802.11b Mix and Match?

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Hi. I'm trying to hook up a computer 40 feet away using a wireless ethernet to integrate into my existing LAN. I was wondering if its acceptable to Mix and Match brands. I was thinking I would get the Linksys WAP11 and the Addtron AWA-100 PCI card adaptor.
Now some questions...
Has anyone heard of/used Addtron products? I haven't, and they are my current choice becasuse they support both Win2k and Linux. Does anyone know of another adaptor that does as well?
Will the network work if I mix together these 2 brands?

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

bieees

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
Why not just get the same brand? It seems to me that you would nave a better chance getting them to communicate. But, if they both operate on the same IEEE protocol they are supposed to communicate. I am working with the Linksys wireless right now and am just having difficulties getting a Win2000 laptop and a two Win 98 laptops to recognize each other at the same time.

Stranger than you

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I need Linux support, but I like the LInksys WAP11 features.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
802.11b. All the devices should communicate. I have tested alot of brands and work with a couple. I have never had more than a passing problem here or there with cross manufacturer connectivity. Linksys wireless sux by the way. Signal output is poor. Decent feature set and interface to the AP but the performance is just not there. For SOHO stuff I like the SMC product. Builtin printserver is a nice touch.