Album Information on CD Master...

i am mastering my own cds in my home studio but, i cannot figure out
how to get the song information on to the cd when i burn it so that all
the album information will show up when you play it in a media player
or cd player. does anyone know of a tool to do this or is there a file
that i must include on the cd when i burn that can be read by the
device?
10 answers Last reply
More about album information master

    i tried Roxio Toast but it did not work. i am wondering how the
    pro-studios do it.

    Roxio Toast?

    sihnstarr@gmail.com wrote:
    > i am mastering my own cds in my home studio but, i cannot figure out
    > how to get the song information on to the cd when i burn it so that all
    > the album information will show up when you play it in a media player
    > or cd player. does anyone know of a tool to do this or is there a file
    > that i must include on the cd when i burn that can be read by the
    > device?

    From Toast 6.0.7 help files:

    (******************************************************************
    Turning on CD-TEXT

    CD-TEXT is a feature that allows you to store text information like the
    disc title, artist name, and track titles on an audio CD. This
    information can then be displayed on consumer electronic devices that
    support CD-TEXT information.

    You can enable the feature on your disc if your recorder supports
    CD-TEXT and you record your disc in Disc-at-Once mode. For more
    information, see Changing Recorder Settings.

    To enable or disable CD-TEXT:

    1. In the Audio tab, click the Disc Settings button (or the disc title).

    The Disc Settings drawer opens.

    2. To turn on CD-TEXT, select the CD-TEXT check box.
    ********************************************************************)

    Perhaps you're using a recorder that does not support CD-TEXT.

    (*******************************************************************
    From the Roxio web site:

    CD TEXT

    Toast 5.2 now writes CD TEXT information for disc name and track titles
    to recorded audio discs. This information is viewable in CD audio
    players that display CD TEXT. Writing CD TEXT is supported on most MMC3
    compliant recorders. However, even those recorders that follow this
    specification and claim to support CD TEXT may have unpredictable
    results, including unplayable recorded media. We recommend testing CD
    TEXT on your recorder before using this regularly.
    *******************************************************************)

    You might need to buy a modern burner for your computer.

    Cheers,
    Trevor de Clercq

    <sihnstarr@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > i am mastering my own cds in my home studio but, i cannot figure out
    > how to get the song information on to the cd when i burn it so that
    > all the album information will show up when you play it in a media
    > player or cd player. does anyone know of a tool to do this or is
    > there a file that i must include on the cd when i burn that can be
    > read by the device?

    The feature you want is called "CD Text". Various burning packages support
    it, including Nero.

    sihnstarr@gmail.com wrote:
    > i tried Roxio Toast but it did not work. i am wondering how the
    > pro-studios do it.

    Many of the pro studios don't do it at all. Windows Media Player and
    other similar PC-based CD players get the information not from the disc,
    but from an online database that contains the artist and song
    information. In fact, I'm not even sure that they're capable of getting
    it from the disc.

    It is quite possible to put the information into the CD-Text portion of
    the disc with any decent CD-Burning software (I use Nero personally),
    but I find that very few commercial discs actually come with that data
    area populated.

    <sihnstarr@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >i am mastering my own cds in my home studio but, i cannot figure out
    > how to get the song information on to the cd when i burn it so that all
    > the album information will show up when you play it in a media player
    > or cd player. does anyone know of a tool to do this or is there a file
    > that i must include on the cd when i burn that can be read by the
    > device?

    Look for a setting called "CD-Text". That's all you can do as far as the
    disc and stay redbook compliant. You can upload the info to CDDB (free)
    though and any CDDB-capable media players should be able to find it.

    On 3/9/05 2:25 PM, in article
    1110399929.086484.23040@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "sihnstarr@gmail.com"
    <sihnstarr@gmail.com> wrote:

    > i tried Roxio Toast but it did not work. i am wondering how the
    > pro-studios do it.

    First off, there are two different methods available when people want to see
    the track names. Most of the time, the track names aren't actually on the
    disc, but the computer-based player (WMP for example) queries an online data
    base (CDDB) and it pulls down the track names from the web.

    The second method is called CD-Text, where the track names are imbedded into
    the sub-code region of the disc. Even if you had CD-Text on your duplication
    master, there is a good chance that it will get stripped when it's
    transferred into the LBR at the plant. You need to consult with the plant to
    find out their requirements, because some require the text to be delivered
    as a separate floppy or text file.

    Allen
    --
    Allen Corneau
    Mastering Engineer

    <sihnstarr@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >i am mastering my own cds in my home studio but, i cannot figure out
    > how to get the song information on to the cd when i burn it so that all
    > the album information will show up when you play it in a media player
    > or cd player. does anyone know of a tool to do this or is there a file
    > that i must include on the cd when i burn that can be read by the
    > device?

    This is two different things. The text label that show up on a CD Player
    are called CD-TEXT and your burning app needs to suport that.

    The stuff that shows up on WMP is entries in the interenet CDDB
    now at http://www.gracenote.com/gn_products/cddb.html

    geoff
  9. Quote:

    <sihnstarr@gmail.com> wrote:

    > i tried Roxio Toast but it did not work. i am wondering how the
    > pro-studios do it.

    First off, there are two different methods available when people want to see
    the track names. Most of the time, the track names aren't actually on the
    disc, but the computer-based player (WMP for example) queries an online data
    base (CDDB) and it pulls down the track names from the web.

    The second method is called CD-Text, where the track names are imbedded into
    the sub-code region of the disc. Even if you had CD-Text on your duplication
    master, there is a good chance that it will get stripped when it's
    transferred into the LBR at the plant. You need to consult with the plant to
    find out their requirements, because some require the text to be delivered
    as a separate floppy or text file.

    Allen
    --
    Allen Corneau
    Mastering Engineer
    Essential Sound Mastering
    Houston, TX

    Are you stating that the CD player in my vehicle accesses the internet each and every time I play a musical CD? I transferred music from cassettes and vinyl records to CDs and the names come up on the car CD player. I am interested in determining the process so that I can copy the album title, artist name and song title in to a VB 6.0 software program that I am writing to catalog my collection of CDs which include my commercial and my conversion CDs. Typing in that information is extremely tiring and I am not a quarter of the way.
  10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

    You might be able to find some SDK information there. Finding CDs which have CD-Text is a crap shoot.

Pro Audio Burner CD-Rom Audio