Restoring computer to factory state question

steveox152

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I am attempting to restore my 3 year old HP desktop back to factory condition. My question is my computer shipped with vista and I later upgraded to windows 7. Will recovering the computer to original factory condition roll me back to vista and delete windows 7?

Thank You

steveox152

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Im trying to find a way to basically wipe the entire drive but keep windows 7 operational. Im giving this computer to someone and I want it to work right and be operational

Thanks
Steve

G

if you are giving the computer to someone else the best thing would be to reformat the whole drive, install vista then upgrade to 7 again; assuming you still have all the discs.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
To install Windows 7 using the Custom option and formatting the hard disk

To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

Restart your computer.

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

When you've finished formatting, click Next.

Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

steveox152

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

If I have my product key for my version of windows 7 on my HP desktop..can I use a different windows 7 disk than I used upon install. For example one that I used on a different computer? I dont think that I have the original disk that I used to instal Win7 on that computer.

Hi :)

It wont accept his UPGRADE key if he does it that way.....

He has GOT to install Vista FIRST and activate it, then use his Upgrade disc,,,,,then activate that...

We do this all the time in my shops...

All the best Brett :)

Hi :)

When you upgraded from Vista ..WHICH version of 7 did you use ? was it an upgrade disc ?

All the best Brett :)

G

if you lost the original disc i believe you can download the same as an ISO from M$.

steveox152

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

So my original HP computer is in need of a fresh install and format of the drive so that I can give it to someone. When I purchased the computer it contained windows vista out of the box. I later recieved an Upgrade disk to upgrade from Vista to Win7 Home Premium. The disk came from HP and not Microsoft (the disk looks different than a regular upgrade disk from microsoft). I believe that I just found the upgrade disk but I also have a seperate windows 7 home premium disk that I recently used on my custom build. I know that they have 2 seperate product keys.

starshipwarrior

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
We have a HP TouchSmart 610, intel core i3, 64 bit OS my daughter should do a clean install but all the files are on the hard drive we have tried a few things but I believe a clean install is the only way to clear some of the problems she has - (one is the carousel system is gone and I can't fine where it is in the system)

She wants to save some of the programs she downloaded (free) but i told here that is not do-able with a clean install - she also would like to download the beta win 8, which I think will only complicate things - i have copied all her files and pictures to a DVD and not really sure where to go from here.