HOMM4: hero-only stacks

I have seen mention of single-hero or hero-only stacks or strategies on
some forums.

I have difficulty imagining winning battles with a stack of only one hero.
single heroes can be useful to pick up unprotected goodies, but combat?

In the early game, almost any army can overwhelm a single hero; even a
group of 50 peasants could usually do it.

In the late game, it's even worse: even a fully-equpped high-level hero
could be killed on the first combat move by a stack of dragons or titans
dealing out over 1000 points of damage.

OK, let us say the Hero moves first and that he has all the spells, and
that the enemy stack contains a stack of Titans, a couple of stacks of
Genii and hordes of low-level units (not to mention an enemy hero). The
Hero can cast Hypnotize on the Titans which can then attack one of the
stacks of Geniis, but then the other stack of Geniis can kill the Hero
with a single shot.

An army of Heroes would do better, but I don't see how such an army could
be equipped - after all-one does not find Elven Armor in every building,
and high-level artifacts are usually protected by very strong armies...

Am I missing something?

Henri

The general idea is to have the hero use lots of immortality potions,
thereby killing everything with retaliations. Obviously, he needs a
ranged attack and good health as well.l

In article <arseno-1504050745270001@descartes.phy.ulaval.ca>,
arseno@nospamforme.ulaval.ca says...
> I have difficulty imagining winning battles with a stack of only one hero.
> single heroes can be useful to pick up unprotected goodies, but combat?

I frequently develop a thief character. Once he has stealth up to
expert, he can do quite well on his own. At first he would not win
battles, but can go places without needed to attack the enemy. However,
as he also develops combat skills and gets to a high enough level, he
can take out considerable forces by himself. Of course, he is grateful
when he picks up an armor of regeneration, or a regeneration ring --
makes him even that much more able to keep fighting.

--
R. Dale Shipp
dale@_delete_this_min.net