with both the direct and
delay in both channels.

It's typical for reverb to be in stereo, but with the primary source
panned to the center. This will give a sense of stereo but will assure
that everyone will hear pretty much the same thing.

You may have something unusual in mind, but you might be imagining a
setup that just wouldn't work acoustically.

March 8, 2005 4:04:09 PM

Scott, great advice !!! You're the best
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 5:00:20 PM

I do this same sort of thing. I use:

Shure Beta 57 Mic

Behringer 602 mixer

Boss SE-50 Stereo Effects Unit (delay, reverb, compression; whatever
you want, it's there)

Stewert PA 100B amp. (90 watts a side)

Electro Voice S-40 speakers (mounted on mic stands)

It all fits in a small rolling suitcase along with a small case for mic
stands (one for the vocal mic and two for the speakers). The speakers
are small, but are fine for vocal and acoustic guitar. The SE-50 is
no longer around but others are all over.

There are now lots of powered mixers with effects around that will do
the same thing.

Fred
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 5:16:41 PM

<bringmewater@gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm in Charleston, SC and they don't have a clue regarding Pro Gear and
>they don't stock anything and that was before the internet. Oh they
>have lots and lots of $200 guitars though.

So, fly somebody in from Atlanta.
--scott

March 8, 2005 9:05:34 PM

In article <1110309124.757434.324050@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> bringmewater@gmail.com writes:

> I'm in Charleston, SC and they don't have a clue regarding Pro Gear and
> they don't stock anything and that was before the internet.

So go to Atlanta, or Raleigh, or Washington. You want to see and hear
stuff, not read about it. What's a day of travel compared to buying
the wrong gear? Or getting so many recommendations that you never make
a decision?

March 8, 2005 9:06:37 PM

bringmewater@gmail.com wrote:
> Channel 1 is the vocal and goes into mixer channel 1.
>
> The goal is for the output to have a stereo image,
> compression/limiter, reverb in both channels of the stereo image

A stereo image from a mono source? What's wrong with mono PA?
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:07:21 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <393vfqF5tnkmeU1@individual.net> kurt@nv.net writes:
>

>>>I still think someone could build a *really* nice little acoustic system
>>>with an FMR RNP and an SRM-350. Feed the pickup into the DI of one
>>>channel (or mic the instrument), put the vocal mic into the other input,
>>>and use a passive combiner to mix the two outputs of the RNP.
>>
>> After looking at the RNP circuit diagram, it occurred to me that the best way
>> to mix the channels would probably be via the insert points.
>

> Ch1 Send--------------+
> |
> Ch1 Return------------+
> |

> < 1K resistor
> >

> Ch2 Send--------------+
> |
> Ch2 Return------------+
>

> Like that? Taking the output from either channel?

Yes, precisely.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 7:25:58 AM

What's wrong with mono PA? I don't like it. Is that OK ?
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 7:33:22 AM

Fred, Your setup sounds really nice. Thanks for taking the time to
post it. It is very much what I'm looking for. Are you using one of
those SBK tilt cases that allow the mixer to fit in the case and tilt
up when in use?

Thanks
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 7:34:26 AM

Fred, also you say there are lots of powered mixers that will do the
same thing. Are there any that will do Stereo effects so I can have on
channel with compression/verb and another with compression/verb/delay?

Thanks again!
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:52:06 AM

bringmewater wrote ...
> What's wrong with mono PA? I don't like it. Is that OK ?

Do you think you could sell CDs with only the left (or right)
channel at full price? If you had your choice of tickets:
* Stereo seating (limited supply)
* Left channel only seating
* Right channel only seating

Which tickets do you think would be sold?
Which tickets do you think you would have to discount (or give away)?
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:41:15 PM

In article <1110371158.188643.44140@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
<bringmewater@gmail.com> wrote:
>What's wrong with mono PA? I don't like it. Is that OK ?

In a lot of rooms, it's not okay. Stereo is great if you have the room
for it, but sadly those places are in a very small minority.
--scott
March 9, 2005 1:42:31 PM

If my left channel was really smoking then maybe ;-)
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:46:33 PM

When I begin playing large venues in 20 years I'll keep that in mind.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:08:23 PM

In article <1110371158.188643.44140@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> bringmewater@gmail.com writes:

> What's wrong with mono PA? I don't like it. Is that OK ?

It not be OK for the audience. Is that a problem?

March 9, 2005 4:34:20 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article <1110371158.188643.44140@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> <bringmewater@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What's wrong with mono PA? I don't like it. Is that OK ?
>

> In a lot of rooms, it's not okay. Stereo is great if you have the room
> for it, but sadly those places are in a very small minority.

