The Riot Act

Last response: in Home Audio
March 6, 2005 3:54:14 PM

I have just recently returned from the Canadian Music Week conference
in Toronto.
There was a lot of talk from Global labels, radio, promoters and
artists mostly focussing on how the Cell-Phone will soon dominate the
music industry and how to stop illegal downloading.
On one of the panels were 6 teenagers who stated that they would gladly
pay a $10/month ISP fee to download all the music and ring-tones they
desire. They say it will be affordable, easy and ethical!!
Will the industry listen or maybe atrophy?

kevin doyle

More about : riot act

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 5:35:56 PM

Matrixmusic wrote:
> I have just recently returned from the Canadian Music Week conference
> in Toronto.
> There was a lot of talk from Global labels, radio, promoters and
> artists mostly focussing on how the Cell-Phone will soon dominate the
> music industry

Dominate? Hardly. Become more important? Yes. Cell phones are far too
low-fi to compete with hi-fi recordings overall. Someday there may be a
portable phone/ipod-like device that will compete, but not 'today's'
cell phone.

> and how to stop illegal downloading.
> On one of the panels were 6 teenagers who stated that they would
gladly
> pay a $10/month ISP fee to download all the music and ring-tones they
> desire. They say it will be affordable, easy and ethical!!
> Will the industry listen or maybe atrophy?
>
> kevin doyle

Are you going to plan your future based on the opinions of 6 teenagers?

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
this sig is haiku
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 5:52:19 PM

Sony Ericcson is introducing a camera-radio-phone-mp3 model with 32 gig
storage this fall. It will allow you to listen to digital radio-
download a ringtone-go to the srtist website and buy more of their
muisc and even order concert tickets, with the site sending you a text
message bar code for confirmation
kevin
March 6, 2005 7:22:29 PM

12% of total music revenue in the last 6 months has come from ringtones
alone and is growing. Total income from the cell-phone business last
year was almost $50 Billion and will be over $100 Billion by 2007.
Retailers are already in the early developement stages where you can
bring in your cell-phone and download instead of buying hard product.
If there is an addional $2 service fee for downloading all the music
you want in excellent quality to each cell-phone subscriber the music
business will quadruple their income alone. Consider that
text-messaging is at a 48% share of total cell-phone use and will be
close to 60% by the end of the year and is an addional fee for most
sub-scribers, it seems only natural that the industry will tale
advantage of this opportunity and I believe it will
kevin doyle
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:11:29 PM

On 6 Mar 2005 14:35:56 -0800, "novamusic" <novamusic@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Matrixmusic wrote:
>> I have just recently returned from the Canadian Music Week conference
>> in Toronto.
>> There was a lot of talk from Global labels, radio, promoters and
>> artists mostly focussing on how the Cell-Phone will soon dominate the
>> music industry
>
>Dominate? Hardly. Become more important? Yes. Cell phones are far too
>low-fi to compete with hi-fi recordings overall.

At the moment. And since when did kids care about high fidelity?

Someday there may be a
>portable phone/ipod-like device that will compete, but not 'today's'
>cell phone.
>
>> and how to stop illegal downloading.
>> On one of the panels were 6 teenagers who stated that they would
>gladly
>> pay a $10/month ISP fee to download all the music and ring-tones they
>> desire. They say it will be affordable, easy and ethical!!
>> Will the industry listen or maybe atrophy?
>>
>> kevin doyle
>
>Are you going to plan your future based on the opinions of 6 teenagers?

More like 600,000 teenagers. It's already happening in countries
where cell phone technology is ahead of ours.

Al
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 10:20:24 PM

On 6 Mar 2005 12:54:14 -0800, "Matrixmusic"
<kevindoylemusic@rogers.com> wrote:

>I have just recently returned from the Canadian Music Week conference
>in Toronto.
>There was a lot of talk from Global labels, radio, promoters and
>artists mostly focussing on how the Cell-Phone will soon dominate the
>music industry and how to stop illegal downloading.
>On one of the panels were 6 teenagers who stated that they would gladly
>pay a $10/month ISP fee to download all the music and ring-tones they
>desire. They say it will be affordable, easy and ethical!!
>Will the industry listen or maybe atrophy?

Problem is, with high bandwidth connections, the average person could
easily download more songs than $10 pays for.

jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 11:12:29 PM

In article <1110142454.117194.132530@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> kevindoylemusic@rogers.com writes:

> On one of the panels were 6 teenagers who stated that they would gladly
> pay a $10/month ISP fee to download all the music and ring-tones they
> desire. They say it will be affordable, easy and ethical!!
> Will the industry listen or maybe atrophy?

