Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Trouble with Sprint reprsentatives

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 1:27:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I've been with Sprint for four years. During that time I have spoken with plenty of Sprint representatives and many have misrepresented important details of Sprint's plans. For example, the last contract I agreed to, the retention "specialist" told me that Vision would be included on all four of my Sprint phones. I had already learned to be wary of Sprint reps, so I was very very clear about the terms of this year long commitment. The rep assured me that he was correct on every detail. A couple of months later I noticed charges for Vision usage on one of my children's phones. I called Sprint and I was informed that only the primary phone had Vision and the other phones did not. I was told the retention rep had been mistaken about my plan. There had been a plan that offered Vision on all phones, but had been discontinued shortly before I agreed to a contract. It was most likely an honest mistake on the rep's part However, Sprint said there was nothing I could do about it, except write a letter to their corporate office in London Kentucky. I did type out a detailed letter and my letter was never answered, not even acknowledged. I didn't feel like taking chances with my credit fighting early termination fees, etc. so I let it slide.

It's now been over a year since my last contract expired and I have recently I've been thinking about getting new phones that are with or without Sprint service. I've spoken with three retention specialists over the last week and they have offered me a "retention plan". However, each rep has contradicted the other on major points of this plan. For example, the first rep assured me my extra phones would be continue to cost an extra $10/month, the second rep said he was incorrect and it was $20/line and the third rep said $10 but later changed her mind and said $20/line with the first line free. The first two reps said they would make notes on my account and any retention rep could read these notes and offer me the same plan. The last two reps said there were no notes on my account from the previous rep(s). The third rep assured me that she had placed notes on my account and I asked her to read them back to me. She read that the first service line will be free. I said you mean the SECOND line will be free. She said she meant the first additional line. But, that's not what she wrote, so I wonder what the next rep will think. My current plan cost $10/phone INCLUDING my first (primary) phone.

I don't know who to believe and it's a shame (or sham) that Sprint doesn't put their contracts in writing. I'd like to stay with Sprint and I just want to be able to agree to a plan that I actually get. I don't think that's too much to ask. I've considered recording my conversation with the rep(as proof), but I don't want a hassle later, even if I do have a taped recording of my conversation. Sprint's likely to just say the rep was mistaken and it's MY PROBLEM. A court would disagree, but I don't have time(or money) for that and I'm sure Sprint knows it.

I'm looking at possibly going with a two year commitment on FIVE phones. That's a big commitment and I don't want to get screwed again. I know I'll have two weeks to cancel, but I won't know if the rep misled me until I get my first bill which will be well after the two week cancellation period. Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps I need to ask for a supervisor, but will he/she know any more? The retention rep I spoke with tonight could not answer several basic questions and she often contradicted herself. I did not feel comfortable agreeing to a commitment with her. Based on my conversation this evening, I suspect the least knowledgeable reps must work nights and weekends. I think I'll try again on Monday morning.

BTW- In Sprint's defense, I do want to say that all of the Sprint reps I've spoken with are friendly and polite and they do try to help. I feel sure they are probably not intentionally misleading customers. The plans change frequently and it must be hard to keep up. I understand this, but I have to wonder if the higher-ups at Sprint use this to their advantage. The computer will override what the rep says, if the rep is wrong, so the customer doesn't ever benefit from the reps mistakes, but Sprint does.

Steve Smith
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 7:50:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <aUOud.5336$Mp4.389@lakeread07>, Steve
Smiths.w.smithREMOVECAPS@ctliving.net says...

> BTW- In Sprint's defense, I do want to say that
> all of the Sprint reps I've spoken with are
> friendly and polite and they do try to help.
> I feel sure they are probably not intentionally
> misleading customers. The plans change frequently
> and it must be hard to keep up. I understand this,
> but I have to wonder if the higher-ups at Sprint
> use this to their advantage. The computer will
> override what the rep says, if the rep is wrong,
> so the customer doesn't ever benefit from the
> reps mistakes, but Sprint does.
>

I'm happy to hear that, at least, they remained
professional with you.

