WW1 or 2 Game recommendation.

I'm looking for a good WW game that I might find enjoyable. My only
experience of this sub-genre has been Sudden Strike Gold.
what I'd like is a game where you have turn-based moves on an overall map,
but real-time on the battles (rather like Total War).
Or a game where you have the battles of the war (ie Kursk or the Ardennes
counter-offensive).

"Aquila" <Aquila@Aquila.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a good WW game that I might find enjoyable. My only
> experience of this sub-genre has been Sudden Strike Gold.
> what I'd like is a game where you have turn-based moves on an overall map,
> but real-time on the battles (rather like Total War).
> Or a game where you have the battles of the war (ie Kursk or the Ardennes
> counter-offensive).

The best ones that I can recommend to you are:

Combat Mission (http://www.battlefront.com)
the Close Combat series (4 and 5 IIRC had the strategy map/RTS battles) but
are probably hard to find
The Operational Art of War
East Front, West Front and Rising Sun (again, may be hard to find, but worth
it).
I THINK it's call Panzer General (it's a freebie, but don't let that fool
you).

all of these are a bit older, but they are damn good games.

I second the close combat recommendation. All but the first one
(which was still fun) are fantastic. No. 4 (battle of the bulge) is my
favorite.

Aquila: I bought a World War I game last year called "WWI The Great
War" It's a RTS strategy game & it's made by a Russuan developer. I
think it was published by www.buka.com Also, you can check
www.gamespot.com for a review. I'm sure you can score it for short
money now. I paid $19.99 in it's first few weeks of it's release.

It was fun enough when I played it. Maybe you'll enjoy it.

Alex

Aquila wrote:
> I'm looking for a good WW game that I might find enjoyable. My only
> experience of this sub-genre has been Sudden Strike Gold.
> what I'd like is a game where you have turn-based moves on an overall map,
> but real-time on the battles (rather like Total War).
> Or a game where you have the battles of the war (ie Kursk or the Ardennes
> counter-offensive).

http://www.codemasters.co.uk/soldiers/index.php

the BEST game you can find it out there + lot's of great mods.

--

tonkica polonkica frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Its got to be close combat for small real time battles those games are
fantastic. I loved the Battle of the Bulge. D-Day was rather repetitive
though. The Russian Front one seemed very good but I never bought it just
tried the demo.I'll never ever forget some of the phrases in those games -
they haunt my soul - "sergeant!" :)

Panzer General although old is still very good for larger scale battles but
is more of a turn based wargame than a real time game.