4x space game

Apparently "Space Empires V" has entered beta testing. I didnt get in :(

The screen shots look great. www.malfador.com

It beat Dominions 3 into beta but probably not by much. I hope they dont
come out at the same time or I will be torn.

Gandalf Parker
-- needed: a Mech Warrior artist
19 answers Last reply
More about space game
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Dom 3 just needs some spit and polish, SEV needs art direction,
    interface redesign, a balanced tech tree (meeting up with a psionic
    race mid to late game = automatic loss in SEIV), better race design,
    and a major tactical battle engine overhaul. I've actually played
    several games of DOM 2 multiplayer, I wouldn't dream of it with SEIV,
    not with stuff like Ultracorps around. SEV for me is going to get
    serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
    edition.

    I've always questioned why people like beta testing. It's not a paying
    position, but far too much like a job.

    lm
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    It did not have the polish of evernight, but it was fun. Steve Jackson
    bought UC and is redeveloping it. Again, when you have turn based
    games that have a tick based system, they actually get played. No one
    has time to play HOMM or CIV on anything but the smallest map. There's
    just too much turn angst. With Dominions 2 and UC, you submit your
    turn and there's a non varying amount of time before the next turn
    starts. It's not the amount of time between turns, it's the variance
    that makes games like CIV 3 unplayable multiplayer.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Twilight Imperium is a board game.

    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12493
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On 2005-04-12, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:

    > I've always questioned why people like beta testing. It's not a paying
    > position, but far too much like a job.

    You get in a position to influence the development of a game.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    littlemute wrote:
    <snip>
    > SEV for me is going to get
    > serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
    > edition.

    Those aren't even real games. They are online browser games.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in

    > SEV for me is going to get
    > serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
    > edition.

    Thanks, I will look into those.

    > I've always questioned why people like beta testing. It's not a paying
    > position, but far too much like a job.

    Well some people just consider it fun to give their opinion. :)

    In my case I would have loved to get in on the ground floor with some
    ideas. I love the direction SEIV took with player modding. Im really hoping
    the SEV added or left that the same, not messed it up. The game, as
    installed, feels really tiny compared to what the mods made it. It went
    from 8 races on a small map to a game where everything about it was
    increased literally by hundred times over.

    Gandalf Parker
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On 2005-04-12, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
    > It did not have the polish of evernight, but it was fun. Steve Jackson
    > bought UC and is redeveloping it. Again, when you have turn based
    > games that have a tick based system, they actually get played. No one
    > has time to play HOMM or CIV on anything but the smallest map. There's
    > just too much turn angst. With Dominions 2 and UC, you submit your
    > turn and there's a non varying amount of time before the next turn
    > starts. It's not the amount of time between turns, it's the variance
    > that makes games like CIV 3 unplayable multiplayer.

    IMHO I much prefer Civ3 single player to any turn based
    multiplayer game. The original Civ had quite a bit of
    roleplaying involved. When you researched a new tech you would be
    greeted by a pretty portrait. It felt more like you were leading
    civilization than playing a spreadsheet.

    This isn't the case with Civ3 where all you see is a bunch of
    icons. I don't doubt though, for a minute, that the spreadsheet
    crowd made Civ3 a real winner. Evidence of this is in how
    unbearably hard the game is in Civ3: Conquests when you play at
    Regent level.

    I avoided Dom and Dom2 because I hear it's a great multiplayer
    game but not a good single player game.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in

    > Apparently "Space Empires V" has entered beta testing. I didnt get in :(
    >
    > The screen shots look great. www.malfador.com

    I'm one of the few who actually played SE II. It was actually kinda fun but
    I would never have dreamed it would actually go this far.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > littlemute wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> SEV for me is going to get
    >> serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
    >> edition.
    >
    > Those aren't even real games. They are online browser games.

