Sign in with
Your question

Laptop not recognizing .iso file when booting from a DVD

Last response: in Windows 7
June 20, 2012 11:21:44 AM

I tried to run Mem86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic, but the BIOS doesn't allow booting from a USB drive. Also, Windows 7 doesn't seem to recognize the .iso file on the DVD even when I turned off "boot from hard drive" to force it to boot from the DVD drive.
June 20, 2012 11:41:09 AM

.iso is an image file

You must burn the image to the disc, not the image file.

It must be "mounted" or otherwise read while burning. Nero will burn from an image file directly. Otherwise magicdisk is probably a good bet, or Daemon Tools.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 20, 2012 12:06:55 PM

you cannot simply record the iso image file to a CD or DVD. if you look at the contents of the disc after you recorded it and it shows you a single .iso file then you did it wrong. you must record the iso image to the disc. then when you look at the disc it will be identical to the original disc it was copied from with all the files restored. now it will be boot-able.
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2012 12:57:58 PM

Win7 has a "burn image to disk". Otherwise, almost all burning SW can do it. Just remember to not use "create disc" options. Like nhasian said: if you see an .iso file after burning, you did it wrong.
PS: for memtest iso, as I remember, after the correct burning you should see no files on the disc. The bootable part is not visible.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 20, 2012 2:24:41 PM

You said "Burn to a DVD" - Wrong, Memtest 86 is burn to a CD, not DVD. NOT 100% sure, but even when iso burn is selected it may NOT work if incorrect media is used.

As stated above, you can not copy the file like you would a data file.
Normally if you drag the ISO to your burning icon on the desktop the correct mode will be selected.
No dektop icon, then open burning program and look for option to "Burn an Image file"

I prefer Imburn, a free utility - Quit using Nero a long time ago and prefer IMburn to windows burning program..
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 20, 2012 2:36:40 PM

RetiredChief said:
You said "Burn to a DVD" - Wrong, Memtest 86 is burn to a CD, not DVD. NOT 100% sure, but even when iso burn is selected it may NOT work if incorrect media is used.

As stated above, you can not copy the file like you would a data file.
Normally if you drag the ISO to your burning icon on the desktop the correct mode will be selected.
No dektop icon, then open burning program and look for option to "Burn an Image file"

I prefer Imburn, a free utility - Quit using Nero a long time ago and prefer IMburn to windows burning program..

+1 to imgburn its the easiest I've found, and I have also burned memtest86 specifically to a dvd and it worked fine.
m
l
June 20, 2012 6:10:19 PM

Strange, even though the DVD has over 4GB of storage space and has no visible files in it, a little less than 1GB free space is available. I did load Windows 8 installation .iso into the DVD in the past, but I thought I erased it completely before attempting to launch Mem86.
m
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
June 20, 2012 8:56:46 PM

A Bad Day said:
Strange, even though the DVD has over 4GB of storage space and has no visible files in it, a little less than 1GB free space is available. I did load Windows 8 installation .iso into the DVD in the past, but I thought I erased it completely before attempting to launch Mem86.

Use a new disk and burn the program on that.
m
l
June 20, 2012 9:37:30 PM

I have some blank DVDs, but is there a way to clear the "filled-up" DVD?
m
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
June 20, 2012 10:02:25 PM

A Bad Day said:
I have some blank DVDs, but is there a way to clear the "filled-up" DVD?

If it's a RW disk, you can format it using the burning software. But RW disks are not nearly as compatible with different drives as - or + R disks.
m
l
!