Windows live mail won't download contacts

Anne Blenk

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I just reinstalled Windows Live Essentials (Windows Live mail) for the second time, but the contact page again is totally empty. There are no contacts on the contact page. Contact page headers do not even appear, giving me no option to import contacts. The header from the preceding choice remains. If you right click on an email address and choose 'Add sender to contacts', the box comes up to fill in the information, but it does not appear on the contact page. Help! Anne

burninglady2012

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Anne, have you had any luck? I tried uninstalling Windows Live essentials and re-installing, still with no luck. It all started with an update to WLE. I've seen the same problem all over the internet with non answers.

burninglady2012

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Anne -what I did worked. It just took hours for the contacts to download. Suddenly they were all there! First i tried re-running the update, and that didn't work. Here's what did. I restarted my computer. I then deactivated my email account from Windows Live Email. I restarted my computer again. I then uninstalled Windows Live Email. I restarted my computer again. I then installed Windows Live Email from the website. I restarted my computer again. I then added my email account to Windows Live Email. I restarted my computer again. I logged into my email through Windows Live Email (which I never used to do - I always skipped that step but i gave it a whirl) and it took hours for my email to download. After that was complete I crossed my fingers and checked the contacts page; to my dismay, it still looked the same - my contacts page still looked the same as yours - completely blank with no options. I put the computer down in frustration.

Two hours later I came back to check my email, wrote an email and when I started typing in the address all my contact options popped up! Sure enough, they're all there - all 1500 of them. Remember that Windows Live email is just a picture of your Internet email. What email service provider do you use? I use Hotmail and Gmail and run them both through Windows Live Email. That way I have it locally on my computer and on the internet and other devices when I'm traveling.

let me know if there's anything i can do to help. I hope it works out for you.
Kate