I dunno, but I sure don't want my Internet service to go up by
$10/month because some teenagers in Canada want to download all the
music they can eat. But I'll bet that $10/month from every Internet
user, if it was distributed properly, would just about equal total CD
costs less manufacturing and marketing. But $10/month from just those
who admit to downloading music wouldn't do it.

March 6, 2005 11:20:06 PM

"Matrixmusic" <kevindoylemusic@rogers.com> wrote in message
> I have just recently returned from the Canadian Music Week conference
> in Toronto.
> There was a lot of talk from Global labels, radio, promoters and
> artists mostly focussing on how the Cell-Phone will soon dominate the
> music industry

>and how to stop illegal downloading.

The way to stop illegal downloading is to allow the cellphone to dominate
the industry. Cellphones can be shareproof.

jb
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 11:32:34 PM

The way to stop illegal downloading is to allow the cellphone to
dominate
the industry. Cellphones can be shareproof.

jb

That's the idea JB
The kids want it just as much as the composers
kevin doyle
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 11:34:34 PM

Yes David
The percentages are supplied by RIAA for America, CRIA for Canada and
BPI for the UK
kevin
March 7, 2005 12:18:51 AM

On 3/6/05 3:54 PM, in article
1110142454.117194.132530@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "Matrixmusic"
<kevindoylemusic@rogers.com> wrote:

> I have just recently returned from the Canadian Music Week conference
> in Toronto.
> There was a lot of talk from Global labels, radio, promoters and
> artists mostly focussing on how the Cell-Phone will soon dominate the
> music industry and how to stop illegal downloading.
> On one of the panels were 6 teenagers who stated that they would gladly
> pay a $10/month ISP fee to download all the music and ring-tones they
> desire. They say it will be affordable, easy and ethical!!
> Will the industry listen or maybe atrophy?
>
> kevin doyle

I'd LOVE to get a deal like that for groceries!
How does that work, exactly... I mean past the "I donwanna pay for stuff"
level?
How much material can you download in a month?
How long does it take to PRODUCE that much material?

Aw hell why do I keep trying this...
I' gotta go
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 12:18:52 AM

"John" <ssconmag1@verizon.net> wrote in message

> I'd LOVE to get a deal like that for groceries!
> How does that work, exactly... I mean past the "I donwanna pay for stuff"
> level?
> How much material can you download in a month?
> How long does it take to PRODUCE that much material?
>
> Aw hell why do I keep trying this...
> I' gotta go

It'll work if they can listen for free but have to pay per song to get a
transferable file.

jb
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:46:46 AM

Were you reading it to us?
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:02:43 AM

Matrixmusic wrote:

> On one of the panels were 6 teenagers who stated that they would gladly
> pay a $10/month ISP fee to download all the music and ring-tones they
> desire.

And how will that be enough to feed a musician? $0.00001/song, and the
kids are happy.

--
ha
Anonymous

"novamusic" <novamusic@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Are you going to plan your future based on the opinions of 6 teenagers?

that is probably what they said about bill & steve's gang back in the day
:-p
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:03:30 AM

> Matrixmusic wrote:
>
> > On one of the panels were 6 teenagers who stated that they would gladly
> > pay a $10/month ISP fee to download all the music and ring-tones they
> > desire.
>
> And how will that be enough to feed a musician? $0.00001/song, and the
> kids are happy.
>
> --
> ha

they feed musicians?
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:05:34 AM

"play on" <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On 6 Mar 2005 14:35:56 -0800, "novamusic" <novamusic@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Matrixmusic wrote:
> >> I have just recently returned from the Canadian Music Week conference
> >> in Toronto.
> >> There was a lot of talk from Global labels, radio, promoters and
> >> artists mostly focussing on how the Cell-Phone will soon dominate the
> >> music industry
> >
> >Dominate? Hardly. Become more important? Yes. Cell phones are far too
> >low-fi to compete with hi-fi recordings overall.
>
> At the moment. And since when did kids care about high fidelity?
>
> Someday there may be a
> >portable phone/ipod-like device that will compete, but not 'today's'
> >cell phone.
> >
> >> and how to stop illegal downloading.
> >> On one of the panels were 6 teenagers who stated that they would
> >gladly
> >> pay a $10/month ISP fee to download all the music and ring-tones they
> >> desire. They say it will be affordable, easy and ethical!!
> >> Will the industry listen or maybe atrophy?
> >>
> >> kevin doyle
> >
> >Are you going to plan your future based on the opinions of 6 teenagers?
>
> More like 600,000 teenagers. It's already happening in countries
> where cell phone technology is ahead of ours.
>
> Al

so true...well, i wouldn't say ahead, but much more affordable and
mass-used. in hong kong everyone has phones with removeable media cards and
batteries that last three days w/constant use!
-another al
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:23:03 AM

"Matrixmusic" <kevindoylemusic@rogers.com> wrote in message news:1110154949.035215.20520@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> 12% of total music revenue in the last 6 months has come from ringtones
> alone and is growing.

