Win7 failing to boot due to patch.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I shut down my system after installing the latest set of Win7 patches about 3 hours ago and now it refuses to boot. Tried to restore previous points with no luck, they all give the same result as before, it simply gets to the 'loading windows' screen with no animation and just hangs there.
In repair it passes all of the tests before giving the reason for not being able to boot as "due to Windows patch", I'm at somewhat of a loss here...

This is on a completely legal copy of Win7 64.

Solution

+1. When patches mess up a system as they did to you, it's usually a one-time thing. Attempting the patch install again 99% of the time does not result in the same behavior as the first attempted install.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

Tried that, the latest restore point simply fails and any previous ones just leave me hanging on boot.

I'm also using Kaspersky.

Edit: Forgot to mention, cant get into safe mode as it locks before reaching the point which would allow me to enter it. Strangely enough though I managed to boot into the safe mode for windows repair (didnt even know it had one) and the diagnostic turned up with no problem found.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

The automated repair does ah heck all unfortunately, all it does is say repair unsuccesful and gives the reason for failing to boot (due to the patch).

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

If you had bothered to read what the 'anti pirate' patch does then you'd not have posted something so utterly stupid, it's in the news section.
Still dont believe me? I can send you a picture of my Win7 case/disk if you insist.

To quote the news: "Of course, if a hack or exploit is found, Windows 7 will alert the user by removing the desktop background and pop up periodic reminders of just how non-genuine it is feeling.", yeah, totally sounds like my problem.

mi1ez

Splendid

If you've never had windows crap out through an update, think yourself very lucky! Doesn't make OP a pirate though.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
It's seemingly sorted for now (well it's booted up anyway), after running checkdisk noticed that the disk size shown was a few hundred gb's smaller then it should be, switched over SATA ports and hey presto, it loads.

I've had problems with my SATA ports in the past but never guessed that it was causing this issue, so might be time for an upgrade to i5/7 in order to replace this piece of crap..

Unfortunately now the system restore has gone through the patches are no longer installed, leaving me in a quandary as to install them or not.

+1. When patches mess up a system as they did to you, it's usually a one-time thing. Attempting the patch install again 99% of the time does not result in the same behavior as the first attempted install.

Solution