Should Sprint notify customers when their plan gets cheaper?

Last response: in Network Providers
December 6, 2004 7:43:36 PM

I have been a Sprint customer since 2000. My mistake was that I didn't
check my invoices carefully for a long time. I noticed that i was paying
$10 every month for weekend and evening minues on top of $50 for 500
anytime minutes. I found out later there's a plan where Sprint has a plan
for $40 for 500 minues which includes unlimited weekend. It seems I have
bene paying the extra $10 for a *long* time plus another $10 when the plan
went from $50 to $40.

Is it ok for a company to not automatically switch the customer to a
cheaper fee if the plan becomes cheaper? It seems we customers will only
save money if we notice the discounts and tell the company to modify the
billing.

--
John Dalberg

More about : sprint notify customers plan cheaper

December 7, 2004 12:19:52 AM

In article <1fx2j8sdc6pj3$.15lsmudymsco8$.dlg@40tude.net>,
John Dalberg <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have been a Sprint customer since 2000. My mistake was that I didn't
> check my invoices carefully for a long time. I noticed that i was paying
> $10 every month for weekend and evening minues on top of $50 for 500
> anytime minutes. I found out later there's a plan where Sprint has a plan
> for $40 for 500 minues which includes unlimited weekend. It seems I have
> bene paying the extra $10 for a *long* time plus another $10 when the plan
> went from $50 to $40.
>
> Is it ok for a company to not automatically switch the customer to a
> cheaper fee if the plan becomes cheaper?

A company is not obligated to tell its customers when a plan becomes
cheaper. However, it is generally good customer relations to do so.

|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
| inconvenience me with questions?"
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:49:46 AM

"John Dalberg" <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have been a Sprint customer since 2000. My mistake was that I didn't
> check my invoices carefully for a long time. I noticed that i was paying
> $10 every month for weekend and evening minues on top of $50 for 500
> anytime minutes. I found out later there's a plan where Sprint has a plan
> for $40 for 500 minues which includes unlimited weekend. It seems I have
> bene paying the extra $10 for a *long* time plus another $10 when the
plan
> went from $50 to $40.
>
> Is it ok for a company to not automatically switch the customer to a
> cheaper fee if the plan becomes cheaper? It seems we customers will only
> save money if we notice the discounts and tell the company to modify the
> billing.

Absolutely not ... SPCS made a contract with you for the plan you decided
on. When your obligation for that plan (i.e. 1 year contract), they
maintained the same plan for you. If they had changed your plan without your
permission, and extended your obligation to the company, i.e. another year
or two years, you would have been royally pissed.

It is up to the customer to know what plan he/she/they need, per the amount
of minutes they expect to use, the coverage they need, and the options,
i.e.: Vision, calling to Canada, calling to Mexico, etc.

Now, when you are looking at the plans, look at the F&CA option, as it will
allow you to use your minutes to roam, when you get out of the service area,
at no additional expense.

Bob
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 7, 2004 8:10:29 AM

> Now, when you are looking at the plans, look at the F&CA option, as
it will
> allow you to use your minutes to roam, when you get out of the
service area,
> at no additional expense.
>
> Bob

Could you elaborate on the F&CA option. I looked on the sprintpcs.com
and could not find any mention of it.

Thanks,
jw
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 10:05:46 AM

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:49:46 GMT, Bob Smith wrote:

> "John Dalberg" <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have been a Sprint customer since 2000. My mistake was that I didn't
>> check my invoices carefully for a long time. I noticed that i was paying
>> $10 every month for weekend and evening minues on top of $50 for 500
>> anytime minutes. I found out later there's a plan where Sprint has a plan
>> for $40 for 500 minues which includes unlimited weekend. It seems I have
>> bene paying the extra $10 for a *long* time plus another $10 when the
> plan
>> went from $50 to $40.
>>
>> Is it ok for a company to not automatically switch the customer to a
>> cheaper fee if the plan becomes cheaper? It seems we customers will only
>> save money if we notice the discounts and tell the company to modify the
>> billing.
>
> Absolutely not ... SPCS made a contract with you for the plan you decided
> on. When your obligation for that plan (i.e. 1 year contract), they
> maintained the same plan for you. If they had changed your plan without your
> permission, and extended your obligation to the company, i.e. another year
> or two years, you would have been royally pissed.

The plan has expired. The plan became cheaper yet Sprint kept billing me
the same amount.

> It is up to the customer to know what plan he/she/they need, per the amount
> of minutes they expect to use, the coverage they need, and the options,
> i.e.: Vision, calling to Canada, calling to Mexico, etc.

I am aware of the minutes and plan. This is not the issue. The issue is
Sprint kept billing me the old price when the same plan became cheaper long
time ago.
I am not in the habit of checking the latest Sprint plans but with the
constant prices changes, maybe I should have.

--
John Dalberg
Anonymous

I think the term is "grandfathered". For instance I have a plane for
$40 that includes 400 anytime minutes and unlimited nights & weekends.
AFAIK they no longer offer this plan--I think there's a $45 for 500
minutes/unlimited N&W--but that does not mean I'm left in the lurch--as
long as one person retains a plan it is active.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 4:02:30 PM

John Dalberg wrote:

> Is it ok for a company to not automatically switch the customer to a
> cheaper fee if the plan becomes cheaper?

