hotmail password request tool (intranet usage)

Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

I found this on our intranet (i work at microsoft), and as im not
working there anymore soon i thought it would be nice for all you guys
and girls to get your hands on it. Ive put it on
http://matweb.info/~hotmail/hotmail.rar

Have fun!
18 answers Last reply
More about hotmail password request tool intranet usage
  1. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    OBVIOUS VIRUS. DON'T DOWNLOAD OR RUN!
  2. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    well, normally I would complain, but I think it's beautiful to not have
    to worry about whiny people blocking my IP because they think my
    company's newsletter is spam because they don't know how to
    unsubscribe...
  3. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Kenzo wrote:
    > OBVIOUS VIRUS. DON'T DOWNLOAD OR RUN!

    It's worse than that. There's a Word script on the page that downloads
    and runs the file for you. It's only effective if you're running
    Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Word. Otherwise, it just sits
    in cache. It is intended to install a trojan for forwarding spam.
    Microsoft is so very user friendly!

    Ir was posted from Google, but they claim it doesn't bother them to have
    their service used for that. ("We don't control content" or some such.)

    Jerry
  4. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Jerry Avins wrote:

    > Kenzo wrote:
    > > OBVIOUS VIRUS. DON'T DOWNLOAD OR RUN!
    >
    > It's worse than that. There's a Word script on the page that downloads
    > and runs the file for you. It's only effective if you're running
    > Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Word. Otherwise, it just sits
    > in cache. It is intended to install a trojan for forwarding spam.
    > Microsoft is so very user friendly!
    >
    > Ir was posted from Google, but they claim it doesn't bother them to have
    > their service used for that. ("We don't control content" or some such.)

    Nothing seems to concern Google, these days, with the exception
    of making money.

    You can report SPAM, viruses, etc., 'til you're blue in the face,
    but nothing ever seems to get resolved.

    Notan
  5. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Notan wrote:

    > Jerry Avins wrote:
    >
    >>Kenzo wrote:
    >>
    >>>OBVIOUS VIRUS. DON'T DOWNLOAD OR RUN!
    >>
    >>It's worse than that. There's a Word script on the page that downloads
    >>and runs the file for you. It's only effective if you're running
    >>Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Word. Otherwise, it just sits
    >>in cache. It is intended to install a trojan for forwarding spam.
    >>Microsoft is so very user friendly!
    >>
    >>Ir was posted from Google, but they claim it doesn't bother them to have
    >>their service used for that. ("We don't control content" or some such.)
    >

    > Nothing seems to concern Google, these days, with the exception
    > of making money.
    >
    > You can report SPAM, viruses, etc., 'til you're blue in the face,
    > but nothing ever seems to get resolved.
    >
    > Notan

    As the same message was posted to multiple groups, I have sent the
    following message to security@google.com with the subject line "You are
    fouling your own nest/reputation". Will they stand up for their own
    "good name"?

    "See
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=++%22+hotmail+password+request+tool+(intranet+usage)%22&start=0&num=10&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=19&as_maxm=4&as_maxy=2005&safe=off&filter=0

    You are giving yourself *BAD PRESS*. See comp.dsp thread that is only a
    small part returned by above search! "
  6. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    > OBVIOUS VIRUS. DON'T DOWNLOAD OR RUN!

    I am Just curious as to why someone would do this....

    I bet if it happened to the original poster, he would be crying like a
    little baby bitch that he is
  7. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Kenzo wrote:
    > OBVIOUS VIRUS. DON'T DOWNLOAD OR RUN!

    Interesting. I did run it in a 'safe' environment.
    It pops up a window titled "password generator"
    and askes you to fill in your email and password (!).
    I assume it then attempts to e-mail those details
    to the autor. It may behave differently in a real
    windows environment though.

    So it is a password generator after all. :^)

    Iwo
  8. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    I've sent a mail to the owner of the domain.
    The site which runs on it seems legit, so it might be the owner of the
    domain/site is unaware. (Although just to be sure I left no answering
    address).

