Access Point and Wireless Router

What is an Access Point? What is the difference between
the two???
3 answers Last reply
More about access point wireless router

    Hi,

    An Access Point is a wireless router. Usually a wireless
    router is refered to a WAP (wireless access point) when
    it is set to bridging mode (dhcp disabled), and is only
    used for his wireless functionality. This would be used
    to extend your wireless range for example.

    Raf

    Kev,

    A wireless router connects directly to your internet
    modem (WAN) and other PCs making up the backbone of your
    wireless LAN. An access point connects to your router
    and expands the coverage of your wireles LAN to other
    rooms/areas not reached by the router.

    With Microsoft MN-700, the access point must be hardwired
    via ethernet cable to the wireless router.

    Access Point shuts off the router - it no longer doles out IP
    addresses or has a firewall.

    I have an MN-700 ($39 at Costco - what a bargain!!) that is fed from a
    Linksys router that is fed by cable modem. I got it to upgrade from
    802.11b to 802.11g and don' t really need another router in the house.

    I was able to place the MN-700 in a better location for better
    reception than the modem/router/802.11b was giving.

    --
    Lower your cable bill! http://careers.comcast.com/choices/searchlocations.asp

Routers Wireless Router Hardware Microsoft Networking