I'm intrigued... can you shoot me a reference?

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

nice new internet name for you
Matrixmusic is kevin doyle

what BS

Canadian Music Week conference
(was this a conference you organized as part of your class
responsibilities, prof doyle?)

talk from Global labels, radio, promoters and artists
mostly focussing on how the Cell-Phone will soon dominate

one of the panels were 6 teenagers (your students?)

did you record this on your basf tape?
where there any adults there and what were the other discussions?
mp3 vs Ogg Vorbis????

yet there is a market for everything on the internet
have you bought the Beatles bass drum head for your class room yet?
it should be coming available on ebay soon.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:22:42 AM

"Matrixmusic" <kevindoylemusic@rogers.com> wrote in message news:1110170074.959805.105650@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Yes David
> The percentages are supplied by RIAA for America, CRIA for Canada and
> BPI for the UK
> kevin

12% is quite an amazing figure.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 9:26:57 AM

ice new internet name for you
Matrixmusic is kevin doyle

what BS

Canadian Music Week conference
(was this a conference you organized as part of your class
responsibilities, prof doyle?)

talk from Global labels, radio, promoters and artists
mostly focussing on how the Cell-Phone will soon dominate

one of the panels were 6 teenagers (your students?)

did you record this on your basf tape?
where there any adults there and what were the other discussions?
mp3 vs Ogg Vorbis????

yet there is a market for everything on the internet
have you bought the Beatles bass drum head for your class room yet?
it should be coming available on ebay soon.

To answer your questions Dale
Canadian music week is organized by CRIA, RIAA and BPI out of England.
All my students did attend.
The 6 teenagers were from various high schools from North America.
I still record on Analog tape- I run 2 studer 2r tr with SR with
Pro-Tools and I record and mix on a SSL 9000 and a Neve VR with
Massenburg Automation.
As for other discussions, they were chaired by people like Matthew
Knowles,
various presidents from labels, songwriting associations, radio and
Tech companies.
Actually I don't have the bass drum head from Ringo, but if you see it
on Ebay please let me know.
all the best
Professor Kevin Doyle
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:14:18 AM

greggery peccary wrote:
> "play on" <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>More like 600,000 teenagers. It's already happening in countries
>>where cell phone technology is ahead of ours.

> so true...well, i wouldn't say ahead, but much more affordable and
> mass-used.

Europe has always been about 10 years ahead of the US in cell phone
technology. GSM has been around since 1981 and PCS (the US partial
"equivalant") since the mid 90's.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:41:27 AM

On Mar 7, 2005, at 9:15, Matrixmusic sent to me a 4 page email on
Surround Mixing The Philosophies of 5.1 Mixing it is spam.

sir
if you are the pied piper, then george w bush is a saint

it is nice of you to finally reply to my questions
this topic of yours is of no use to me

if I was to do standard surround it would be thx or 7.1
(as an electronic musician, for composing only)

I am of the keep it simple philosophy.
a good stereo recording (cowboy junkies, the trinity session)
the over production of music you are promoting is not to my taste
I care not for the route that the mass of humanity has taken

are you a real person
your postings on rap have been bullshit
never addressing the topic

a canadian music conference with the us and british comercial interest
represented.
not really canadian then
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 12:02:21 PM

In article <HGQWd.27592$QQ3.13651@trnddc02> mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com writes:

> > 12% of total music revenue in the last 6 months has come from ringtones
> > alone and is growing.

> I'm intrigued... can you shoot me a reference?

I don't know about the exact number, but I'll bet it's pretty big.
Ringtones was a big topic at the MIDI Manufacturers Association
meeting at the NAMM show this year.

If you look at the "legitimate" (and I don't know if there are
illegitimante) ringtone sources you'll see melodies of all the latest
hits and top artists. I have an old steam-powered phone that has a
monophonic ringer (like a PC speaker) and ring tones for those phones
are reminiscent of the bad MIDI files that people used to trade in the
early days, but just about everybody else is using a phone that's
capable of polyphony and I've overheard some really well done ring
tones. Typically they cost around a buck and I'm certain that a chunk
of that money goes back to the songwriter and probably some to the
artist who made the song popular enough so that someone would want it
to play when he got a phone call.

