Security

I've read that Sprint voice is very secure - possibility of eavesdropping
practically non-existant.
Can the same be said for the data connection while on the internet?
3 answers Last reply
More about security

    Jeff Nicholas wrote:
    > I've read that Sprint voice is very secure - possibility of eavesdropping
    > practically non-existant.
    > Can the same be said for the data connection while on the internet?

    You should ALWAYS assume your data connections to the Internet are NOT secured
    NO MATTER what you're using to access the Net -- PC, phone, whatever.

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:18:51 -0500, Jeff Nicholas wrote:

    > I've read that Sprint voice is very secure - possibility of eavesdropping
    > practically non-existant.
    > Can the same be said for the data connection while on the internet?

    First off the topic of eavesdropping had to do with the radio-link
    protocol which is cdma. The same design that make voice over cdma hard
    to listen in on also applies to everything else that gets sent over cdma,
    including your data connections. With that being said, and assuming when
    you say "while on the Internet" you mean while using sprintpcs to connect
    to the Internet. I would have to say that you should look at the
    transparent proxy sprintpcs has setup to re-compress all HTTP images as an
    example of being able to eavesdrop on connections. Sure it is their
    network, their proxy but nothing other then ethics and good business
    practices stops them from setting up other methods to monitor your
    internet traffic on their network or for any isp,regional/national
    authority figures,spy-ware,etc.. to monitor your connections on sprintpcs
    internal network or other networks around the world.

    Simply put it is, like voice over cdma, a waste of time and resources to
    sniff out over the air your data connection when there are better places
    to tap into for it. Like all Internet traffic assume you are being
    watched,monitored,or recorded and anything you rather keep secret or
    protected use what ever form of encryption you deem needed.

    Jeff Nicholas wrote:
    > I've read that Sprint voice is very secure - possibility of eavesdropping
    > practically non-existant.
    > Can the same be said for the data connection while on the internet?

    It would be impractical and difficult for someone to eavesdrop over the
    radio link portion of the connection. But once your data session hits
    the leg of its journey where it runs over standard network
    infrastructure, it is just as insecure as everyone else's data.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Sprint PCS Security Connection Internet Internet Service Providers