Is my memory DOA?

teknewb

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2003
Hi,

I have a Microstar MS6195 mobo with 256 MB in 2 (16*8MB) sticks
I recently bought another 256mb stick as an upgrade (16*16MB) stick.
All memory is PC100 and same pin config.
I put the new stick in with the old ones and the pc will not boot, hanging on the checking NVRam prompt. I then took out all the sticks apart from the new one and tried it in all the slots, its still the same (hangs on checking nvram prompt), I removed the new one and put the old two back in and the pc works fine again. Is the new memory DOA or could it be something else. The fault only occurs when the new memory is installed.

Any advice very much appreciated - thanks
Thanks in advance

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably bad RAM. I wouldn't even bother with PC100 since PC133 is backwards compatable. Crucial is a top notch vender you might want to check.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Maybe your mobo can't support your new RAM. Are you sure your mobo can use a single 256MB RAM? Because some old mobo can only support up to 128MB in single slot. If you're sure then maybe what your mobo can't support is the 16*16MB memory module.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your memory timing settings could well be too high for the new RAM, turn down the settings & try again...

or the mem is knackered, if the board didnt support such that large a mem chip, it would boot usually but wouldnt list as much mem as you would expect...

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
nods... a common problem with older boards. There are certain limitations to how much ram you can put in one slot, and the capacity per side of stick.

i.e. you might be able to put in a double sides stick of 256mb ram (128mb per side)... but not a single sided one (256mb all on one side).

<b>Americans generally do the right thing, after first exhausting all the available alternatives - Winston Churchill</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>