MN-740 Drops Connection to MN-700

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

I'm at wit's end here. I have a Microsoft Wireless G adapter
(MN-740), which connects to a Microsoft Wireless G router (MN-700). I
cannot get a connection to stay active. I go into network setup,
choose my SSID, and the status shows connected at 54 for a few
seconds, then it says 'Not Connected'. After a few more seconds, it
will come back to life. This repeats as long as I let it.

Couple things to consider:

1. For grins, I bought an additional MN-740 tonight, and it behaves
exactly the same way.

2. When I hook it up to my laptop thru ICS, it works like a charm. I
connect to XBox Live with no problems.

3. This setup has been working for over a month, and has just
recently started acting up.

4. My laptop has absolutely no trouble at all connecting to the
MN-700 and staying connected.

5. My Axim X3i has absolutely no trouble at all connecting to the
MN-700 and staying connected.

6. Verified firmware on MN-740 as 1.0.2.21 Boot 1.3.0.05; Firmware on
the MN-700 is Runtime code version: 02.00.08.0333, Boot code version:
02.00.08.0333.

Here's what I've tried:

1. Unplugged the cable modem, router and adapter for about 20
minutes, restarted. Same behavior.

2. Turned off the radio for about 10 minutes, then restarted it, and
repeated step 1. Same behavior.

3. Changed the channel, repeated steps 1 and 2. Did this multiple
times. Same behavior.

4. Thinking that there are too many devices in the mix, I turned off
my laptop and disabled the wireless radio on the Axim. Same behavior.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm all for taking the new MN-740
back and exchanging it for a competent router if that is indeed the
problem, but since no other devices have a problem with it, I'm
inclined to think that the 740 and the 700 just aren't as compatible
as they should be.

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about drops connection
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

    On the system where you're trying to use the MN-740, do you have 802.1x
    Authentication enabled? If so, disable it. And remember, the MN-740 won't
    do WPA encryption.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Jason" <laduj@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm at wit's end here. I have a Microsoft Wireless G adapter
    > (MN-740), which connects to a Microsoft Wireless G router (MN-700). I
    > cannot get a connection to stay active. I go into network setup,
    > choose my SSID, and the status shows connected at 54 for a few
    > seconds, then it says 'Not Connected'. After a few more seconds, it
    > will come back to life. This repeats as long as I let it.
    >
    > Couple things to consider:
    >
    > 1. For grins, I bought an additional MN-740 tonight, and it behaves
    > exactly the same way.
    >
    > 2. When I hook it up to my laptop thru ICS, it works like a charm. I
    > connect to XBox Live with no problems.
    >
    > 3. This setup has been working for over a month, and has just
    > recently started acting up.
    >
    > 4. My laptop has absolutely no trouble at all connecting to the
    > MN-700 and staying connected.
    >
    > 5. My Axim X3i has absolutely no trouble at all connecting to the
    > MN-700 and staying connected.
    >
    > 6. Verified firmware on MN-740 as 1.0.2.21 Boot 1.3.0.05; Firmware on
    > the MN-700 is Runtime code version: 02.00.08.0333, Boot code version:
    > 02.00.08.0333.
    >

    > Here's what I've tried:
    >
    > 1. Unplugged the cable modem, router and adapter for about 20
    > minutes, restarted. Same behavior.
    >
    > 2. Turned off the radio for about 10 minutes, then restarted it, and
    > repeated step 1. Same behavior.
    >
    > 3. Changed the channel, repeated steps 1 and 2. Did this multiple
    > times. Same behavior.
    >
    > 4. Thinking that there are too many devices in the mix, I turned off
    > my laptop and disabled the wireless radio on the Axim. Same behavior.
    >
    > Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm all for taking the new MN-740
    > back and exchanging it for a competent router if that is indeed the
    > problem, but since no other devices have a problem with it, I'm
    > inclined to think that the 740 and the 700 just aren't as compatible
    > as they should be.
    >
    > Thanks!
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

    Chris, thanks for the reply.

    At the time of my first posting, I was running wide open, trying to
    eliminate variables. No firewall, no WEP, certainly no WPA (while the
    MN-700 supports it, as you indicate, the MN-740 and therefore, the
    XBox do not), and no MAC filtering.

