ultra slow network performance in win 98SE

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
I have had this problem before also on a laptop of mine using a completely different network card. In Win 98SE I get really slow network performancejust a one meg file can take over 5 mins. The funny thing is, that the speed restriction is only one way! So copying over to another machine is fine. I have dual boot and if I go into win2000 it works fine both ways.

When using my ADSL I could only manage 7-8k per second and I was confused for ages blaming my isp or phone company for a poor line. booted into win2000 and to my surprise I started getting 60k per second, as my adsl connections plugs into my network card from a router there is definitely something wrong with my win98SE setup and a network card.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before, it's happenned to me on two seperate machines, so I'm thinking it may have happenned and I'm also thinking that there's a solution too :)

Thanks guys.

-----------------------------------
Don't extract the urine.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
only when I didn't change the default MTU's and RWIN I use Dr.TCP from DSLreports.com for that

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>