Retention, when I worked there, was a tough job to define.
It was the job of a retention rep to find his or her way
"outside the box" in order to take care of our most
valuable customers. At my call center, retention reps
ceased to be *only* retention and became what was called
"Gold" reps. So we didn't just handle cancellation
threats. Our most profitable customers came that way, too.
And these reps were encouraged to find any way the system
would allow us to go in order to please those customers.

In actuality, for about the last three months I was there,
I transferred from Vision tech support to "Business Gold".
I was one of these reps. And there were ways to find $10
Add-a-phone bill codes, and ways to make the first
additional sub free, as well. but we had to be willing to
dig, and to traverse our way through the maze of bill codes
and requirements for what code could go where.

I'd like to think SPCS still has that department. Even if
so, you have to find your way to a rep who has the
imagination and the determination to find those options,
and you have to be willing to take the offer when it comes.

--
RØß
O/Siris
-+-
**A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.**
-Thomas Paine. The Rights of Man. 1792-
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:43:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

You want "to agree to a plan that I (can) actually get". Look on their
web site or at a current brochure from a corporate store.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:43:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> You want "to agree to a plan that I (can) actually get". Look on their
> web site or at a current brochure from a corporate store.

Sprint is offering me a special retention plan designed to entice me to stay with them. Retention plans are usually better deals offered only to current Sprint customers who are no longer under a contract. These plans are NOT offered in brochures or at my local "express" Sprint store. The plans are offered verbally by Sprint "retention specialists". The customer has no written confirmation of the offer and if the rep is mistaken, the customer gets the short end of the deal. Sprint expects the customer to stay in the contract even if they didn't get the plan as it was represented by the retention rep. They'll just say sorry, that other rep was mistaken, but your still committed to stay in a contract and you are stuck with the less advantageous terms. Sprint does not hold itself accountable to give you what the rep promises. It's hard to believe that a huge corporation does business like this now a days. I'm surprised more people haven't complained to the proper authorities. I know my experiences have not been unique.

Here are some more details about my situation. I've been with Sprint since 2000 and I currently have four sprint phones sharing 2000 anytime minutes on the Sprint Free and Clean America plan with unlimited Vision. This plan cost me $110 plus $10 for each extra phone line. I also currently pay $5.00 for PCS to PCS and $5.00 for Vision on a second phone. The "America" part of the plan gives me 100 roaming minutes to share among all four of my phones. As part of a prior retention deal, I also get 50 free roaming minutes PER phone and a 5% service discount. My last contract expired over a year ago. I now want to add a fifth phone to my account.

The first retention rep I spoke with offered me my EXACT SAME PLAN, BUT with an EXTRA 500 minutes(2500 total), FREE minutes starting at 7:00PM(with 2 year contract only) and free phones for all five lines. With a one year contract, my free evening minutes would start at 8:00PM.(they now start at 9:00PM) He also said that I would only be committed to keep ONLY ONE line for the duration of the one or two year contract. He specifically said there would be no termination fees if I were to cancel any of my extra lines. I stressed this accuracy of this point because I'm very concerned about a commitment on FIVE lines. He also assured me that I would keep the 5% discount and extra 50 roaming minutes and my monthly bill would not change except for the new fifth line would be just $10(same as my other extra lines). He also said the 100 roaming minutes that I now share would be bundled with EACH phone and each phone would get a total of 150 minutes. This gives me 400 extra roaming minutes! This plan sounded really good, but I wanted to think about this. The rep assured me that his offer was notated on my account and I would be able to accept that offer from any rep when I called back.

