Reach for the Stars Manual

Hello all!

If you hadn't heard, SSG has re-released Reach for the Stars through Matrix
games. If you owned the original SSI release, there is a new patch (v 1.40)
that will bring your game up to the new version.

Now for the question...I have the original game and am installing it now,
but I can't seem to find the manual. Does anyone know where I can find a
softcopy of it? I want to start playing it again (especially if all the old
bugs are gone) but I really don't remember how to play....

Thanks in advance!

Arnie "Diarmud" Horta

I also get the "reading past end of file" followed by crash to desktop.
Very annoying and disappointing. Did they actually test this patch
before releasing it? I hope Matrix is reading this newsgroup, or I
hope someone will inform them.

Okay, I got it working. I had to install from the CD, then install the
1.2 patch that I had hanging around from years ago, and then install
the 1.4 patch on top of that. I've successfully played through several
turns of a random map game with no problems, and the startup screen
confirms that it's version 1.4. If this is what I had to do, I think
Matrix should have let us know. And how many of us are going to have
the old 1.2 patch, anyway?

On the other hand, it sure is good of them to provide a free update to
an old game!

bill

Is it basically the same game that was originally released? Loved the
Commodore 64 version, hated the PC version.

Bill

In article <sc2dnUvNubeHiuHfRVn-qw@comcast.com>,
ahorta@spamdie.comcast.net says...
> Hello all!
>
> If you hadn't heard, SSG has re-released Reach for the Stars through Matrix
> games. If you owned the original SSI release, there is a new patch (v 1.40)
> that will bring your game up to the new version.

Have you been able to get it to work? I also reinstalled the game and
applied the patch, but when I try to start a game I get an error
(reading past the end of resource.dat or s.th. very similar) followed by
a crash to desktop. <sigh> Happens on random map, happens on tutorial or
scenario as well.

> Now for the question...I have the original game and am installing it now,
> but I can't seem to find the manual. Does anyone know where I can find a
> softcopy of it? I want to start playing it again (especially if all the old
> bugs are gone) but I really don't remember how to play....

Well it has a tutorial which is, i.i.r.c., quite sufficient to start
playing. Don't think I got very much out of the manual at all.
There is also a quickstart.pdf file on the CD (think it may get
installed into the game directory as well).

cheers, -Peter

In article <L7ydnUTe68gwrODfRVn-1g@giganews.com>, wlambrukos@comcast.net
says...
> Is it basically the same game that was originally released? Loved the
> Commodore 64 version, hated the PC version.
>
> Bill

No, it is a totally different game, really. I bought it, with great
difficulty, and was VERY disappointed at the time ... about as much of a
letdown as MOO3 i.m.o.

I am sure you should still be able to find the demo somewhere on the
'net.

I will give it another try-out with the 1.4 patch, but I am trying not
to get my expectaitons screwed up too high :)

-Peter

In article <1115478028.213044.313460@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
ewoh27@aol.com says...
> Okay, I got it working. I had to install from the CD, then install the
> 1.2 patch that I had hanging around from years ago, and then install
> the 1.4 patch on top of that. I've successfully played through several
> turns of a random map game with no problems, and the startup screen
> confirms that it's version 1.4. If this is what I had to do, I think
> Matrix should have let us know. And how many of us are going to have
> the old 1.2 patch, anyway?
>
> On the other hand, it sure is good of them to provide a free update to
> an old game!

As I a typing this I am re-downloading the patch from ssg.com.au -
Adrenaline Vault had a link to it. Google also showed Magagames as
having the patch and downloads.gameplanet.co.nz

Thanks for publishing your solution.

-P.

"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
> In article <sc2dnUvNubeHiuHfRVn-qw@comcast.com>,
> ahorta@spamdie.comcast.net says...
>> Hello all!
>>
>> If you hadn't heard, SSG has re-released Reach for the Stars through
>> Matrix
>> games. If you owned the original SSI release, there is a new patch (v
>> 1.40)
>> that will bring your game up to the new version.
>
> Have you been able to get it to work? I also reinstalled the game and
> applied the patch, but when I try to start a game I get an error
> (reading past the end of resource.dat or s.th. very similar) followed by
> a crash to desktop. <sigh> Happens on random map, happens on tutorial or
> scenario as well.

Matrix realized that there was a problem and released a patch 1.40 b that
should fix the problem....

> As I a typing this I am re-downloading the patch from ssg.com.au -
> Adrenaline Vault had a link to it. Google also showed Magagames as
> having the patch and downloads.gameplanet.co.nz

If anyone tries the 1.4 patch multi over tcp/ip, and the game
doesn't simply CTD after a number of moves, please post.
RFTS had some definite MP potential but it was unplayable due
to the crash bugs.

Thanks!

Gordon

--
Have modem, will travel!

On Fri, 6 May 2005 21:17:23 -0400, "Arnaldo Horta"
<ahorta@spamdie.comcast.net> wrote:

>Hello all!
>
>If you hadn't heard, SSG has re-released Reach for the Stars through Matrix
>games. If you owned the original SSI release, there is a new patch (v 1.40)
>that will bring your game up to the new version.
>
>Now for the question...I have the original game and am installing it now,
>but I can't seem to find the manual. Does anyone know where I can find a
>softcopy of it? I want to start playing it again (especially if all the old
>bugs are gone) but I really don't remember how to play....
>

>Thanks in advance!
>

>Arnie "Diarmud" Horta

Emailed you the manual in pdf. Did you get it? If not, I'll try
again, not through my news reader.

Gary

In article <W_WdndfbXPQIyOPfRVn-qg@comcast.com>,
ahorta@spamdie.comcast.net says...

> Matrix realized that there was a problem and released a patch 1.40 b that
> should fix the problem....

They may have to release 1.40 c some time. First, they broke the
tutorial (It loads a scenarion from the campaign now, I think),
second, out of 4 random maps I played so far I had one unexpected crash
to desktop, one solid lockup (fortunately I could ctrl-alt-del out of
it) and two games finished.

Gosh, isn't it frustrating if you can't find a colonizable planet until
you have researched tech-level 6 or higher because you can't find
anything your race can settle on within your limited range. Of course
you are toast in this game if/when that happens, unlike f'r instance MOO
where you can often come from way behind by diplomacy. Galciv offers the
solution of building starbases to extend range ...

> second, out of 4 random maps I played so far I had one unexpected
> crash to desktop, one solid lockup (fortunately I could ctrl-alt-del
> out of it) and two games finished.

In its day (which wasn't very long), it was known as "Reach For
Ctrl-Alt-Delete". :p

> Gosh, isn't it frustrating if you can't find a colonizable planet
> until you have researched tech-level 6 or higher because you can't
> find anything your race can settle on within your limited range.

Yeah.. that can be tough. I generally play the Sprnadoi, which
feels like cheating.

> Galciv offers the solution of building starbases to extend range ...

Ooh, GalCiv.. far superior to RFTS in almost every way. Love
that game.

Cheers,

Gordon

--
Have modem, will travel!

Played many turns of a random-map 1.40c patch game last night with no
crashes or other issues. I found it quite enjoyable.

Could I possibly get a copy of the manual too? The manual folder only has
the origin application form from the 1.41 patch