    TI 3 comes in a box. It is a real game. No PC required!
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    With the end game of DOM2, you are still spacing out the turns, say one
    per day and people have been eliminated. This is not the
    arse-wrenching LAN Civ/MOO/AoW games that go until 5-6AM (with the
    obligatory hour long arguments about the initial set up) but are
    absolutely over the minute everyone goes home. Sure the game is saved,
    but it's never played again and is deleted with a hard drive
    reformating untouched years later. Dom2 and similar games are more
    organic in that the turn time can accomodate real life a lot more.
    Micromanagement gets insane at the end with all these games, but with
    Civ style it's all at a single sitting, and with the tick based games
    it's a lot of sittings over the course of months..
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
    > It did not have the polish of evernight, but it was fun. Steve Jackson
    > bought UC and is redeveloping it. Again, when you have turn based
    > games that have a tick based system, they actually get played. No one
    > has time to play HOMM or CIV on anything but the smallest map. There's
    > just too much turn angst. With Dominions 2 and UC, you submit your
    > turn and there's a non varying amount of time before the next turn
    > starts. It's not the amount of time between turns, it's the variance
    > that makes games like CIV 3 unplayable multiplayer.

    Actually most Dominions2 games I've encountered have a varying amount of
    time between turns. I know there's an option to host at fixed times, it's
    just not used in the community I play in. As to not having time to play civ
    but having time to play the end game of Dominions2.....Well, that sounds a
    bit backwords to me.

    Frankly the best multiplayer 4x was probably Stardock's Entrepreneur, but
    then it wasn't turn based...which may have something to do with why it was
    the best multiplayer 4x.

    dfs
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
    > I avoided Dom and Dom2 because I hear it's a great multiplayer
    > game but not a good single player game.

    Dominions is better as a multiplayer game, but it's certainly still playable
    as a single player game.

    Good to see you're still kicking round. It's been a while.

    dfs
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in news:115oaiv5jfbqn35
    @news.supernews.com:

    > littlemute wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> SEV for me is going to get
    >> serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
    >> edition.
    >
    > Those aren't even real games. They are online browser games.

    Thanks for that post. Im not ready to get excited about online browser
    games.

    I recently pulled out of a beta test because it sounded real good but it
    turned out to be a browser game that they wanted to sell.

    Gandalf Parker
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
    > "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in news:115oaiv5jfbqn35
    > > littlemute wrote:
    > > <snip>
    > >> SEV for me is going to get
    > >> serious competition from Ultracorps and, yes, Twilight Imperium 3rd
    > >> edition.
    > >
    > > Those aren't even real games. They are online browser games.
    >
    > Thanks for that post. Im not ready to get excited about online browser
    > games.
    >
    > I recently pulled out of a beta test because it sounded real good but it
    > turned out to be a browser game that they wanted to sell.

    Ultracorps is ancient. Like the same age as moo2. I remember thinking it was
    a mess then.

    dfs
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Dweeb <dbohnenberger@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in
    >
    >> Apparently "Space Empires V" has entered beta testing. I didnt get in
    >> :(
    >>
    >> The screen shots look great. www.malfador.com
    >
    > I'm one of the few who actually played SE II. It was actually kinda
    > fun but I would never have dreamed it would actually go this far.

    SE IV is alive and well on my after over a year of play. The players mods
    have super increased the maps and added over a hundred races.

    So Im just abit torn about SE V. Yes I would like to see the basic game
    engine and user interface get an upgrade. But Im hoping that nothing is
    done to stop the players from doing for it what they did for SE IV.

    Gandalf Parker
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:40:07 GMT, Gandalf Parker
    <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrotC:DRIVE_E

    > It went
    >from 8 races on a small map to a game where everything about it was
    >increased literally by hundred times over.

    What mods do you recommend for this expanded experience?

    Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
    "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
    once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
    http://www.mrlizard.com
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
    > On 2005-04-12, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
    >
    >> I've always questioned why people like beta testing. It's not a paying
    >> position, but far too much like a job.
    >
    > You get in a position to influence the development of a game.

    And I think for a lot of people it's mostly a chance to play a new
    game without having to pay for it. But those are usually not the best
    testers.

    mcv.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in

    > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:40:07 GMT, Gandalf Parker
    > <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrotC:DRIVE_E
    >
    >> It went
    >>from 8 races on a small map to a game where everything about it was
    >>increased literally by hundred times over.
    >
    > What mods do you recommend for this expanded experience?

    Fryons Quadrant Map mod, the TDM mod, the DevNull mod.
    Definetly check into the forum at www.shrapnelgames.com and the players
    will hook you up (the dev no longer visits there I think)

    Gandalf Parker
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    try http://www.spacefederation.net for a 4x strategy game

    Cowly the Game player

    Please click on my links
    <a