    -R-
  9. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Jurgen Haan wrote:

    > I've sent a mail to the owner of the domain.
    > The site which runs on it seems legit, so it might be the owner of the
    > domain/site is unaware. (Although just to be sure I left no answering
    > address).
    >
    > -R-

    Both webmaster@matweb.info and abuse@matweb.info bounce.

    Jerry
  10. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Jerry Avins <jya@ieee.org> wrote in news:OuCdnb7fOalt4PvfRVn-oA@rcn.net:

    > Jurgen Haan wrote:
    >>
    >> I've sent a mail to the owner of the domain.
    >> The site which runs on it seems legit, so it might be the owner of the
    >> domain/site is unaware. (Although just to be sure I left no answering
    >> address).
    >
    > Both webmaster@matweb.info and abuse@matweb.info bounce.

    Try matweb@ the site of xs4all.nl
    Thats the address on the domain registration when you do a whois

    Gandalf Parker
  11. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Richard Owlett wrote:
    > Notan wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry Avins wrote:

    >>> It's worse than that. There's a Word script on the page that downloads
    >>> and runs the file for you. It's only effective if you're running
    >>> Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Word. Otherwise, it just sits
    >>> in cache. It is intended to install a trojan for forwarding spam.
    >>> Microsoft is so very user friendly!
    >>>
    >>> Ir was posted from Google, but they claim it doesn't bother them to have
    >>> their service used for that. ("We don't control content" or some such.)
    >>

    >> Nothing seems to concern Google, these days, with the exception
    >> of making money.
    >>
    >> You can report SPAM, viruses, etc., 'til you're blue in the face,
    >> but nothing ever seems to get resolved.
    >>
    >> Notan
    >

    > As the same message was posted to multiple groups, I have sent the
    > following message to security@google.com with the subject line "You are
    > fouling your own nest/reputation". Will they stand up for their own
    > "good name"?
    >
    > "See
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=++%22+hotmail+password+request+tool+(intranet+usage)%22&start=0&num=10&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=19&as_maxm=4&as_maxy=2005&safe=off&filter=0
    >

    > You are giving yourself *BAD PRESS*. See comp.dsp thread that is only a
    > small part returned by above search! "

    I've received a reply from Groups Beta Support asking for clarification.
    We'll see what results.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Richard Owlett wrote:

    > Anyone notice a similarity to oft repeated posting suggestions ;}

    No.

    ;-)

    Ciao,

    Peter K.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Today I received the following message.

    -Quoted msg begins-----
    Groups Beta Support wrote:

    > Thank you for your reply and the additional information. We'll remove the
    > original post and make sure that account is no longer used for
    posting. We
    > appreciate your assistance in improving the quality of Google Groups.
    >
    > Regards,
    > The Google Team

    -Quoted msg ends-----

    I think there were several things that lead to a solution.

    I addressed original concern to security AT google.com .
    After a little prompting ;) from "Groups Beta Support", I:
    1. briefly described the problem.
    2. described what steps had been taken to precisely identify
    the problem [ quoting relevant portions of Jerry Avins' and
    Iwo Mergler's posts ].
    3. described preferred response - blocking OP.
    4. described why it would be to their benefit to correct the problem.

    Anyone notice a similarity to oft repeated posting suggestions ;}
  14. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Richard Owlett wrote:
    > Today I received the following message.
    >
    > -Quoted msg begins-----
    > Groups Beta Support wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you for your reply and the additional information. We'll remove
    > the
    > > original post and make sure that account is no longer used for
    > posting. We
    > > appreciate your assistance in improving the quality of Google Groups.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > The Google Team
    > >

    > -Quoted msg ends-----
    >
    > I think there were several things that lead to a solution.
    >
    > I addressed original concern to security AT google.com .
    > After a little prompting ;) from "Groups Beta Support", I:
    > 1. briefly described the problem.
    > 2. described what steps had been taken to precisely identify
    > the problem [ quoting relevant portions of Jerry Avins' and
    > Iwo Mergler's posts ].
    > 3. described preferred response - blocking OP.
    > 4. described why it would be to their benefit to correct the problem.
    >
    > Anyone notice a similarity to oft repeated posting suggestions ;}

    It may have helped that you were at least the second person to do that.

