Poor Service in Richmond VA

Last response: in Network Providers
December 1, 2004 4:00:36 PM

I've been a subscriber since July and have experienced numerous
dropped calls and other problems with the Sprint service in the
Richmond, VA area. My phone is a Samsung VI660.

I do have weak signal problems from time to time, but the most common
occurrences are dropped calls, terrible echo, or in the middle of the
call the other party suddenly cannot hear me although I can hear them
fine. This seems to happen irrespective of signal strength.

I previously was with Suncom and had none of these issues either with
my Nokia or Mororola phone.

I did go into a Sprint Store and described these problems. I further
pointed out on the coverage map a number of areas in the metro area
where signal was weak or nonexistent. All they said they could do was
check my phone, which they did and said it was fine.

Today may have been the last straw when a call was dropped from an
important client right in the middle of the conversation. I checked
the signal strenght and it was solid 3 bars.

Too bad, because I switched over to Sprint because of their superior
phones and features.

I can't afford to lose important calls and it looks like I have no
choice but to buy my way out the contract and switch to Suncom or
Sprint. Oh well, at least I can charge the cost to business.

More about : poor service richmond

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 2:00:06 AM

"jr239549zz" <jr3467974@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been a subscriber since July and have experienced numerous
> dropped calls and other problems with the Sprint service in the
> Richmond, VA area. My phone is a Samsung VI660.
>
> I do have weak signal problems from time to time, but the most common
> occurrences are dropped calls, terrible echo, or in the middle of the
> call the other party suddenly cannot hear me although I can hear them
> fine. This seems to happen irrespective of signal strength.
>
> I previously was with Suncom and had none of these issues either with
> my Nokia or Mororola phone.
>
> I did go into a Sprint Store and described these problems. I further
> pointed out on the coverage map a number of areas in the metro area
> where signal was weak or nonexistent. All they said they could do was
> check my phone, which they did and said it was fine.
>
> Today may have been the last straw when a call was dropped from an
> important client right in the middle of the conversation. I checked
> the signal strenght and it was solid 3 bars.
>
> Too bad, because I switched over to Sprint because of their superior
> phones and features.
>
> I can't afford to lose important calls and it looks like I have no
> choice but to buy my way out the contract and switch to Suncom or
> Sprint. Oh well, at least I can charge the cost to business.

You could be a fringe area. There are three things to check out. Possibly a
new phone, like a Sanyo might pull in a better signal. Second, add the $5
F&CA option, and last, change service providers.

Bob
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 2:00:07 AM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<W1srd.792$Va5.557@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> "jr239549zz" <jr3467974@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've been a subscriber since July and have experienced numerous
> > dropped calls and other problems with the Sprint service in the
> > Richmond, VA area. My phone is a Samsung VI660.
> >
> > I do have weak signal problems from time to time, but the most common
> > occurrences are dropped calls, terrible echo, or in the middle of the
> > call the other party suddenly cannot hear me although I can hear them
> > fine. This seems to happen irrespective of signal strength.
> >
> > I previously was with Suncom and had none of these issues either with
> > my Nokia or Mororola phone.
> >
> > I did go into a Sprint Store and described these problems. I further
> > pointed out on the coverage map a number of areas in the metro area
> > where signal was weak or nonexistent. All they said they could do was
> > check my phone, which they did and said it was fine.
> >
> > Today may have been the last straw when a call was dropped from an
> > important client right in the middle of the conversation. I checked
> > the signal strenght and it was solid 3 bars.
> >
> > Too bad, because I switched over to Sprint because of their superior
> > phones and features.
> >
> > I can't afford to lose important calls and it looks like I have no
> > choice but to buy my way out the contract and switch to Suncom or
> > Sprint. Oh well, at least I can charge the cost to business.
>
> You could be a fringe area. There are three things to check out. Possibly a
> new phone, like a Sanyo might pull in a better signal. Second, add the $5
> F&CA option, and last, change service providers.
>
> Bob

Thanks.
I'm not in a fringe area according to the coverage map for our area.

May I ask what the "F&CA option" is?
December 2, 2004 2:02:16 AM

I seem to have heard too many stories like this from Samsung 660 owners.
I recommended SPCS to a co-worker, she tried it on her 15-mile commute
with a borrowed phone (non-660) and it worked solidly, so she signed up
and picked a 660. Her new experience on this same commute was miserable
- 4 places where she'd drop calls, where I knew Sprint had a strong
signal. She was within the 14-day period, so I told her to trade up to
a Samsung 680. She did, and her commute reception is once again seamless.

jr239549zz wrote:
> I've been a subscriber since July and have experienced numerous
> dropped calls and other problems with the Sprint service in the
> Richmond, VA area. My phone is a Samsung VI660.
>
> I do have weak signal problems from time to time, but the most common
> occurrences are dropped calls, terrible echo, or in the middle of the
> call the other party suddenly cannot hear me although I can hear them
> fine. This seems to happen irrespective of signal strength.
>
> I previously was with Suncom and had none of these issues either with
> my Nokia or Mororola phone.
>
> I did go into a Sprint Store and described these problems. I further
> pointed out on the coverage map a number of areas in the metro area
> where signal was weak or nonexistent. All they said they could do was
> check my phone, which they did and said it was fine.
>
> Today may have been the last straw when a call was dropped from an
> important client right in the middle of the conversation. I checked
> the signal strenght and it was solid 3 bars.
>
> Too bad, because I switched over to Sprint because of their superior
> phones and features.
>
> I can't afford to lose important calls and it looks like I have no
> choice but to buy my way out the contract and switch to Suncom or
> Sprint. Oh well, at least I can charge the cost to business.

