prob with usb2.0 cardbus adaptr & ext. LG combo

edhkim

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I have an LG 16x32x10x40 dvd/cdrw in a generic IDE to USB 2.0 external case, plugged into an ST Lab (seems to be Sunrich Technology Limited, as far as I can tell) USB 2.0 CardBus adapter... I got the adapter since I don't have a high speed hub built into my laptop, and now I can watch DVDs okay (ie, at the right speed), but the closest I can get to burning is in Nero when it *says* it's starting to burn. The write light on the drive starts blinking, but as far as I can tell the laser never gets turned on, since I have to close the program and hard switch the drive off and on again or else it just keeps spinning the disc forever..., but the discs are completely blank when I finally get them out! I'm running WinXP, SP1 and any updates installed.

The clincher is that I can burn cd's if I plug the usb cable into my built-in USB port (Inspiron 2650), but the Buffer Underrun protection goes into overtime and a full disc burn takes about 35 minutes...

So I'm guessing the problem is either with the external IDE to USB 2.0 case or the cardbus adapter, and the immediate problem is that the computer can't get the burn laser to turn on for whatever reason. Anyone have any ideas, or ideas where to look for solutions if this is not the correct forum? There are no driver updates for the cardbus adapter since it's supposed to be included in service pack 1, and the case is too generic to track down (well for me, anyway) anyone to ask a question. Any help would be really appreciated, I'd really like to start burning cd's at the speeds the drive was built for.

Thanks for your time,
Ed

edhkim

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
So I was almost right, the problem was with the PC card adapter and interfacing with XP. Apparently there's something keeping XP from being able to write to things on the USB 2.0 hub, hard drives included.

Go here for another guy's story, and download a fix:
http://home.insightbb.com/~scottlandon

cheers.