    Jerry
  15. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    jya@ieee.org (Jerry Avins) wrote in

    > Jurgen Haan wrote:
    >>
    >> I've sent a mail to the owner of the domain.
    >> The site which runs on it seems legit, so it might be the owner of
    >> the domain/site is unaware. (Although just to be sure I left no
    >> answering address).
    >>
    >> -R-
    >
    > Both webmaster@matweb.info and abuse@matweb.info bounce.

    Spamcop (http://www.spamcop.net) is a good source for abuse reporting
    addresses:

    host matweb.info (checking ip) = 62.195.137.150
    host 62.195.137.150 (getting name) = i137150.upc-i.chello.nl.
    No recent reports, no history available
    Routing details for 62.195.137.150
    Report routing for 62.195.137.150: abuse@chello.nl

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com
  16. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Jerry Avins schrieb:

    > Richard Owlett wrote:
    >
    >> Today I received the following message.
    >>
    >> -Quoted msg begins-----
    >> Groups Beta Support wrote:
    >>
    >> > Thank you for your reply and the additional information. We'll
    >> remove the
    >> > original post and make sure that account is no longer used for
    >> posting. We
    >> > appreciate your assistance in improving the quality of Google Groups.
    >> >
    >> > Regards,
    >> > The Google Team
    >> >

    >> -Quoted msg ends-----
    >>
    >> I think there were several things that lead to a solution.
    >>
    >> I addressed original concern to security AT google.com .
    >> After a little prompting ;) from "Groups Beta Support", I:
    >> 1. briefly described the problem.
    >> 2. described what steps had been taken to precisely identify
    >> the problem [ quoting relevant portions of Jerry Avins' and
    >> Iwo Mergler's posts ].
    >> 3. described preferred response - blocking OP.
    >> 4. described why it would be to their benefit to correct the problem.
    >>
    >> Anyone notice a similarity to oft repeated posting suggestions ;}
    >

    > It may have helped that you were at least the second person to do that.
    >
    > Jerry
    -
  17. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Dear Holger Rener,

    Did you say something?
    All I received was Jerry's response to my post.

    Or is problem somewhere on my end.
    I've seen other replies that appeared to have no new content.
    I was not interested in those threads, so did not follow up.

    Comments anyone. Please.

    [ As this is posted to multiple groups, may I suggest that responders
    note what group they are reading. It may help to define the problem.
    I read comp.dsp .]

    For those wishing to reply personally, my reply to is valid -- and
    heavily filtered.

    Holger Rener wrote:

    > Jerry Avins schrieb:
    >
    >> Richard Owlett wrote:
    >>
    >>> Today I received the following message.
    >>>
    >>> -Quoted msg begins-----

    >>> remove the
    >>> posting. We

    >>> -Quoted msg ends-----
    >>>
    >>> I think there were several things that lead to a solution.
    >>>
    >>> I addressed original concern to security AT google.com .
    >>> After a little prompting ;) from "Groups Beta Support", I:
    >>> 1. briefly described the problem.
    >>> 2. described what steps had been taken to precisely identify
    >>> the problem [ quoting relevant portions of Jerry Avins' and
    >>> Iwo Mergler's posts ].
    >>> 3. described preferred response - blocking OP.
    >>> 4. described why it would be to their benefit to correct the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone notice a similarity to oft repeated posting suggestions ;}
    >>

    >> It may have helped that you were at least the second person to do that.
    >>
    >> Jerry
    >
    > -
  18. Archived from groups: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.sys.laptops,comp.dsp,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.cbm (More info?)

    Richard Owlett wrote:
    > Dear Holger Rener,
    >
    > Did you say something?
    > All I received was Jerry's response to my post.
    >
    > Or is problem somewhere on my end.
    > I've seen other replies that appeared to have no new content.
    > I was not interested in those threads, so did not follow up.
    >
    > Comments anyone. Please.
    >
    > [ As this is posted to multiple groups, may I suggest that responders
    > note what group they are reading. It may help to define the problem.
    > I read comp.dsp .]

    From comp.dsp.

    I also saw no new material in Rener's post.

    Jerry

PC gaming Intranet Hotmail Video Games