Wireless won't connect on 1 computer

mhoke63

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
As the title says, one of my wireless computers (windows 7 pro) won't connect. I am baffled to the problem.

Router: Asus RT-N12 with latest stable firmware version

2 other laptops will connect with no problem. My phone will connect to it no problem. My 3 other laptops also connect to it with no issues as well. A wired computer will get Internet access to it no problem. This computer (a desktop with a pci wireless card) won't connect to it. The SSID will not show up on the computer unless I manually put in the SSID. Then, it tries to connect, fails, and the SSID goes away. It will connect to the wifi tether on my phone with no issues. My phone has the same security settings, encryption protocols, etc. as my router. It will connect to a neighbor's unprotected wifi without issue as well.

RE: It will connect to a neighbor's unprotected wifi without issue as well.

Interesting. So it's apparently not an issue related to drivers, improper install, misconfiguration, etc., since it does at least connect under one set of circumstances.

So let’s duplicate it locally. Disable wireless security on your own wireless router and see if it will connect to YOUR open wifi.

mhoke63

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Fixed now. Turns out it was a driver issue. I figured for a wireless card, it wouldn't matter to have the most recent drivers. Even though the install CD drivers say specifically for Windows 7, it isn't. Downloading the most recent drivers for the wireless card fixed the issue.