This is certainly a new model for making money from music.

March 7, 2005 12:02:22 PM

> This is certainly a new model for making money from music.

Yes Mike
And it is all legal

kevin doyle
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:08:29 PM

Matrixmusic wrote:

> Fortunately for many others, they find them interesting.

Of course they do, their grade depends on it.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:19:29 PM

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 01:05:34 -0800, "greggery peccary" <@.@> wrote:

>"play on" <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On 6 Mar 2005 14:35:56 -0800, "novamusic" <novamusic@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Dominate? Hardly. Become more important? Yes. Cell phones are far too
>> >low-fi to compete with hi-fi recordings overall.
>>
>> At the moment. And since when did kids care about high fidelity?
>>
>> Someday there may be a
>> >portable phone/ipod-like device that will compete, but not 'today's'
>> >cell phone.

>> >gladly

>> >Are you going to plan your future based on the opinions of 6 teenagers?
>>
>> More like 600,000 teenagers. It's already happening in countries
>> where cell phone technology is ahead of ours.
>>
>> Al
>
>so true...well, i wouldn't say ahead, but much more affordable and
>mass-used. in hong kong everyone has phones with removeable media cards and
>batteries that last three days w/constant use!

When I said ahead, I guess I meant more by application than by
technology. Cell phones are used for a lot more than just telephones
in some places.

Al
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:39:07 PM

Matrixmusic wrote:
> 12% of total music revenue in the last 6 months has come from ringtones
> alone and is growing. Total income from the cell-phone business last
> year was almost $50 Billion and will be over $100 Billion by 2007.

Drive your cellphones wap browsers for example to:
http://wapmusic.mymaxis.com.my/muse/wap/home

It's mobile music service in Malaysia. There have been also some
launched in Europe and more will come;)

br,
Sven
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:16:39 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> Typically they cost around a buck and I'm certain that a chunk
> of that money goes back to the songwriter

A *much* bigger chunk than what they earn from other channels. New technology, new deal negotiated.
March 7, 2005 7:19:15 PM

Pretty soon you'll need to add a cell phone to your monitor system so you
can mix for cell phone ring tones

Ahhhhh a sad day

David Morgan (MAMS) <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message

> "Matrixmusic" <kevindoylemusic@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > Yes David
> > The percentages are supplied by RIAA for America, CRIA for Canada and
> > BPI for the UK
> > kevin
> >

> 12% is quite an amazing figure.

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:19:48 PM

On 2005-03-07 @.@ said:
>> > On one of the panels were 6 teenagers who stated that they
>>would gladly > pay a $10/month ISP fee to download all the music
>>and ring-tones they > desire.
>> And how will that be enough to feed a musician? $0.00001/song,
>>and the kids are happy.
tHey don't want to hear musicians. They want to hear something
created from some loop factory with samples.
wHo needs musicians? THey got band in a box?

THen they want to remove the vocals from it for karaoke night.
<yech!>

Richard Webb,
Electric SPider Productions, New Orleans, La.
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

March 7, 2005 8:26:21 PM

On 7 Mar 2005 09:02:21 -0500, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote:

>In article <HGQWd.27592$QQ3.13651@trnddc02> mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com writes:
>
>> > 12% of total music revenue in the last 6 months has come from ringtones
>> > alone and is growing.
>
>> I'm intrigued... can you shoot me a reference?
>
>I don't know about the exact number, but I'll bet it's pretty big.
>Ringtones was a big topic at the MIDI Manufacturers Association
>meeting at the NAMM show this year.
>
>If you look at the "legitimate" (and I don't know if there are
>illegitimante) ringtone sources you'll see melodies of all the latest
>hits and top artists. I have an old steam-powered phone that has a
>monophonic ringer (like a PC speaker) and ring tones for those phones
>are reminiscent of the bad MIDI files that people used to trade in the
>early days, but just about everybody else is using a phone that's
>capable of polyphony and I've overheard some really well done ring
>tones.

A friend who's a big Led Zepplin fan has the bassline for "Dazed
and Confused" as his monophonic, square-wave ringtone. I barely
recognized it and thought it was hilarious when I did. Fortunately
it's two or three octaves up from the original, else it wouldn't be
audible at all.
PRI's Marketplace (http://www.marketplace.org) did a short spot on
this in recent weeks (ISTR that's where I first heard that ringtones
were becoming a big market for the music industry), they played two
cellphone rings of some current pop song, the first was perhaps a
four-part squarewave polyphony, the second was essentially a
sample/MP3 playback of the recording, sounding about as good as it
could through a speaker in a cellphone. I'm sure through earphones it
would sound as good as on any portable MP3/CD player.