I called back, prepared to accept the plan the first rep offered and the second retention popped my bubble. He told me the first rep was completely incorrect. He said the Sprint system would not have accepted it even if I had decided to take it. He said my extra phone lines would be $20/line and ALL FIVE LINES would be under contract. The rep also said I would loose the 50 minutes of roaming per phone line and I would loose the 5% discount. He also said the 100 roaming minutes I get from the "America" part of the plan (for $10 extra) would be SHARED minutes, not per phone minutes. But, to keep me as a customer, he would give me a special retention offer he could give me the extra 500 minutes and the second line would be free. BTW-The free second line is the same deal offered on the website for Free and Clear plans at 2000+ minutes, so it's nothing specific to retention plans. The rep denied this was the case even though I was looking at it on the website as I spoke with him. He said he had been with Sprint for 6 years and anything different that any other rep tells me will be incorrect. This guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about and I believed him. I certainly wasn't prepared to be obligated to five lines and the deal didn't sound that great anymore so I told him I'd think about it and he assured me my account had been notated.

Fed up with Sprint's misrepresentations and their lack for standing behind what they represent, I decided to hell with them. It's too much of a hassle to deal with them. I called back and simply told a third retention rep that I wanted to cancel my account. I was not bluffing, but I did expect the rep to make me some kind of retention offer and I was interested in what that offer would be. To my surprise she didn't make me an offer and she immediately proceeded to cancel my phone lines. I explained that I did not want this to take effect until the end of my current billing cycle since I had already paid for this cycle. She "expired" two lines and was working on the third when I explained to her that I would have stayed with Sprint if I could have gotten the retention deal the first rep offered me. She then said she would see what she could do. Over the next hour she tried to put a plan together but she contradicted herself over and over again. First she said I could get the $10/extra line, then she later said I couldn't(the system wouldn't accept it). She did not know if I would be eligible for the web special on new phones. She did not know if I could get my phone numbers back if I only renewed two lines and purchased the other three lines and phones on the web. She said my four year old Samsung G2 phone would not be eligible for an upgrade until January 1, 2005 and there was nothing she could do about that even though I had used this phone on this account for over four years. Apparently this phone isn't eligible for the upgrade because I changed the phone number on that phone 17 1/2 months ago and that put a kink in the system(which is too stupid to know it was not a new phone at that time). She specifically said I would get 150 roaming minutes PER PHONE and then she later changed her mind and said the 100 "America" minutes would be shared(not per phone), but I would get the fifty roaming minutes per phone. There were several other inconsistencies in what she told me and she clearly did not know very much about Sprint plans. I don't know how she got a job as a retention specialist. She was polite and tried hard to help me but she clearly was not interested in weather or not Sprint retained me as a customer. She did tell me I would continue to get the 5% discount.

She said her phone ordering system was down and she was unable to order any new phone for me. I asked her if would I get the extra 50 roaming minutes and 5% discount on the third, fourth and fifth phones lines if I took advantage of the "Web Specials" and purchased my extra lines with the phones offered at http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories/All... if I were to renew my contract with just two lines now(second line is free) with her on the retention plan. She assured me I would still get the 50 roaming minutes and 5% discount on these extra lines. If for some reason my bill didn't reflect this, I could call back and Sprint would see that she offered me this and make the adjustment. I just didn't believe her and I don't want to get stuck and have another rep tell me next month that the last rep was mistaken and there's nothing they or I can do about it. Tired, frustrated and confused, I told her not to do anything to my account for now.

My morning newspaper had a big Sprint ad that gives anytime minutes starting at 5PM and a free Sanyo PM-8200. I going to see what's that all about and see if the store can offer any assistance. I know they are unable to offer retention plans, but maybe they have something even better. But, I'll also be checking out the competition. I'm tiring of Sprint. I'm in eastern North Carolina and Sprint's coverage is spotty and often non existent here(see http://activate.sprintpcs.com/maps/mkt/large/RockyMount...) so I'm sure it will be wise for me to take a good look at the competition.
I've been a good customer and I just want to know exactly what Sprint can offer me so I can make an informed decision. I'm not trying to beat them into any supper retention deal. I'm just listening to what they have to offer and their offer keeps changing before I can make up my mind.

Steve Smith
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:43:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Steve Smith wrote:
>
> <snip>

"I'm in eastern North Carolina and Sprint's coverage is spotty
and often non existent here..."

While I completely understand your frustration, if coverage is
as bad as you say, why even bother? Why aren't you looking for
another carrier, regardless of what Retention can offer?

