Sprint wants to buy my highend cell phone for $50 in servi..

Last response: in Network Providers
November 29, 2004 12:48:15 AM

I have a Sanyo VM4500 camera phone which retails for more than $350 NOW
and which I bought few months ago. It's still one of the best phones around
with a camera, color lcd, video and audio capture.
Sprint sends me an offer by mail notifying me that they want me to recycle
this phone for... up $50 in service credit!

Are you kidding me.. SPRINT!!? What the hell would I trade away this still
very good phone for a lousy $50 service? Why do you send this lame offer.

Sp Sprint.. after you take this phone, what do you with these phones..
Cause I want to get one of them if you're giving them away for a good
price. Anyone knows what Sprint is trying to do with silly offer?

John Dalberg
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 1:55:17 AM

Calm down, John. I think Sprint is trying to collect old phones
languishing in drawers, in order to refurbish them and have them
available as warranty replacements. Or even old phones still in use, as
an additional incentive to trade-in an old model. I don't think they
want to take back your new one.

On the other hand, there are some people who have to have the very
newest model and buy two or three new phones each year. This is an
additional incentive for those folks to turn in their 6-month-old phone
for the latest, so Sprint can reclaim and refurbish the 6-month-old handset.

Theew was a short thread here about this called "Samsung SPH-A460
buyback" Oct. 18-17, 2004.

John Dalberg wrote:

> I have a Sanyo VM4500 camera phone which retails for more than $350 NOW
> and which I bought few months ago. It's still one of the best phones around
> with a camera, color lcd, video and audio capture.
> Sprint sends me an offer by mail notifying me that they want me to recycle
> this phone for... up $50 in service credit!
>
> Are you kidding me.. SPRINT!!? What the hell would I trade away this still
> very good phone for a lousy $50 service? Why do you send this lame offer.
>
> So Sprint.. after you take this phone, what do you with these phones..
> Cause I want to get one of them if you're giving them away for a good
> price. Anyone knows what Sprint is trying to do with silly offer?
>
> John Dalberg

November 29, 2004 11:26:22 AM

John needs to cut back on that coffee!!! Rediculous

"Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
> Calm down, John. I think Sprint is trying to collect old phones
> languishing in drawers, in order to refurbish them and have them
> available as warranty replacements. Or even old phones still in use, as
> an additional incentive to trade-in an old model. I don't think they
> want to take back your new one.
>
> On the other hand, there are some people who have to have the very
> newest model and buy two or three new phones each year. This is an
> additional incentive for those folks to turn in their 6-month-old phone
> for the latest, so Sprint can reclaim and refurbish the 6-month-old
handset.

> Theew was a short thread here about this called "Samsung SPH-A460
> buyback" Oct. 18-17, 2004.
>
> John Dalberg wrote:
> >
> > I have a Sanyo VM4500 camera phone which retails for more than $350 NOW
> > and which I bought few months ago. It's still one of the best phones
around
> > with a camera, color lcd, video and audio capture.
> > Sprint sends me an offer by mail notifying me that they want me to
recycle
> > this phone for... up $50 in service credit!
> >
> > Are you kidding me.. SPRINT!!? What the hell would I trade away this
still
> > very good phone for a lousy $50 service? Why do you send this lame
offer.

> > So Sprint.. after you take this phone, what do you with these phones..
> > Cause I want to get one of them if you're giving them away for a good
> > price. Anyone knows what Sprint is trying to do with silly offer?
> >
> > John Dalberg
>
> --
> Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A680
November 29, 2004 4:16:46 PM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:55:17 -0800, Frank Harris wrote:

> Calm down, John. I think Sprint is trying to collect old phones
> languishing in drawers, in order to refurbish them and have them
> available as warranty replacements. Or even old phones still in use, as
> an additional incentive to trade-in an old model. I don't think they
> want to take back your new one.
>
> On the other hand, there are some people who have to have the very
> newest model and buy two or three new phones each year. This is an
> additional incentive for those folks to turn in their 6-month-old phone
> for the latest, so Sprint can reclaim and refurbish the 6-month-old handset.
>
> Theew was a short thread here about this called "Samsung SPH-A460
> buyback" Oct. 18-17, 2004.

So where do you buy a refurbished phone. Sprint's site and the local Sprint
stores don't sell refusrbished phones.

John Dalberg
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:19:04 PM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:26:22 -0500, PDA Man wrote:

> John needs to cut back on that coffee!!! Rediculous

I don't drink coffee. (and it's spelled 'Ridiculous')

John Dalberg
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 5:16:00 PM

John Dalberg wrote:

> So where do you buy a refurbished phone. Sprint's site and the local Sprint
> stores don't sell refusrbished phones.
>
> John Dalberg

I'd bet they're using them as insurance replacements. You generally get a
refurbished phone if you lose your phone or it's damaged, and you have to file
a claim.

November 29, 2004 5:17:08 PM

John Dalberg wrote:

> I don't drink coffee. (and it's spelled 'Ridiculous')

No other carrier is even offering to buy back phones. If you want to sell your
phone, you may be able to sell it to them, or you can sell it to a private
party in person or over eBay, etc. No one is forcing you to sell it to Sprint.

Methinks thou dost protest too much...

November 29, 2004 9:35:35 PM

John Dalberg <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote:
> So where do you buy a refurbished phone. Sprint's site and the local
> Sprint stores don't sell refusrbished phones.

There should be a '?' at the end of your first sentence.

And it's spelled 'refurbished'.

> John Dalberg

Kevin M.
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
November 30, 2004 2:54:09 AM

> John Dalberg wrote:
>
> > I don't drink coffee. (and it's spelled 'Ridiculous')
>
> No other carrier is even offering to buy back phones. If you want to sell
your
> phone, you may be able to sell it to them, or you can sell it to a private
> party in person or over eBay, etc. No one is forcing you to sell it to
Sprint.

