Sheetblock sound isolation material

Last response: in Home Audio
March 9, 2005 2:19:44 PM

does anyone here have any fist hand experience with this heavy vinyl
material? it's really expensive, and hopefully, very effective.

i'ts listed here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=41/g=home/search...

.....329 USD. i'd like to put a course or two in my iso booths but i'd
like to hear a little positive feedback before i peel out the cash.

anyone?

thanks,

gary0
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:00:07 PM

oleyar@gmail.com wrote:
> does anyone here have any fist hand experience with this heavy vinyl
> material? it's really expensive, and hopefully, very effective.

I've used several of the similar 1lb/sq.ft. limp mass vinyl barriers on
the market (I've always suspected there's only 1 or 2 factories in the
world that make this & everyone's selling the same product), and it
*can* be effective...but there are some things you should be aware of:

First of all, unless you are meticulous in your installation, it will
most definitely NOT be "very effective". Any gaps between sheets or
fasteners which short out the material to the structural member
seriously compromise the products effectiveness.

Secondly, to perform a meticulous installation takes a lot of time.
Unless you're doing that install yourself (& you don't value your own
time), that means it can be very expensive. For the same price you
could constuct walls or floors using more proven techniques (or more
exotic techniques; see http://www.quietsolution.com).

So yes it can be effective, but only conditionally can it be "very
effective"
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:02:53 PM

I used this to good effect as part of a "sandwich" of sheetrock and
plywood to prevent sound transmission to and from my home studio. It
worked very well, but is a bit difficult to install. A cheaper place
to get what I think is the same material is:

http://www.silentsource.com/barriers-soundbarriers.html
March 9, 2005 3:25:51 PM

oleyar wrote...
> does anyone here have any fist hand experience with this heavy vinyl
> material? it's really expensive, and hopefully, very effective.
>
> i'ts listed here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=41/g=home/search...

> ....329 USD. i'd like to put a course or two in my iso booths but i'd
> like to hear a little positive feedback before i peel out the cash.

If you mean "isolation" to be attenuation of sound in/out
of your iso booths, how much sound are we talking about?
What is the SPL inside? What is the current wall composition?
How much attenuation are you seeking?

How much space can you afford? (extra layers of more
reasonably priced mass)
How much time/expertise/DIY?

What is the current interior wall surface (in terms of reflection/
absorption)?
Are you prepared to deal with the reflective surface of this
sheet vinyl?

That mass vinyl stuff is likely only effective in very selective
applications and is certainly a much more pricey way of getting
mass than (for example) putting up another layer of sheetrock,
etc. Because of this, IMHO, it is dangerously close to being
"snake-oil". There is nothing magic about it. It is just a compact
source of mass at a premium price. It is not "very effective"
enough to justify the premium price in my way of reckoning
things.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:23:09 PM

right now i've got from the outside toward the in:

cinder block outer wall,

3 coats of Drylock,

one layer of fanfold,

one layer of homosote (celotex SoundStop),

2x4 stud frame,

in the stud frame is 2" polyisocyanurate (basically styrofoam),

mashed in white cotton-candy insulation,

another layer of fanfold,

decoupled on the top of the studs (by the fanfold) is 5/8" sheetrock.

that's where i'm at.

i'll be running this room as a guitar speaker iso room/vocal overdub
booth.

directly next to this room will be the bass speaker iso room separated
by a wall yet to be
considered. prolly two rows of 2x4 studs with about an inch in between
the rows.

this doesn't have to be 'perfect', just as good as i can get it. i
figgured that a layer of this high density vinyl on top of the
sheetrock, then another layer of homosote, then sonex. i'll have a
heavy packed ceiling (3"x10" floor joists) and then a floating frame
decoupled from it.

am i on the right path?

thanks for the responses,

gary0
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 10:59:17 PM

On 3/9/05 1:19 PM, in article
1110395984.546703.184570@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "oleyar@gmail.com"
<oleyar@gmail.com> wrote:

> does anyone here have any fist hand experience with this heavy vinyl
> material? it's really expensive, and hopefully, very effective.
>
> like to hear a little positive feedback before i peel out the cash.

You'll get more "bang for your buck" by hanging multiple, offset layers of
standard drywall. If space is at a serious premium, than this type of
product could fit the bill. Most people can spare an inch or two of floor
space.

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer

A lot of great information above. I am also willing to help out anybody confused about sound isolation or sound isolation products. Visit my site, contact me via live chat, or reply to this post.

http://www.SoundIsolationStore.com
!