December 2, 2004 8:45:44 AM

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:33:56 -0800, jr239549zz wrote:

> Thanks.
> I'm not in a fringe area according to the coverage map for our area.
>
> May I ask what the "F&CA option" is?

Free and Clear America, is it's name. It is a roaming option to allow free
roaming/long distance off the sprintpcs network for 5dollars (10dollars in
affiliate areas, if even available) that lets you use, without any extra
charges per minute, up to 50% of your total usage in a month off the
sprintpcs network. Understand I mean your actual usage and not the monthly
minute allotment. This is a good option if you travel but it is not a good
option if you are traveling in a moving vehicle and always roaming, unless
your phone is a tri-mode phone and can find a digital network to roam on.
The reason I mentioned this is because when you roam soft handoffs between
towers may not be available, such as if your phone can only roam onto
analog network. Another reason could be that the next tower available to
you may not be capable of switching from the tower you are on even if you
are roaming on a digital network. I would ask sprintpcs store about
borrowing a phone for testing on a condition that it will stop you from
leaving. As others have said sanyo phones are very good when it comes to
reception and working with low signal strength.
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 12:58:39 PM

Frank Harris wrote:
> I seem to have heard too many stories like this from Samsung 660 owners.
> I recommended SPCS to a co-worker, she tried it on her 15-mile commute
> with a borrowed phone (non-660) and it worked solidly, so she signed up
> and picked a 660. Her new experience on this same commute was miserable
> - 4 places where she'd drop calls, where I knew Sprint had a strong
> signal. She was within the 14-day period, so I told her to trade up to
> a Samsung 680. She did, and her commute reception is once again seamless.

I've noticed some RF issues with my 660 too. I've heard that it might be
advisable to take the phone to a store for them to look at, but a UPS store
just opened up where the Sprint store was going to here in Victorville, so I
don't know if there will be a store closer than a half-hour away anytime soon... :(

December 2, 2004 4:06:25 PM

"jr239549zz" <jr3467974@hotmail.com> wrote in message

<snipped>

> Thanks.
> I'm not in a fringe area according to the coverage map for our area.

There are more things to consider than just maps, and that's the topography
of where you are making the calls as well.

> May I ask what the "F&CA option" is?

As explained it's a great little option to have on your account.

As for your phone model, Frank has pointed out that there have been a few
complaints for the 660. You may want to look at another phone, the next time
you go to the store. The Sanyo line gets the highest marks in reviews in
this newsgroup.

Bob
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 8:17:21 PM

It is well known that in northern Virginia, there are many holes in
the SprintPCS service area, even though Sprint's maps indicate
coverage. Even though phones may show very good signal strength,
dropped calls are not uncommon. New phones do not help. A friend
with a new phone has problems in the same places I do. This is likely
the problem in Richmond as well.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 9:51:07 PM

br549c@gmail.com (Junior Samples) wrote in message news:<9749f12a.0412021717.507c8f95@posting.google.com>...
> It is well known that in northern Virginia, there are many holes in
> the SprintPCS service area, even though Sprint's maps indicate
> coverage. Even though phones may show very good signal strength,
> dropped calls are not uncommon. New phones do not help. A friend
> with a new phone has problems in the same places I do. This is likely
> the problem in Richmond as well.

It's real bad down here in Richmond as well. Most of the metro area is
1-2 bar territory, except within a mile the Sprint Store, where you
get all 5 bars! I went to a seminar on Friday in Nofolk, VA and was
barely getting a signal in the Airport Hilton, which is is in the
center of the city. I tried to call my mom while traveling home on
Interstate 64 and lost her. Sprint should frankly stop selling phones
in this area because the service stinks. There are areas smack dab in
the middle of the city where the phone will go into roam, and not ring
if a call comes in. I've also come to believe that Sprint has
inferior network technology when compared to Verizon and Suncom. Even
in good signal areas, the voice quality is marginal. The audio is
often clipped and it's diffent to understand the other party. Sprint
clearly isn't keeping up with the Joneses in network technology.

I'm kicking myself for being lazy and not researching before I signed
up.

The sad part is that I'm going to have too pay a couple of hundred to
get out of my contract. At lease I can charge it to the my business
and deduct it.

Someone around here should hit them with a class action for fraud and
false advertising, but it ain't worth it to me.

However, this is a small town, and I'm telling all my business
colleages to stay far away from from Sprint PCS.
!