Sign in with
Your question

Between 5pm-11pm, Wireless Speed Drops but nothing has changed!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 12, 2013 1:46:43 AM

Past 6 weeks, network has been glitching: wireless drops, speed drops, random disconnects, etc. Since then, I've done the works: major virus scans, registry repairs, driver/firmware updates, speed tests, line tests, replacing the modem, replaced the router twice with 2 different other makes, even getting the ISP guys replacing the cable.

After all of this, everything is fixed save for one thing.

Starting around 5pm for a couple of hours, the wireless' speed would drop from the standard 10mbps to 0.1mbps. I cannot find a reason why the wireless decides to be inhospitable.

With three different makes (D-link, Belkin, Netgear), how can all 3 have the same problems while anything connected directly with Ethernet gets full speed? Nothing has changed or added in the house and I've changed the wireless channel to every channel between 1 and 11.

Is there any way to find out what could be interfering?
a b F Wireless
February 12, 2013 2:05:03 AM

It may simply be your ISP placing bandwidth limits on you so he can better support all the ppl getting home from work and who are about to start using their computers, streaming Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. 5-11PM is prime time!
m
l
February 12, 2013 2:11:17 AM

This problem only occurs with the wireless; if I connect a computer directly to the router with ethernet, I get my normal bandwidth
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
February 12, 2013 2:15:30 AM

Are you in a highly populated area and competing w/ many other wireless routers on the same freq?
m
l
February 12, 2013 2:17:36 AM

No, suburbs and with only a few houses on the side of my place. My devices cannot detect any other wireless routers and if we do, they are very weak.
m
l
February 12, 2013 9:33:38 PM

Its past 5pm again and its doing it again. With the 3rd router and 2nd brand new one, it should not have range issues during parts of the day.

Please. Help. I can't do a thing!
m
l
a b F Wireless
February 12, 2013 11:46:26 PM

What happens if you eliminate the router and connect a PC directly to the modem, does it improve or stay the same?
m
l
February 12, 2013 11:51:38 PM

thelastcenturion said:

With three different makes (D-link, Belkin, Netgear), how can all 3 have the same problems while anything connected directly with Ethernet gets full speed? Nothing has changed or added in the house and I've changed the wireless channel to every channel between 1 and 11.
m
l
a b F Wireless
February 12, 2013 11:54:04 PM

I thought you meant wired users to the router, didn't realize you meant the modem.

So what happens w/ wired users on the *router* (not modem), is this ONLY a wireless issue w/ the router, or ANY user (wired or wireless) on the router.
m
l
February 13, 2013 12:13:21 AM

If a computer is connected directly to the MODEM, they get full bandwidth.

Else if a computer is connected directly to the ROUTER that is connected to the MODEM, they get full bandwidth.

Else if a computer is connected WIRELESSLY to the router that is connected to the mode, they will have problems after 5pm
m
l
a b F Wireless
February 13, 2013 12:29:27 AM

The fact it only affects wireless, and you’ve changed the wireless router several times, and it happens at a specific, predictable time, suggests to me that *maybe* someone is jamming the 2.4GHz in your area, either coincidentally or purposely. 2.4GHz is an “open” freq and used by many other types of devices (cordless phone, microwave ovens, baby monitors, video senders/receivers, etc.), so interference can come from many non-wifi sources. That’s why simply determining there are no other wifi-based wireless routers in your area using something like inSSIDer may not be enough.

m
l
February 13, 2013 12:46:58 AM

So what can I do to find the source of what is plaguing me so I may have a discussion with a neighbor or people in charge?
m
l
February 13, 2013 10:27:28 PM

Like clockwork, the problem is happening again.

using inSSIDer, I've found a 2.4GHZ Hon Hai router that goes from a signal strength of -80 (or weak strength) to spikes of 0 (or full strength) occurring several times every several minutes between 5pm-11pm; the rest of the day the strength is -90 to -80 and rarely spikes.

Could this be the problem?
m
l
!