Sign in with
Your question

Notebook for video?

Last response: in Mobile Computing
March 1, 2003 1:25:26 AM

I am going to be buying a notebook soon to edit digital video while traveling. My understanding is that the performance of a notebook while editing video is greatly reduced due to the hard drives spinning so slow. Can this issue be resolved with an external desktop hard drive connected via firewire through one of those box's? If so, does anyone know what models have two firewire ports (one for the camera, one for the hard drive)? And how hard is it to get another firewire port added?

Thanks for any information,
Wes

More about : notebook video

March 1, 2003 5:28:11 AM

I know how you feel. I'm looking for a laptop for pro-audio production. I haven't really seen any laptops with two firewire ports built in, though I would thinkl it's easy enough to add one with a PCMCIA card. I think there may be firewire hubs out there as well if I remember correctly. As for throughput, I'm not sure if it will be that much of an advantage, especially if you've got the camera plugged in as well. I'd say the main thing is to pump up the memory.

What have you been considering for a laptop?

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A>
March 1, 2003 1:01:57 PM

I have been looking at ~1.5 GHz laptops with ~512 MB of memory. Other than that I really don't know. My cameras are Sony so I thought about buying a Sony to be consistent, but this is probably not that big of a deal. Obviously, I would like the latest and greatest (2.4 GHz, 1GB RAM, etc) but I just don't have the $$$. So if I am terribly limited by the 5400 rpm hard drive I might as well buy a cheap machine and just deal with it right?

Any input on good brands would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wes
March 1, 2003 8:34:46 PM

7200rpm Notebook HDD's are said to be on the board and will most likely be released this year. But the 5400rpm arent slow (They generally have very high density) and transfer at more than 30MB/s (mine does anyway and I do video editing so i notice the difference).

It is ofcourse slower than my Desktop's 7200rpm but that is to be expected. Why don't you get a notebook with USB2.0 and FireWire, connect your HDD to the USB2, and Camera's to FW?

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
!