#777 issues

I very occasionally use #777 to check email on the road by connecting
my Palm Tungsten to my phone. However, the connection only works in
some loacals. I have been successful in Chicago, Milwaukee, Boston,
DC, but not in Omaha (where I live), Minneapolis, Orlando, and,
recently San Antonia. Any ideas why this happens?

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

John O'Keefe wrote:
> I very occasionally use #777 to check email on the road by connecting
> my Palm Tungsten to my phone. However, the connection only works in
> some loacals. I have been successful in Chicago, Milwaukee, Boston,
> DC, but not in Omaha (where I live), Minneapolis, Orlando, and,
> recently San Antonia. Any ideas why this happens?

I've connected via my phone from my laptop in Omaha and Minneapolis
recently (last few months) without problems. While not recently I've
also used my phone to successfully connect my laptop in Orlando and San
Antonio and lots of other Sprint served cities. I don't think your
problems are likely to be Sprint network related, at least not beyond
some sort of transient problem.

Rick

jeff

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I was in Orlando and the Tampa Bay area. I
used #777 to connect my laptop to check my personal e-mail as well as to
connect to my employer's VPN, and I had no significant problems.

Jeff

"Rick" <Rick@rick.net> wrote in message
> John O'Keefe wrote:
>> I very occasionally use #777 to check email on the road by connecting
>> my Palm Tungsten to my phone. However, the connection only works in
>> some loacals. I have been successful in Chicago, Milwaukee, Boston,
>> DC, but not in Omaha (where I live), Minneapolis, Orlando, and,
>> recently San Antonia. Any ideas why this happens?
>
> I've connected via my phone from my laptop in Omaha and Minneapolis
> recently (last few months) without problems. While not recently I've also
> used my phone to successfully connect my laptop in Orlando and San Antonio
> and lots of other Sprint served cities. I don't think your problems are
> likely to be Sprint network related, at least not beyond some sort of
> transient problem.
>
> Rick

Hmmm, interesting. It is either my phone or my pda. I guess I'll
have to do some testing. Thanks for the replys.

JJO

In article <f97245cc.0411282000.78175e93@posting.google.com>, John
O'Keefe <jokeefe@creighton.edu> wrote:

> I very occasionally use #777 to check email on the road by connecting
> my Palm Tungsten to my phone. However, the connection only works in
> some loacals. I have been successful in Chicago, Milwaukee, Boston,
> DC, but not in Omaha (where I live), Minneapolis, Orlando, and,
> recently San Antonia. Any ideas why this happens?

John --

I use #777 occasionally to connect a Mac laptop.

I have intermittant problems, but I have not been able to find any
consistent pattern. I don't think my problem is a location-related
issue... It might fail in Washington DC but work an hour later.

When it fails, the symptom I see is when I try to connect, the Mac
networking software trying to dial the USB-connected phone says "..
device does not exist." Often changing the modem script, removing and
re-plugging the phone makes it work again. I'm using a Sanyo phone
FWIW.

-- Sally

Sally,

Thanks for the reply. I have only tried to make this connection using
my A500 and my Tungsten T. It has never worked in Omaha and always
worked in DC, for example. I am going to buy the new Sprint Bluetooth
phones as soon as it is available. Then I can see if my Mac :) will
connect. Anyway, the puzzel continues. Thanks for the reply.

-- John