Security

I've read that Sprint voice is very secure - possibility of eavesdropping
practically non-existant.
Can the same be said for the data connection while on the internet?

Jeff Nicholas wrote:
> I've read that Sprint voice is very secure - possibility of eavesdropping
> practically non-existant.
> Can the same be said for the data connection while on the internet?

You should ALWAYS assume your data connections to the Internet are NOT secured
NO MATTER what you're using to access the Net -- PC, phone, whatever.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:18:51 -0500, Jeff Nicholas wrote:

> I've read that Sprint voice is very secure - possibility of eavesdropping
> practically non-existant.
> Can the same be said for the data connection while on the internet?

First off the topic of eavesdropping had to do with the radio-link
protocol which is cdma. The same design that make voice over cdma hard
to listen in on also applies to everything else that gets sent over cdma,
including your data connections. With that being said, and assuming when
you say "while on the Internet" you mean while using sprintpcs to connect
to the Internet. I would have to say that you should look at the
transparent proxy sprintpcs has setup to re-compress all HTTP images as an
example of being able to eavesdrop on connections. Sure it is their
network, their proxy but nothing other then ethics and good business
practices stops them from setting up other methods to monitor your
internet traffic on their network or for any isp,regional/national
authority figures,spy-ware,etc.. to monitor your connections on sprintpcs
internal network or other networks around the world.

Simply put it is, like voice over cdma, a waste of time and resources to
sniff out over the air your data connection when there are better places
to tap into for it. Like all Internet traffic assume you are being
watched,monitored,or recorded and anything you rather keep secret or
protected use what ever form of encryption you deem needed.

Jeff Nicholas wrote:
> I've read that Sprint voice is very secure - possibility of eavesdropping
> practically non-existant.
> Can the same be said for the data connection while on the internet?

It would be impractical and difficult for someone to eavesdrop over the
radio link portion of the connection. But once your data session hits
the leg of its journey where it runs over standard network
infrastructure, it is just as insecure as everyone else's data.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.