Absolutely not. This is because most of those cheaper plans require you
to extend your contract. In essence, you are asking Sprint to bind you
to a contract extension without your express consent, something which
they cannot legally do.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
December 7, 2004 5:32:54 PM

"jw" <jw@unearthly.net> wrote in message news:9Xatd.2933$xa6.259@trnddc09...

> > Now, when you are looking at the plans, look at the F&CA option, as
> it will
> > allow you to use your minutes to roam, when you get out of the
> service area,
> > at no additional expense.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Could you elaborate on the F&CA option. I looked on the sprintpcs.com
> and could not find any mention of it.
>
> Thanks,
> jw

Free & Clear America - In SPCS corporate coverage areas, it costs $5/mo. and
allows you to make & receive roaming calls, without the cost of roaming,
including LD outgoing calls. If you are in an affiliate area, it will cost
between $5 to $10/mo.

Go into SPCS's site, plug in your zip code and select a plan, and scroll
down to see what's available where you live.

Bob
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:02:38 PM

The plan you are on does not, did not, expire. It may be no longer
offered. If a current plan will better meet your calling habits,
volume, is up to you not Sprint PCS.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 9:12:42 PM

> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:49:46 GMT, Bob Smith wrote:
>
> > "John Dalberg" <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I have been a Sprint customer since 2000. My mistake was that I didn't
> >> check my invoices carefully for a long time. I noticed that i was
paying
> >> $10 every month for weekend and evening minues on top of $50 for 500
> >> anytime minutes. I found out later there's a plan where Sprint has a
plan
> >> for $40 for 500 minues which includes unlimited weekend. It seems I
have
> >> bene paying the extra $10 for a *long* time plus another $10 when the
> > plan
> >> went from $50 to $40.
> >>
> >> Is it ok for a company to not automatically switch the customer to a
> >> cheaper fee if the plan becomes cheaper? It seems we customers will
only
> >> save money if we notice the discounts and tell the company to modify
the
> >> billing.
> >
> > Absolutely not ... SPCS made a contract with you for the plan you
decided
> > on. When your obligation for that plan (i.e. 1 year contract), they
> > maintained the same plan for you. If they had changed your plan without
your
> > permission, and extended your obligation to the company, i.e. another
year
> > or two years, you would have been royally pissed.
>
> The plan has expired. The plan became cheaper yet Sprint kept billing me
> the same amount.

Sure, that's what you agreed to, with SPCS. If they had changed your plan,
without your knowledge and consent, and locked you into another year or two,
you'd be moaning and groaning here like crazy ...

> > It is up to the customer to know what plan he/she/they need, per the
amount
> > of minutes they expect to use, the coverage they need, and the options,
> > i.e.: Vision, calling to Canada, calling to Mexico, etc.
>
> I am aware of the minutes and plan. This is not the issue. The issue is
> Sprint kept billing me the old price when the same plan became cheaper
long
> time ago.
> I am not in the habit of checking the latest Sprint plans but with the
> constant prices changes, maybe I should have.

Until the customer decides they need to make a change to their plan, SPCS
honors the original agreement. There are folks here who still have the
Pioneer plan offered 8 years ago, where there was no monthly service charge
@ $0.35/min charge.

As for you checking plans, I would recommend doing so every few months. Just
be aware that when one makes a change to their plans these days, their
annual agreement would be extended for a year ... or two.

Bob
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 5:12:03 AM

"John Dalberg" <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:49:46 GMT, Bob Smith wrote:
>
> > "John Dalberg" <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I have been a Sprint customer since 2000. My mistake was that I didn't
> >> check my invoices carefully for a long time. I noticed that i was
paying
> >> $10 every month for weekend and evening minues on top of $50 for 500
> >> anytime minutes. I found out later there's a plan where Sprint has a
plan
> >> for $40 for 500 minues which includes unlimited weekend. It seems I
have
> >> bene paying the extra $10 for a *long* time plus another $10 when the
> > plan
> >> went from $50 to $40.
> >>
> >> Is it ok for a company to not automatically switch the customer to a
> >> cheaper fee if the plan becomes cheaper? It seems we customers will
only
> >> save money if we notice the discounts and tell the company to modify
the
> >> billing.
> >
> > Absolutely not ... SPCS made a contract with you for the plan you
decided
> > on. When your obligation for that plan (i.e. 1 year contract), they
> > maintained the same plan for you. If they had changed your plan without
your
> > permission, and extended your obligation to the company, i.e. another
year
> > or two years, you would have been royally pissed.
>
> The plan has expired. The plan became cheaper yet Sprint kept billing me
> the same amount.

The plan did not become cheaper, they came out with cheaper options.

> > It is up to the customer to know what plan he/she/they need, per the
amount
> > of minutes they expect to use, the coverage they need, and the options,
> > i.e.: Vision, calling to Canada, calling to Mexico, etc.
>
> I am aware of the minutes and plan. This is not the issue. The issue is
> Sprint kept billing me the old price when the same plan became cheaper
long
> time ago.
> I am not in the habit of checking the latest Sprint plans but with the
> constant prices changes, maybe I should have.

Maybe?

They charged you what you agreed to. What if they increase prices on their
plans? Do they have the right/responsibility to increase your rate? By
your logic they do.

-F
!