>Typically they cost around a buck and I'm certain that a chunk
>of that money goes back to the songwriter and probably some to the
>artist who made the song popular enough so that someone would want it
>to play when he got a phone call.
>
>This is certainly a new model for making money from music.

Cellphones are inherently closed-end systems and thus harder to
hack/crack than other systems that play music. It appears that
cellphones are becoming the electronic swiss army knife that PDA's
were trying to be. Most people who are computer-literate can "listen
for free" on the net sitting at their computer, but will end up paying
to listen on the go through their cellphone, so they won't have to
carry an extra little box just to play mp3's. I expect that 12 percent
figure to grow a lot.
I just had a thought, Richard Branson' Virgin brand is on both a
record label and a cellphone. No wonder he makes money.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:26:22 PM

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:26:21 GMT, Ben Bradley
<ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Cellphones are inherently closed-end systems and thus harder to
>hack/crack than other systems that play music.

Tell it to Paris Hilton...

Al
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 9:41:50 PM

In article <p32p21plug5fh55ulemd88nfe2rlk08ggf@4ax.com> ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net writes:

> Cellphones are inherently closed-end systems and thus harder to
> hack/crack than other systems that play music.

One day when I was bored, I looked at a couple of web sites that
offered free ring tones. It looks like there are two ways that you can
get them. One is for them to call your phone and send the file, and
other is that there's a file format that you can upload to certain
(apparently most modern) phones from a computer using an infra red
port or cable. Seems to me that the latter is fully shareable if you
have the right phone and cable.

By the way, my phone now plays Yakkety Sax (distributed as The Benny
Hill theme). I tried several before I found one that was recognizable.
I was looking for If I Only Had a Brain but I couldn't find it for
free so I settled on something else. Where do I send my nickel?

> Most people who are computer-literate can "listen
> for free" on the net sitting at their computer, but will end up paying
> to listen on the go through their cellphone, so they won't have to
> carry an extra little box just to play mp3's. I expect that 12 percent
> figure to grow a lot.

That can run into a heap of money. I hope it's going to the right
places. But if it's possible to communicate between a computer and
cell phone to load ringtones, once they build a couple of gigabytes of
RAM into the things, I see no reason why people won't eventually
figure out how to load playable songs for entertainment listening. And
then there will be illicit traffic in those, as well as ones that are
legitimately paid for.

> I just had a thought, Richard Branson' Virgin brand is on both a
> record label and a cellphone. No wonder he makes money.

He'd probably make more money still if he gave up the airline.

March 7, 2005 11:14:57 PM

"Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:7a%Wd.596300$6l.57037@pd7tw2no...

> Pretty soon you'll need to add a cell phone to your monitor system so you
> can mix for cell phone ring tones
>

> Ahhhhh a sad day

Really. I mean, 12% of industry income.... so that little Johnnie's cell phone
going off in class sounds 'cooler' than Mary Ann's. Sheeesh....

I heard a piece of an interview on PBS the other day with someone representing
the London Symphony Orchestra who was recounting his pleasure that so much
of the symphony's material had been contracted out for ringtones.

Ohhh... the nuances of the tympani and bassoons, recreated on a 1/2" speaker....

DM
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 1:58:29 AM

Troy wrote:
> Pretty soon you'll need to add a cell phone to your monitor system so you
> can mix for cell phone ring tones

I just did something similar for a friend. He recorded a
sin sweep through his cell phone with a pretty good mic and
from it I gave him back a filter that would give the phone
better fidelity if the "ring" was pre equalized with the
filter. What he really wanted to do was give it an old
fashioned ringer sound and he said it worked pretty well. :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:31:40 PM

Bob Cain wrote:

> I just did something similar for a friend. He recorded a sin sweep
> through his cell phone with a pretty good mic and from it I gave him
> back a filter that would give the phone better fidelity if the "ring"
> was pre equalized with the filter. What he really wanted to do was give
> it an old fashioned ringer sound and he said it worked pretty well. :-)

It's spreading pretty fast among phones that can do mp3 rings.
It's distinguished by the tail end of a cordless phone ringing
in the background, and then a bit of NPR playing further in
the background during the decay of the mechanical bell. Drat!
Now that that is out, the royality cops will be hunting me down.

Oh, and Bob, it was a sine sweep you sent; there was neither
mortal nor carnal sin envolved ... well, bit o' pride, mebby.
!