    Today, I've done some more playing around. I've re-enabled 128 bit
    WEP, as well as MAC filtering, and I'm having the same results.

    From the XBox utility, in Wireless Status, it shows connected, my
    SSID, 54mbps, strength excellent for anywhere between 2 seconds and 3
    minutes. Then, it will show Not Connected for the same range of time.

    There is only one other wireless network in the vicinity, and it is
    running on channel 6. I've tried every channel (1-11) and each
    produces the same results.

    Now, I have made a change the entertainment center area, and now have
    an HDTV. Any chance that's giving off some interference?

    I'm definitely returning the spare MN-740 later tonight, as it behaves
    exactly the same way as the older one I'm using. I've been looking at
    the Linksys WGA54G. The main concern is that the current setup was
    working fine, and I don't want to repeat an exercise in futility.

    Thanks.

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<eMv0cB$QEHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > On the system where you're trying to use the MN-740, do you have 802.1x
    > Authentication enabled? If so, disable it. And remember, the MN-740 won't
    > do WPA encryption.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Jason" <laduj@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm at wit's end here. I have a Microsoft Wireless G adapter
    > > (MN-740), which connects to a Microsoft Wireless G router (MN-700). I
    > > cannot get a connection to stay active. I go into network setup,
    > > choose my SSID, and the status shows connected at 54 for a few
    > > seconds, then it says 'Not Connected'. After a few more seconds, it
    > > will come back to life. This repeats as long as I let it.
    > >
    > > Couple things to consider:
    > >
    > > 1. For grins, I bought an additional MN-740 tonight, and it behaves
    > > exactly the same way.
    > >
    > > 2. When I hook it up to my laptop thru ICS, it works like a charm. I
    > > connect to XBox Live with no problems.
    > >
    > > 3. This setup has been working for over a month, and has just
    > > recently started acting up.
    > >
    > > 4. My laptop has absolutely no trouble at all connecting to the
    > > MN-700 and staying connected.
    > >
    > > 5. My Axim X3i has absolutely no trouble at all connecting to the
    > > MN-700 and staying connected.
    > >
    > > 6. Verified firmware on MN-740 as 1.0.2.21 Boot 1.3.0.05; Firmware on
    > > the MN-700 is Runtime code version: 02.00.08.0333, Boot code version:
    > > 02.00.08.0333.
    > >

    > > Here's what I've tried:
    > >
    > > 1. Unplugged the cable modem, router and adapter for about 20
    > > minutes, restarted. Same behavior.
    > >
    > > 2. Turned off the radio for about 10 minutes, then restarted it, and
    > > repeated step 1. Same behavior.
    > >
    > > 3. Changed the channel, repeated steps 1 and 2. Did this multiple
    > > times. Same behavior.
    > >
    > > 4. Thinking that there are too many devices in the mix, I turned off
    > > my laptop and disabled the wireless radio on the Axim. Same behavior.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm all for taking the new MN-740
    > > back and exchanging it for a competent router if that is indeed the
    > > problem, but since no other devices have a problem with it, I'm
    > > inclined to think that the 740 and the 700 just aren't as compatible
    > > as they should be.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    RFI is a possible with HDTV. Is it satellite or cable?
    Here's a short table of RFI in the 2.4-2.5 Ghz band...

    => http://www.jneuhaus.com/fccindex/2_3_ghz.html#footer

    Anything stick out for you? Try shutting the whole
    entertainment system (outside of Xbox) down.

    connected, my
> [...]
    >> >
    >> > 1. Unplugged the cable modem, router and adapter
    for about 20
    >> > minutes, restarted. Same behavior.
    >> >
    >> > 2. Turned off the radio for about 10 minutes, then
    restarted it, and
    >> > repeated step 1. Same behavior.
    >> >
    >> > 3. Changed the channel, repeated steps 1 and 2.
    Did this multiple
    >> > times. Same behavior.
    >> >
    >> > 4. Thinking that there are too many devices in the
    mix, I turned off
    >> > my laptop and disabled the wireless radio on the
    Axim. Same behavior.