> Methinks thou dost protest too much...

Nextel buys back many of the current models when you upgrade to a different
phone.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 2:54:10 AM

shawn wrote:
> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>
>>John Dalberg wrote:
>>

>>>I don't drink coffee. (and it's spelled 'Ridiculous')
>>
>>No other carrier is even offering to buy back phones. If you want to sell
>
> your
>
>>phone, you may be able to sell it to them, or you can sell it to a private
>>party in person or over eBay, etc. No one is forcing you to sell it to
>
> Sprint.
>
>>Methinks thou dost protest too much...
>

> Nextel buys back many of the current models when you upgrade to a different
> phone.

This is the first I've heard of that happening...

November 30, 2004 5:00:20 PM

the program isn't a bad business idea. they pay you a little bit of
money and then forces you to buy a new phone and effectively lock you
into their network for even longer - one is less likely to leave right
after they got a new phone...

the best use of an old sprint phone imho is to pass them onto ppl who
doesn't need the latest and greatest gadget and then buy a new one for
youself.

--
btooth
November 30, 2004 6:38:34 PM

Frank Harris <frankbhX@xcompuservex.com> wrote:
> Calm down, John. I think Sprint is trying to collect old phones
> languishing in drawers, in order to refurbish them and have them
> available as warranty replacements. Or even old phones still in use, as
> an additional incentive to trade-in an old model. I don't think they
> want to take back your new one.
>
> On the other hand, there are some people who have to have the very
> newest model and buy two or three new phones each year. This is an
> additional incentive for those folks to turn in their 6-month-old phone
> for the latest, so Sprint can reclaim and refurbish the 6-month-old handset.
>
> Theew was a short thread here about this called "Samsung SPH-A460
> buyback" Oct. 18-17, 2004.

If they offered me more for my A680 than what I can get for it on EBay I
would probably upgrade to the Sanyo MM-7400 :-)

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
December 1, 2004 12:48:39 AM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:35:35 -0800, Kevin M. wrote:

> John Dalberg <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> So where do you buy a refurbished phone. Sprint's site and the local
>> Sprint stores don't sell refusrbished phones.
>
> There should be a '?' at the end of your first sentence.
>
> And it's spelled 'refurbished'.

How was it spelled in the first sentence!? Does it give you a hint that I
know how to spell it and the second time around was a clumsy keystroke?

>> John Dalberg
>
> Kevin M.
> "Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
> you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
> "Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 10:16:03 AM

John Dalberg <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:35:35 -0800, Kevin M. wrote:
>> John Dalberg <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> So where do you buy a refurbished phone. Sprint's site and
>>> the local Sprint stores don't sell refusrbished phones.
>>
>> There should be a '?' at the end of your first sentence.
>>
>> And it's spelled 'refurbished'.
>
> How was it spelled in the first sentence!? Does it give you a hint
> that I know how to spell it and the second time around was a clumsy
> keystroke?

Why does it bother you that I'm giving you your own smart ass attitude
back to you? If it does, it shouldn't.

> John Dalberg

Kevin M.
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 12:18:00 PM

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:16:03 -0800, Kevin M. wrote:

> John Dalberg <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There should be a '?' at the end of your first sentence.
>>>
>>> And it's spelled 'refurbished'.
>>
>> How was it spelled in the first sentence!? Does it give you a hint
>> that I know how to spell it and the second time around was a clumsy
>> keystroke?
>
> Why does it bother you that I'm giving you your own smart ass attitude
> back to you? If it does, it shouldn't.

Was that initial comment fired at you? If it wasn't, my comments shouldn't
bother you. I guess that makes you a smart ass too.

--
John Dalberg
Anonymous

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:54:09 GMT, shawn wrote:

> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>> John Dalberg wrote:
>>
>>> I don't drink coffee. (and it's spelled 'Ridiculous')
>>
>> No other carrier is even offering to buy back phones. If you want to sell
> your
>> phone, you may be able to sell it to them, or you can sell it to a private
>> party in person or over eBay, etc. No one is forcing you to sell it to
> Sprint.
>>
>> Methinks thou dost protest too much...
>
> Nextel buys back many of the current models when you upgrade to a different
> phone.

I guess my gripe was that I had a high end phone and it didn't take Sprint
long to entice me to spend even more. I also have a low end phone under a
different phone number yet I never received an offer to upgrade for it. So
they want the big spenders to spend even more but it ignores the people
with "no frills" phones. I just didn't like their attitude.

--
John Dalberg
Anonymous

"John Dalberg" <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:54:09 GMT, shawn wrote:
>
> > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message

> >> No other carrier is even offering to buy back phones. If you want to
sell
> > your
> >> phone, you may be able to sell it to them, or you can sell it to a
private
> >> party in person or over eBay, etc. No one is forcing you to sell it to
> > Sprint.
> >>
> >> Methinks thou dost protest too much...
> >
> > Nextel buys back many of the current models when you upgrade to a
different
> > phone.
>

> I guess my gripe was that I had a high end phone and it didn't take Sprint
> long to entice me to spend even more. I also have a low end phone under a
> different phone number yet I never received an offer to upgrade for it. So
> they want the big spenders to spend even more but it ignores the people
> with "no frills" phones. I just didn't like their attitude.

THEIR attitude?

All you said in your original post is that they sent you an offer to buy
back your phone. It's been explained to you why you received that offer.
They don't need your low end model. You don't have to take the offer. You
are the one who came in here with the attitude.

Bob

PS: You could turn that offer around by telling them you aren't interested
on the $50 for your high end model and ask them if they want to provide the
same $50 for your low end phone.
!