Anyone Heard of a Stargate 323 Digital Reverb?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
March 6, 2005 4:12:24 PM

Was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a Stargate 323 from Ursa
Major? I may have the opportunity to pick one up for pretty cheap. Best
I can tell it's an early digital reverb. I have never heard of one and I
can't seem to dig up much info about them on the net. Anyone ever use
one, or at least heard anything about them?

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:57:30 PM

In article <3912pnF5s2br3U1@individual.net> eric@Raw-Tracks.com writes:

> Was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a Stargate 323 from Ursa
> Major?

Yeah, it's one of those things that about once in ten years you read
an article about a producer who has one and thinks it's the greatest
thing since the stairwell in some long defunt studio. It's different,
grungy compared to current digital reverbs, and if it's really cheap
(like $50) you might find some use for it now and then. If you just
want a reverb, pick up whatever the current cheap Lexicon or TC is,
brand new.

March 6, 2005 11:53:29 PM

EricK <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote:
>Was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a Stargate 323 from Ursa
>Major? I may have the opportunity to pick one up for pretty cheap. Best
>I can tell it's an early digital reverb. I have never heard of one and I
>can't seem to dig up much info about them on the net. Anyone ever use
>one, or at least heard anything about them?

Basically, in the seventies, a lot of people wanted to build boxes that
emulated natural room reverb. Most of them built devices that didn't even
come close to accomplishing that, but which were interesting in their own
right, and some of which have become popular as effects units.

I don't know the Stargate, which is a later unit than any of the Ursa
Major units that I have used. But I believe it was designed by Chris
Moore who now runs Seven Woods Audio (www.sevenwoods.audio) which builds
a Space Station replacement that sounds a lot like the original. If
anyone knows the 323 as far as sound and future maintainability goes,
it's probably him.
--scott

March 7, 2005 2:28:56 AM

EricK wrote:
> Was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a Stargate 323 from Ursa
> Major? I may have the opportunity to pick one up for pretty cheap.
Best
> I can tell it's an early digital reverb. I have never heard of one
and I
> can't seem to dig up much info about them on the net. Anyone ever use

> one, or at least heard anything about them?
>

> --
> Eric
>
> www.Raw-Tracks.com
> www.Mad-Host.com

The Ursa Major stuff is fairly obscure, but has a very loyal
following. When I worked at a studio in Chicago (The Uberstudio) in
1998-1999 they had a Stargate 323. It sounded totally great. Chris
Moore, founder and inventor at Ursa Major, also invented the 8x32 which
also had some really great plate simulations, among others. Every once
in a blue moon a 323 shows up on eBay and in the past 3 years they've
consistantly sold for between $250-$500. There's one on eBay right now
(and an 8x32 as well). How cheap can you get one?

Oh yeah, there was also a "Stargate 626" which had twice as much
memory (8 programs). The 626 seems to be quite rare. All of the owner's
manuals and service manuals are available on Chris' website.
http://world.std.com/~cmoore/UrsaMajor_Documents.htm

Chris Moore also designed the ADR-68K reverb. At the time that AKG
bought Ursa Major they took over production and began badging the units
as the AKG ADR-68K. Supposedly there are some very rare units badged as
the URSA MAJOR "Aurora ADR68K" units drifting around. I've heard from
several people that it easily smokes the most sought after Lexicon
stuff, like the 224, while selling for considerably less than the used
Lexicon's.
March 8, 2005 10:33:12 PM

Paul Thomas wrote:

> The Ursa Major stuff is fairly obscure, but has a very loyal
> following. When I worked at a studio in Chicago (The Uberstudio) in
> 1998-1999 they had a Stargate 323. It sounded totally great. Chris
> Moore, founder and inventor at Ursa Major, also invented the 8x32 which
> also had some really great plate simulations, among others. Every once
> in a blue moon a 323 shows up on eBay and in the past 3 years they've
> consistantly sold for between $250-$500. There's one on eBay right now
> (and an 8x32 as well). How cheap can you get one?

Well, I didn't get it. It was for auction on a University Surplus
auction site. It was only guaranteed to power-up. Not tested
functionally. The auction closed at $136.00, which would be OK if it
works. I wasn't willing to take that large of a gamble without knowing
for sure if worked.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:34:31 PM

EricK wrote:
> Paul Thomas wrote:
>
>> The Ursa Major stuff is fairly obscure, but has a very loyal
>> following. When I worked at a studio in Chicago (The Uberstudio) in
>> 1998-1999 they had a Stargate 323. It sounded totally great. Chris
>> Moore, founder and inventor at Ursa Major, also invented the 8x32 which
>> also had some really great plate simulations, among others. Every once
>> in a blue moon a 323 shows up on eBay and in the past 3 years they've
>> consistantly sold for between $250-$500. There's one on eBay right now
>> (and an 8x32 as well). How cheap can you get one?
>

> Well, I didn't get it. It was for auction on a University Surplus
> auction site. It was only guaranteed to power-up. Not tested
> functionally. The auction closed at $136.00, which would be OK if it
> works. I wasn't willing to take that large of a gamble without knowing
> for sure if worked.

that wasn't bad!
I have an 8x32, MSP126 and a Space Station
They can be flakey (my 8x32 cuts in and out), but are definately unique.
The MSP especially can do many "neat" things...
I would have risked $150 for the Stargate, just for the name ;)
!