    >> > Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm all for
    taking the new MN-740
    >> > back and exchanging it for a competent router if
    that is indeed the
    >> > problem, but since no other devices have a problem
    with it, I'm
    >> > inclined to think that the 740 and the 700 just

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

    Jason, how are you setting up the MN-740? It needs to be programmed on the
    Xbox, using the CD furnished with it, and then set up through the Dashboard.
    Remember, too, if your MN-700 is feeding DCHP, you need to have nothing in
    the IP addresses, etc., on the Dashboard. I remember first having my Xbox
    set up wired to an MN-500, and when I went to the 54G format for wireless
    and added the MN-740, I had to go back into the Dashboard to remove the
    IP/DNS and other settings.
    --

> [...]
    >> > the MN-700 is Runtime code version: 02.00.08.0333, Boot code version:
    >> > 02.00.08.0333.
    >> >

    >> > Here's what I've tried:
    >> >
    >> > 1. Unplugged the cable modem, router and adapter for about 20
    >> > minutes, restarted. Same behavior.
    >> >
    >> > 2. Turned off the radio for about 10 minutes, then restarted it, and
    >> > repeated step 1. Same behavior.
    >> >
    >> > 3. Changed the channel, repeated steps 1 and 2. Did this multiple
    >> > times. Same behavior.
    >> >
    >> > 4. Thinking that there are too many devices in the mix, I turned off
    >> > my laptop and disabled the wireless radio on the Axim. Same behavior.
    >> >
    >> > Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm all for taking the new MN-740
    >> > back and exchanging it for a competent router if that is indeed the
    >> > problem, but since no other devices have a problem with it, I'm
    >> > inclined to think that the 740 and the 700 just aren't as compatible

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

    Chris,

    I'm setting up the MN-740 directly through the Xbox.

    Here's another interesting find...and something I inadvertently left
    out of the original post.

    If I've got the MN-740 linking to a switch, where my Tivo, Receiver,
    PS2 and Xbox all connect, it cannot keep the connection.

    If I hook any of these components directly to the MN-740, they work.
    It's only when I use the switch that the connection goes in and out.

    Again, this was working fine for over a month, and a week after
    getting the HDTV. I've tried 2 different MN-740's with the same
    results. I've also changed switches with the same results.

    I was under the impression that the MN-740 could handle NAT...

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    J.

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<OBlwSEDREHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > Jason, how are you setting up the MN-740? It needs to be programmed on the
    > Xbox, using the CD furnished with it, and then set up through the Dashboard.
    > Remember, too, if your MN-700 is feeding DCHP, you need to have nothing in
    > the IP addresses, etc., on the Dashboard. I remember first having my Xbox
    > set up wired to an MN-500, and when I went to the 54G format for wireless
    > and added the MN-740, I had to go back into the Dashboard to remove the
    > IP/DNS and other settings.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > Associate Expert

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

    On 20040611 7:32 PM, in article
    261f3113.0406111532.7d5fa571@posting.google.com, "Jason" <laduj@comcast.net>
    wrote:JasonJason20040611 7:32
    PMladuj@comcast.net261f3113.0406111532.7d5fa571@posting.google.com

    > Chris,
    >
    > I'm setting up the MN-740 directly through the Xbox.
    >
    > Here's another interesting find...and something I inadvertently left
    > out of the original post.
    >
    > If I've got the MN-740 linking to a switch, where my Tivo, Receiver,
    > PS2 and Xbox all connect, it cannot keep the connection.
    >
    > If I hook any of these components directly to the MN-740, they work.
    > It's only when I use the switch that the connection goes in and out.
    >
    > Again, this was working fine for over a month, and a week after
    > getting the HDTV. I've tried 2 different MN-740's with the same
    > results. I've also changed switches with the same results.
    >
    > I was under the impression that the MN-740 could handle NAT...
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > J.
    >
    > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Jason, how are you setting up the MN-740? It needs to be programmed on the
    >> Xbox, using the CD furnished with it, and then set up through the Dashboard.
    >> Remember, too, if your MN-700 is feeding DCHP, you need to have nothing in
    >> the IP addresses, etc., on the Dashboard. I remember first having my Xbox
    >> set up wired to an MN-500, and when I went to the 54G format for wireless
    >> and added the MN-740, I had to go back into the Dashboard to remove the
    >> IP/DNS and other settings.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP