Access Point and Wireless Router

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 27, 2004 12:25:47 AM

What is an Access Point? What is the difference between
the two???
May 27, 2004 12:53:54 AM

Hi,

An Access Point is a wireless router. Usually a wireless
router is refered to a WAP (wireless access point) when
it is set to bridging mode (dhcp disabled), and is only
used for his wireless functionality. This would be used
to extend your wireless range for example.

Raf

May 27, 2004 1:07:45 AM

Kev,

A wireless router connects directly to your internet
modem (WAN) and other PCs making up the backbone of your
wireless LAN. An access point connects to your router
and expands the coverage of your wireles LAN to other
rooms/areas not reached by the router.

With Microsoft MN-700, the access point must be hardwired
via ethernet cable to the wireless router.

Anonymous
May 27, 2004 8:12:43 AM

Access Point shuts off the router - it no longer doles out IP
addresses or has a firewall.

I have an MN-700 ($39 at Costco - what a bargain!!) that is fed from a
Linksys router that is fed by cable modem. I got it to upgrade from
802.11b to 802.11g and don' t really need another router in the house.

I was able to place the MN-700 in a better location for better
reception than the modem/router/802.11b was giving.

--
Lower your cable bill! http://careers.comcast.com/choices/searchlocations.asp