what kind of sonogram are u using for detecting fundamenta..

Last response: in Home Audio
March 8, 2005 10:40:09 PM

I am using sonogram in Soundforge
when I using normal display mode, it can be easily zoomed in and out,
therefore I can watch out it detailly. in addition, the prominent
frequency and musical note is diplayed
but when I using sonogram, I can't zoomed in and out , therefore I
can't watch out it detailly. and can't know the fundamental
frequency..

what kind of sonogram are u using for detecting fundamental
frequency..

p.s sure, even I can find fundamental frequency by normal display. but
it is said that most people use sonogram more for it than normal
display mode
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 10:49:37 AM

"bluesjeon" <bluesjeon@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am using sonogram in Soundforge
> when I using normal display mode, it can be easily zoomed in and out,
> therefore I can watch out it detailly. in addition, the prominent
> frequency and musical note is diplayed
> but when I using sonogram, I can't zoomed in and out , therefore I
> can't watch out it detailly. and can't know the fundamental
> frequency..
>
> what kind of sonogram are u using for detecting fundamental
> frequency..
>
> p.s sure, even I can find fundamental frequency by normal display. but
> it is said that most people use sonogram more for it than normal
> display mode

Having spent alot of time looking at realtime FFT spectra for various
musical instruments, I can attest that it can be difficult to discern the
fundamental frequency using this approach. This is a consequence of many
factors, including how much harmonic content there is in a particular
musical instrument relative to fundamental content. Additionally, the
sampling chain is important as well. However, it should be possible using a
realtime FFT analyzer, many of which are available as freeware downloads for
PC and Mac. I think the advantage of a realtime analyzer vs. built-in
software in SF is that you can actually see each band "moving" and get a
sense of where the fundamental might lie. It'll take some practice, but it
should be doable.

Craig
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:36:50 AM

"bluesjeon" <bluesjeon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I am using sonogram in Soundforge
> when I using normal display mode, it can be easily zoomed in and out,
> therefore I can watch out it detailly. in addition, the prominent
> frequency and musical note is diplayed
> but when I using sonogram, I can't zoomed in and out , therefore I
> can't watch out it detailly. and can't know the fundamental
> frequency..
>
> what kind of sonogram are u using for detecting fundamental
> frequency..
>
> p.s sure, even I can find fundamental frequency by normal display. but
> it is said that most people use sonogram more for it than normal
> display mode

If I really need to do a sonogram, I use the one in CoolEdit/Audition. If I
just need to know a pitch, though, I reach over and grab my Baby Taylor
guitar.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:36:25 PM

bluesjeon <bluesjeon@gmail.com> wrote:
>I am using sonogram in Soundforge
>when I using normal display mode, it can be easily zoomed in and out,
>therefore I can watch out it detailly. in addition, the prominent
>frequency and musical note is diplayed
>but when I using sonogram, I can't zoomed in and out , therefore I
>can't watch out it detailly. and can't know the fundamental
>frequency..
>
>what kind of sonogram are u using for detecting fundamental
>frequency..
>
>p.s sure, even I can find fundamental frequency by normal display. but
>it is said that most people use sonogram more for it than normal
>display mode

Why not use your ears?

At worst you can use a parametric filter. Set it for a really high Q,
and to boost. Sweep it back and forth... you'll know it when you hear
the fundamental and each of the major harmonics. Read off the number on
the filter and there is your frequency.

90% of it you can do by ear, though, just with good relative pitch.
--scott