Sign in with
Your question

Fake MSE virus pop up...

Last response: in Windows 7
June 20, 2012 7:32:27 AM

This is an image of the pop up

So far I have had a fake MSE pop up happen multiple times on 2 different adult websites. As you can see it states that it has detected viruses and they need to be cleaned. Obviously it's fake as I have Avast and Malwarebytes instead of MSE. Is this pop up being caused by something on my PC or is it something that is randomly triggered upon entering certain sites? And is it harmless?

I will do scans with both Avast and Malwarebytes but I remember scanning in the past when I got this before and found nothing. Thanks

More about : fake mse virus pop

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 21, 2012 5:46:56 AM

do you have Ccleaner?

go to tools/start up and see what looks "weird" viruses usually have names like fnjfi39rjc or such.

choose "disable" and reboot. if you have no problem from disabling it in the start up menu, look where that file resides on your hard drive and delete it.

bub bye nasty pr0n site virus.

now it may have also gotten into your registry, that is a little more difficult to deal with :p 
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2012 8:31:10 AM

Its not a virus, dont worry. It is just a pop up from another webpage, close the webpage and fear no more!
Run a Malware Bytes scan just to be sure though :) 
m
l
June 21, 2012 6:00:20 PM

I already have Ccleaner and went to tools/startup and there was nothing strange there. I even looked up the program names to be sure.

david_w said:
Its not a virus, dont worry. It is just a pop up from another webpage, close the webpage and fear no more!
Run a Malware Bytes scan just to be sure though :) 
Alright thanks. that's what I initially assumed because I had this pop up in the past, ran full scans with Avast and Malwarebytes, but nothing came up.

Also the fact that it was a url made me suspicious.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 21, 2012 6:12:22 PM

DudE132 said:
I already have Ccleaner and went to tools/startup and there was nothing strange there. I even looked up the program names to be sure.

Alright thanks. that's what I initially assumed because I had this pop up in the past, ran full scans with Avast and Malwarebytes, but nothing came up.

Also the fact that it was a url made me suspicious.

1) get firefox and stop using IE!
2) enable block pop up
3) find better less obtrusive pr0n sites!
m
l
June 21, 2012 11:38:03 PM

That screenshot isn't mine :p  and I use Chrome btw.
m
l
!