And IIRC we are talking about one voice and one guitar here, right?
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 9:45:10 PM

Richard Crowley wrote:
> bringmewater wrote ...
>
>>What's wrong with mono PA? I don't like it. Is that OK ?
>

> Do you think you could sell CDs with only the left (or right)
> channel at full price? If you had your choice of tickets:
> * Stereo seating (limited supply)
> * Left channel only seating
> * Right channel only seating
>
> Which tickets do you think would be sold?
> Which tickets do you think you would have to discount (or give away)?

a cd does not have the ambient sound of the musicians filling the room
i always mix stereo and never try to deliver the same experiance to
every seat
the audio must follow the visual
so if your far stage left the instruments far stage left will be louder
for you than people far stage right
match the audio experiance to what the eyes are telling you it should
sound like
George
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:20:30 PM

Richard Crowley wrote:

> Do you think you could sell CDs with only the left (or right)
> channel at full price? If you had your choice of tickets:
> * Stereo seating (limited supply)
> * Left channel only seating
> * Right channel only seating

> Which tickets do you think would be sold?
> Which tickets do you think you would have to discount (or give away)?

The nicest little hall around here, an older theater that still shows
movies, but which put a stage in for local theatricalities, seat 280. Of
those a third might be able to hear something resembling stereo that
correlated sensibly with what is seen on stage. And that's why I've run
FOH in mono there very often.

--
ha
Anonymous

In article <3998enF5rrj72U1@individual.net> kurt@nv.net writes:

> And IIRC we are talking about one voice and one guitar here, right?

I believe so. Stereo effects on a guitar can work even in a small room
where people are likely to be closer to one speaker than the other.
People on opposite sides of the room won't hear quite the same thing
but they'll both hear a guitar with an effect, and those closer to the
center will hear the effect in stereo.

The voice and guitar should be centered, however.

March 10, 2005 3:02:56 AM

"George Gleason" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> a cd does not have the ambient sound of the musicians filling the room
> i always mix stereo and never try to deliver the same experiance to
> every seat
> the audio must follow the visual
> so if your far stage left the instruments far stage left will be louder
> for you than people far stage right
> match the audio experiance to what the eyes are telling you it should
> sound like
> George

But wouldn't you generally get that from the instruments (or the amps) on
that side of the stage? What about those sitting on the left side of the
stage who can't hear what's going on the right? (Not disputing your
expertise, George - I'm curious...)

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

Dave Martin wrote:
> "George Gleason" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>

>>a cd does not have the ambient sound of the musicians filling the room
>>i always mix stereo and never try to deliver the same experiance to
>>every seat
>>the audio must follow the visual
>>so if your far stage left the instruments far stage left will be louder
>>for you than people far stage right
>>match the audio experiance to what the eyes are telling you it should
>>sound like
>>George
>

> But wouldn't you generally get that from the instruments (or the amps) on
> that side of the stage? What about those sitting on the left side of the
> stage who can't hear what's going on the right? (Not disputing your
> expertise, George - I'm curious...)

i walk the venue
I don't experience a absence of anything
perhaps better described as diminished but that is what I am going for
the same sound you would hear without a pa only louder
George
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 1:47:02 PM

bringmewater@gmail.com wrote:
> When I begin playing large venues in 20 years I'll keep that in mind.

The same laws of physics apply. How much of the audience area do
you think you are realistically going to be able to cover with stereo
imaging? Would say, 20% audience coverage in stereo be good enough to
make you happy? If you *really* want stereo acoustic guitar for
"artistic reasons" I'd use a stereo acoustic guitar amp on the stage,
but in the house PA I'd use exteremly narrow stereo if at all, even
with the vocal reverb.

Mono is very underated - really.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
"the large print giveth and the small taketh away..." Tom Waits
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 6:29:46 PM

> i walk the venue
> I don't experience a absence of anything
> perhaps better described as diminished but that is what I am going for
> the same sound you would hear without a pa only louder

Gotcha - thanks.

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

Dave Martin wrote:

> "George Gleason" wrote...
> > i walk the venue
> > I don't experience a absence of anything
> > perhaps better described as diminished but that is what I am going for
> > the same sound you would hear without a pa only louder

> Gotcha - thanks.

But in order for me to achieve that, I have to run mono in the room I
mentioned. Otherwise, since some of the front seats are very close to
the stage, and both too far left and right, using stereo in the PA means
folks can't hear what's happening on the other side of the stage, just
like they'd experience without a PA, being subject to the inverse square
law. Running mono in there lets me get more of the on-stage sonic
picture to more of the audients.

As it happens the Townhall Theater in Quincy CA is a very nice venue for
acoustic music. Grisman and crew played their opening tune, after which
David commented, "Wow, this is a very nice sounding hall, isn't it?" It
works very less well for any music that is overly amplified, becuase the
room's a litle too live for that.

--
ha
Anonymous

hank alrich wrote:
> Dave Martin wrote:
>

>>"George Gleason" wrote...
>>
>>>i walk the venue
>>>I don't experience a absence of anything
>>>perhaps better described as diminished but that is what I am going for
>>>the same sound you would hear without a pa only louder
>

>>Gotcha - thanks.
>

> But in order for me to achieve that, I have to run mono in the room I
> mentioned.

anything from mono center only speaker to indvidual studio monitors
working as foh for each musician
what ever achieves the no pa sound best
George
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 7:26:52 PM

Fred, Do you put all of this equipment in ONE case? How do you setup?
Is your SE-50 and Stewart amp in a rack where can tweak things or is
it all on the floor in the case? Can you tell me what case you use?

Thanks so much.

!