Notan
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 4:07:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Notan" wrote:
> ... if coverage is as bad as you say, why
> even bother? Why aren't you looking for
> another carrier, regardless of what Retention can offer?

Several times a year I travel to different parts of the county and in these areas Sprint's coverage is pretty good. My city is fairly well covered but there are plenty of dead spots and the included roaming minutes help to fill in these voids. In the summer I spend several weekends at a vacation home near Bath, NC and Sprint's coverage stops 30 miles west, in Washington, NC. I use the roaming minutes while I'm there also.

The best coverage in my area is offered from Alltel and US Cellular. I will be looking at what they have to offer, but I doubt it will be as good of a deal as what I "might" be able to get with a retention plan from Sprint. I've grown accustomed to Sprint and I've learned to live with their spotty local coverage, but I will certainly be seriously considering Alltel and US Cellular.

Steve Smith
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 9:50:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

And I am telling you that if you do not want to contend with the
vagaries of plans that are "made up on the spot" by someone on the
phone, because they are not "written down", then go with plans that
*are* written down on Sprint PCS' web site or on current brochures in
the corporate Sprint PCS stores.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 1:05:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Steve Smith wrote:
> I don't know who to believe and it's a shame (or sham) that Sprint
> doesn't put their contracts in writing. I'd like to stay with Sprint
> and I just want to be able to agree to a plan that I actually get. I
> don't think that's too much to ask. I've considered recording my
> conversation with the rep(as proof), but I don't want a hassle later,
> even if I do have a taped recording of my conversation. Sprint's
> likely to just say the rep was mistaken and it's MY PROBLEM. A court
> would disagree, but I don't have time(or money) for that and I'm sure
> Sprint knows it.

I was criticized on another thread,
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.cellular.sprint...;,
for my "spouting of old problems, as if they were current problems, and
which no longer apply now," in Bob Smith's words. It appears that my
complaints, at least my complaints about inconsistent customer service
reps, are just as timely today as they were when I left Sprint.


Don Doumakes
Email: doumakes at loganet dot net
Do not email spamtrap@pinko.net
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:14:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Don Doumakes wrote:
> for my "spouting of old problems, as if they were current problems, and
> which no longer apply now," in Bob Smith's words. It appears that my
> complaints, at least my complaints about inconsistent customer service
> reps, are just as timely today as they were when I left Sprint.

Sorry, Bob - while I'm generally happy with Sprint, I must chime in in support
of Don here. They have vastly improved CS, but the support experience is still,
IMHO, somewhat uneven. They do still have a lot of work to do, although they
are no longer at the point they were at a few years ago.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:40:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:YYavd.9778$0r.6904@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> And I am telling you that if you do not want to contend with the
> vagaries of plans that are "made up on the spot" by someone on the
> phone, because they are not "written down", then go with plans that
> *are* written down on Sprint PCS' web site or on current brochures in
> the corporate Sprint PCS stores.

So give up on attempting to get any Retention plan?
The real solution is for Sprint's retention specialists to have
standardized offers, and to repeat their verbal offer in an email
to the customer. The haphazard way it is done now is a disgrace.

--
John Richards
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:32:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
news:cpkt22$1jq$2@ratbert.glorb.com...
> Don Doumakes wrote:
> > for my "spouting of old problems, as if they were current problems, and
> > which no longer apply now," in Bob Smith's words. It appears that my
> > complaints, at least my complaints about inconsistent customer service
> > reps, are just as timely today as they were when I left Sprint.
>
> Sorry, Bob - while I'm generally happy with Sprint, I must chime in in
support
> of Don here. They have vastly improved CS, but the support experience is
still,
> IMHO, somewhat uneven. They do still have a lot of work to do, although
they
> are no longer at the point they were at a few years ago.

No reason to apologize there Steve. I got on Don's post, because he was
quoting a lawsuit & settlement, that had absolutely no bearing on SPCS.

