CMX3200 LL Memory way under regular benchmarks

AzagXul

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hi,
I recently bought a Athlon XP 2400+, MSI Nforce2 (not the ISLR or whatever it is) motherboard, with CMX3200 LL Memory ram (link: http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/products/specs/cmx512-3200ll.pdf )
60 gig maxtor hd drive..

I did the memory benchmark on SiSoftware's Sandra, and these are the results:

SiSoftware Sandra

Int Buff aEMMX/aSSE (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 1858MB/s
Scaling : 1852MB/s
Addition : 1802MB/s
Triad : 1820MB/s
Data Item Size : 8-bytes
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes

Float Buff aEMMX/aSSE (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 1852MB/s
Scaling : 1786MB/s
Addition : 1713MB/s
Triad : 1691MB/s
Data Item Size : 8-bytes
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes

Test Status
Memory Used by Test : 224MB
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 1
SMT Test : No
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : No

Chipset
Model : Nvidia Corp nForce2 AGP Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 133MHz (266MHz data rate)
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 2128MB/s (estimated)

Features
MMX Technology : Yes
SSE Technology : Yes
SSE2 Technology : No
SSE3 Technology : No
HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : No
EMMX - Extended MMX Technology : Yes

From what I've seen and read concerning this same ram, my ram seems to be doing well under what they are capable of?
Could this be that I'm using the onboard VGA? I have them on dual channel...
Any insight would be appreciated, thank you

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
from the look of your benchmarks you are not running them in dual mode. Check the slots and your bios settings. Are the modules matched? if not do they have the same timings written on them? Try using the other pair of dimm slots...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

AzagXul

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I am running them in dual most, I have one (i don't know the technical terms, sorry) in the green slot, and one in the purple. I'll try switching them and see how that goes..
as far as bios settings go, what should the settings be? apparently I have them at 200mhz, and 2-2-5 cas 2 settings..
they are matched modules. I purchased the corsair 512 (2x256) twin Low Latency xms series, and dual channel is what they were specifically designed for. I'm going to try a couple more things, such as, use an old video card (stop using the onboard video) and see how that affects things, and I'll switch around the ram sticks to different slots and see how that goes.. any other suggestions?

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
you answered your own question with your specs, you are running pc 3200 ram which is meant for 400 mHz bus speeds, and you are limiting your modules to 266 mHz. So you are limiting your ram score by approximately 30%. So your score is approximately on target, as I have the same ram modules as yourself and your scores are only slightly lower then mine.

So, that being said, since your asking here, I am assuming you are looking to up your memory scores or bandwidth. You have two options.

1 - Your processor is one the best best regarded processors for overclocknig.... so.. jack up your FSB and enjoy.

2 - buy a 333 mHz FSB cpu.

Switching to an add on vga card will not change or affect memory bandwidth. Also its advisable to run synchronous fsb concerning your ram and cpu. It's been shownrunning asynchronous harms performance. So jacking your ram up to 200 mHz is actually harming you most likely.

Rob

<b>The pentium 2 I once adored is dead! Long live my barton savagely ripping 1561 fps in soldier of fortune!!! :)</b>