Radio & Labels-New Distribtion?

Last response: in Home Audio
March 7, 2005 4:05:18 PM

Radio & Labels-New Distribtion?
Look for Radio and labels to get on board with new digital media
distribution systems for transferring high quality music and promo
files from the label to the media company.
With new biometric dynamics and watermarking, security looks great. It
looks like no additional hardware is needed which means it should be
pretty cheap. I work with a lot of independents and I think it will be
amazing to send out high-quality files securely to all the radio
stations instead of CD's.

kevin doyle
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:41:09 AM

"Matrixmusic" <kevindoylemusic@rogers.com> wrote in message news:1110229518.205684.287950@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Radio & Labels-New Distribtion?
> Look for Radio and labels to get on board with new digital media
> distribution systems for transferring high quality music and promo
> files from the label to the media company.
> With new biometric dynamics and watermarking, security looks great. It
> looks like no additional hardware is needed which means it should be
> pretty cheap. I work with a lot of independents and I think it will be
> amazing to send out high-quality files securely to all the radio
> stations instead of CD's.

I hope this works. I know a couple of stations now that actually
broadcast high-quality MP3 files received from distributors.

DM
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:11:49 AM

Matrixmusic wrote:

> Radio & Labels-New Distribtion?
> Look for Radio and labels to get on board with new digital media
> distribution systems for transferring high quality music and promo
> files from the label to the media company.
> With new biometric dynamics and watermarking, security looks great.

WTF does "biometric dynamics" mean when translated out of marketing drivel?
Now sending watermarked files is reasonable, and it is probably cheap enough
to give each file a unique watermark so that at least you know WHO
leaked...

Does anyone know how well watermarks tend to survive optimod/time
compression/whatever else commercial radio is doing to perfectly innocent
audio these days?

> I work with a lot of independents and I think it will be
> amazing to send out high-quality files securely to all the radio
> stations instead of CD's.

Public key crypto is here today (and has been for the last 10 years)!
I would note that it is only as good as the key management at the recipients
end, and that this tends to be true of ANY authentication scheme.
Unless you can individually watermark files so that you can SHOW that the
recipient leaked, I do not really see that this gets you much over just
emailing the damm wav file.

One interesting possibility is to send out the product in advance of a
release, then on release day just send the crypto key needed to decode the
file...

Just some thoughts.

Regards, Dan.
March 8, 2005 2:11:50 AM

Dan Mills <dmills@spamblock.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Matrixmusic wrote:
>
>> Radio & Labels-New Distribtion?
>> Look for Radio and labels to get on board with new digital media
>> distribution systems for transferring high quality music and promo
>> files from the label to the media company.
>> With new biometric dynamics and watermarking, security looks great.
>
>WTF does "biometric dynamics" mean when translated out of marketing drivel?
>Now sending watermarked files is reasonable, and it is probably cheap enough
>to give each file a unique watermark so that at least you know WHO
>leaked...

Biometric dynamics is like when the PD calls up the label and the label
says, "Hello Mr. X" or "You don't SOUND like Mr. X" because all the label
distribution guys know all the PDs of the big stations by the sound of
their voice.

>Does anyone know how well watermarks tend to survive optimod/time
>compression/whatever else commercial radio is doing to perfectly innocent
>audio these days?

Who cares? After it's been through all of that, nobody will want to tape
it anyway. Remember, if you can make out the words, your processing chain
isn't aggressive enough.

>> I work with a lot of independents and I think it will be
>> amazing to send out high-quality files securely to all the radio
>> stations instead of CD's.
>
>Public key crypto is here today (and has been for the last 10 years)!
>I would note that it is only as good as the key management at the recipients
>end, and that this tends to be true of ANY authentication scheme.
>Unless you can individually watermark files so that you can SHOW that the
>recipient leaked, I do not really see that this gets you much over just
>emailing the damm wav file.

So, just send a test pressing out to the stations. If it leaks, you'll be
able to tell from the surface noise.

>One interesting possibility is to send out the product in advance of a
>release, then on release day just send the crypto key needed to decode the
>file...

The whole advantage of digital transmission over the net is that you don't
have to send it out in advance of the release. You put it up and all the
stations can get it within the course of minutes. This eliminates the whole
issue of sending out 7.5 ips tapes to stations two weeks in advance (shipping
Media Mail to save costs) and the programming leaking out before the official
release date, because it eliminates all of the shipping time.
--scott
March 8, 2005 10:28:36 AM

"Matrixmusic" <kevindoylemusic@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Radio & Labels-New Distribtion?
> Look for Radio and labels to get on board with new digital media
> distribution systems for transferring high quality music and promo
> files from the label to the media company.
> With new biometric dynamics and watermarking, security looks great. It
> looks like no additional hardware is needed which means it should be
> pretty cheap. I work with a lot of independents and I think it will be
> amazing to send out high-quality files securely to all the radio
> stations instead of CD's.

I do a radio program, one that's nowhere near the mainstream, and this very
question came up recently on the newsgroup run by and for DJs in my little
end of the radio universe, which is folk music. The instantaneous and almost
unanimous response from the programmers was, HELL NO. It's already a pain in
the keister to sort through the stacks and mountains of CDs that are
released by artists ranging from touring fulltime professionals to the yoga
teacher with a MOTU in his family room, who writes songs about relationships
in the key of Am. The notion of also having to download the stuff and burn
it to our own CDs, load it into our iPods so we can listen to it, or
whatever -- no thank you very much. Most of us don't get paid for this, and
we have to sandwich it in when we can.

Now the Clear Channel stations that only broadcast 29 songs a month over and
over, for whom "Oldies" come from 2002, and which are programmed from
national headquarters with only new releases from the Big Four -- oops,
Three -- record companies, whichever one fed the music director the most
cocaine that week, well, it might make sense for their music to be
distributed that way.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 12:12:08 PM

In article <EucXd.113346$Th1.48348@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> pstamlerhell@pobox.com writes:

> It's already a pain in
> the keister to sort through the stacks and mountains of CDs that are
> released by artists ranging from touring fulltime professionals to the yoga
> teacher with a MOTU in his family room, who writes songs about relationships
> in the key of Am. The notion of also having to download the stuff and burn
> it to our own CDs, load it into our iPods so we can listen to it, or
> whatever -- no thank you very much. Most of us don't get paid for this, and
> we have to sandwich it in when we can.

In the folk music world (excluding the yoga teacher who writes about
relationships in Amin) it's often important to listen to the whole
song before deciding whether to put it on the air or not, or when to
play it. But in the pop music world, an on-line audition system could
work. Since most MDs (and even label A&R people) make a play/no-play
decision based on the first five or ten seconds, I could see someone
sitting at a desk clicking through the day's (or week's) offerings,
marking ones he wants to play, then letting them download while he
goes for a triple neutered skinny flat white.