Bob
December 14, 2004 3:42:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Don Doumakes wrote:
> Steve Smith wrote:
>
>>I don't know who to believe and it's a shame (or sham) that Sprint
>>doesn't put their contracts in writing. I'd like to stay with Sprint
>>and I just want to be able to agree to a plan that I actually get. I
>>don't think that's too much to ask. I've considered recording my
>>conversation with the rep(as proof), but I don't want a hassle later,
>>even if I do have a taped recording of my conversation. Sprint's
>>likely to just say the rep was mistaken and it's MY PROBLEM. A court
>>would disagree, but I don't have time(or money) for that and I'm sure
>>Sprint knows it.
>
>
> I was criticized on another thread,
> <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.cellular.sprint...;,
> for my "spouting of old problems, as if they were current problems, and
> which no longer apply now," in Bob Smith's words. It appears that my
> complaints, at least my complaints about inconsistent customer service
> reps, are just as timely today as they were when I left Sprint.
>
>
> Don Doumakes
> Email: doumakes at loganet dot net
> Do not email spamtrap@pinko.net
>
yes they are :)  very much so.. Bob is a close closet Sprint Worker. He
just can't admit his sexuality....errr.. I mean functionality in this
forum yet.

But I do love to pump you for information, don't I Bob?
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:54:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <fukvd.32150$Rf1.18210
@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>, John Richardsjr70
@blackhole.invalid says...
> So give up on attempting to get any Retention plan?
> The real solution is for Sprint's retention specialists to have
> standardized offers, and to repeat their verbal offer in an email
> to the customer. The haphazard way it is done now is a disgrace.
>

That isn't what Thomas said. What is so confusing to
people to about "if"? If (see that if? It's conditional,
not blanket) you don't want the confusion of non-standard
plans, don't seek them out. There's a set of base plans
available for those who'd rather not.

--
RØß
O/Siris
-+-
**A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.**
-Thomas Paine. The Rights of Man. 1792-
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:00:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <1102961128.537651.78440
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Don
Doumakesspamtrap@pinko.net says...
> for my "spouting of old problems, as if they were current problems, and
> which no longer apply now," in Bob Smith's words.
>

The cases you cited *don't* apply. As I recall, one of
them wasn't even about wireless.

--
RØß
O/Siris
-+-
**A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.**
-Thomas Paine. The Rights of Man. 1792-
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:27:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"O/Siris" <0sîrîs@sprîntpcs.côm> wrote in message news:MPG.1c282df65c723acd989a85@netnews.comcast.net...
In article <fukvd.32150$Rf1.18210
@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>, John Richardsjr70
@blackhole.invalid says...
> So give up on attempting to get any Retention plan?
> The real solution is for Sprint's retention specialists to have
> standardized offers, and to repeat their verbal offer in an email
> to the customer. The haphazard way it is done now is a disgrace.
>

> That isn't what Thomas said. What is so confusing to
people to about "if"? If (see that if? It's conditional,
not blanket) you don't want the confusion of non-standard
plans, don't seek them out. There's a set of base plans
available for those who'd rather not. <

I was suggesting an alternative (ultimate) solution to the same
problem to which Thomas offered a solution. Those who take
Thomas' solution give up the advantage of getting a retention
plan. The current confusion of non-standard retention plans
can be solved if they're standardized and made in writing.

--
John Richards
December 14, 2004 6:27:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

John Richards wrote:
> "O/Siris" <0sîrîs@sprîntpcs.côm> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1c282df65c723acd989a85@netnews.comcast.net... In article
> <fukvd.32150$Rf1.18210 @newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>, John Richardsjr70
> @blackhole.invalid says...
>> So give up on attempting to get any Retention plan?
>> The real solution is for Sprint's retention specialists to have
>> standardized offers, and to repeat their verbal offer in an email
>> to the customer. The haphazard way it is done now is a disgrace.
>>
>
>> That isn't what Thomas said. What is so confusing to
> people to about "if"? If (see that if? It's conditional,
> not blanket) you don't want the confusion of non-standard
> plans, don't seek them out. There's a set of base plans
> available for those who'd rather not. <
>
> I was suggesting an alternative (ultimate) solution to the same
> problem to which Thomas offered a solution. Those who take
> Thomas' solution give up the advantage of getting a retention
> plan. The current confusion of non-standard retention plans
> can be solved if they're standardized and made in writing.

I agree with you. To suggest someone "pay list price" is IMO a mistake.
That's like telling someone to pay MSRP for a car, just to avoid
negotiating to get a better deal.

I, for one, would certainly not agree to a contract extension if offered
"rack rates." And if offered a typical retention deal I'd probably
cancel on the spot, at worst, or be insulted, at best, if I was told
that if I wanted the specifics in writing I'd need to pay the standard
rates.

We should not have to play roulette, verify changes fourteen times,
record the call, etc., when modifying plans. It wastes everyone's time,
including Sprint's, and (somewhat) negates the benefit of getting a
retention deal in the first place. I'd feel a heck of a lot better if I
received a quick email outlining the deal, before agreeing to an
extension.

Ironically, I just went through this a few months ago. My contract was
up, and I wanted to also buy a few new phones. Since the phones were all
over 18 months, a CSR noted the account so I could receive instant
rebates at a SPCS store. But the local store refuse to honor it, and
were selling phones way above the normal prices anyway.

A second CSR offered me a plethora of incentives if I agreed to another
two years. Part of this was an instant $300 credit to my bill, to avoid
having to go through a rebate--without resetting the "clock" on rebates
(i.e., I could turn around and buy a couple of new phones immediately,
and get the rebate). All the changes were to enhance my plan, not take
anything away (no charge for Vision for all phones, etc.). I spent a
good 40-minutes on the phone with this CSR.

To make a long story short, the only thing that actually occurred was
the $300 credit. None of the extra minutes, etc., were on my plan. My
contract was not extended either. Since I never went over my minute
allotment anyway, I figured I'd just let it go. I really didn't want to
risk calling again, not knowing what the heck might happen during round
three.

So, as others have noted, the mistakes aren't always directly in
Sprint's favor, nor intentional. But they still happen, and a written
verification via email would at least provide some sort of corroborating
evidence as to what happened. It has to be better than hearing, "I'm
sorry, I don't see anything about that on your file..."


--
Mike
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:50:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Notan wrote:
> Steve Smith wrote:
>
>><snip>
>
>
> "I'm in eastern North Carolina and Sprint's coverage is spotty
> and often non existent here..."
>
> While I completely understand your frustration, if coverage is
> as bad as you say, why even bother?


Exactly what I've been saying to trolls like this for years. They bitch
about spotty reception and then call retention to see how many extra
minutes they can get. What good are extra minutes if you can't use them?


--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:52:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Steve Smith wrote:
> "Notan" wrote:
>
>>... if coverage is as bad as you say, why
>>even bother? Why aren't you looking for
>>another carrier, regardless of what Retention can offer?
>
>
> Several times a year I travel to different parts of the county and in these areas Sprint's coverage is pretty good.

Irrelevant. Coverage from other carriers is "pretty good" too. It's
not as if Sprint isn't the only game in town and, if what you say is
true, then the impetus should be for you to find a carrier that covers
you well at home AND when you travel.

Clearly the motivation is not there. Or perhaps what you allege isn't
actually true?




--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:53:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

John Richards wrote:
> "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:YYavd.9778$0r.6904@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> So give up on attempting to get any Retention plan?

If you object to how Retention works, yes, absolutely. Better yet, go
with a company that better suits you.



--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 7:26:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

As I have said before, I think that the only roll of a retention
department, if there is a separate one, is to help a customer who is
unhappy with his plan to find from the current list of plans posted on
the web and printed in the brochures, the one that best meets his
calling patterns and calling volume. In other words, there should be no
unpublished or "made up on the fly" plans. And I don't mean just Sprint
PCS. I mean all wireless companies.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 8:00:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:02Pvd.11465$0r.4207@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> As I have said before, I think that the only roll of a retention
> department, if there is a separate one, is to help a customer who is
> unhappy with his plan to find from the current list of plans posted on
> the web and printed in the brochures, the one that best meets his
> calling patterns and calling volume. In other words, there should be no
> unpublished or "made up on the fly" plans. And I don't mean just Sprint
> PCS. I mean all wireless companies.

Unless all wireless companies adopted this simultaneously (can you say
"collusion"), the non-adopters would have a big advantage. The
purpose of rewarding loyal customers with retention plans is to reduce
expensive churn.

--
John Richards
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:52:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <328hikF3jtu7eU1@individual.net>,
Tinmanmlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net says...
> I agree with you. To suggest someone "pay list price" is IMO a mistake.
> That's like telling someone to pay MSRP for a car, just to avoid
> negotiating to get a better deal.
>

That's not a valid analogy. It turns out I was wrong to
credit the point to Thomas. However, the point being made
was, if you don't want to hunt for non-standard deals, then
don't. If you don't want the "hassle", then don't aim for
it.

If you don't want the hassle of negotiating, pay MSRP.
That's not a demand, but a conditional offer of advice.

--
RØß
O/Siris
-+-
**A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.**
-Thomas Paine. The Rights of Man. 1792-
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 4:31:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Reducing churn is a good goal. One method is coming out with more
economical plans, but not selectively. The more economical plans should
be available to everybody, listed on the web site and printed in the
brochures. In My Humble Evidently Not Held By Sprintpcs Opinion.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:42:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:_AVxd.6544$RH4.1383@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Reducing churn is a good goal. One method is coming out with more
> economical plans, but not selectively. The more economical plans should
> be available to everybody, listed on the web site and printed in the
> brochures. In My Humble Evidently Not Held By Sprintpcs Opinion.

You would think so, but the industry numbers don't back that up. The
companies with the lowest churn (Nextel and Verzion) are the most expensive.
It would appear that services and customer service are more important.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 5:47:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Excuse me. I said "One method", not the only method. And don't tell
me that when people are looking to change carriers, that some of them
don't look for a carrier with a lower rate plan. Getting a lower rate
plan is part of the reason that some are "retained". My point is that
it is not fair and equal. People who call to cancel are no more special
or deserving than the rest of us.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 8:39:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:co-dnejwG_tKTVXcRVn-1w@adelphia.com...
>
> "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:_AVxd.6544$RH4.1383@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> Reducing churn is a good goal. One method is coming out with more
>> economical plans, but not selectively. The more economical plans should
>> be available to everybody, listed on the web site and printed in the
>> brochures. In My Humble Evidently Not Held By Sprintpcs Opinion.
>
> You would think so, but the industry numbers don't back that up. The
> companies with the lowest churn (Nextel and Verzion) are the most expensive.
> It would appear that services and customer service are more important.

In my opinion, Nextel and Verizon attract the type of customer who is
not very cost conscious, which is one big reason why their churn is low.

Why should Sprint, T-Mobile, or Cingular offer even lower cost plans
than they do now? Their current low dollar offerings are already at or
below carrier cost, and are meant as an inducement for the customer to
upgrade in subsequent years. There is no point in cut-throat type of
competition, which would only attract financially unstable customers.
What makes more sense is for the carriers to reward long-time loyal
customers with inducements to stay with that carrier, thereby reducing
churn.

--
John Richards
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:50:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <GNfyd.6703$9j5.6615@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
jeromez1@earthlink.net says...
> My point is that
> it is not fair and equal. People who call to cancel are no more special
> or deserving than the rest of us.
>
>

No, but there's enough experience to know who is more likely to benefit
the carrier.

I've said before that I don't want to be dismissive. But there are,
quite bluntly, certain types of customers for whom such concessions
result in better business down the road.

The more history a customer develops with a carrier, the better that
carrier can determine a customer's likelihood of staying. That and the
profitability of a customer (as compared to the cost of acquiring
another such customer) yield a value rating. There is actually a
mathematically reliable means of determining this, although my
description above is a horribly simplified explanation of it.

You're right. It's not equal. It's probably not fair. But it's
profitable.

--
RØß
O/Siris
~+~
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
-Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792-
!