Stereo mic into laptop

Last response: in Home Audio
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 10:55:31 PM

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite A70 laptop computer and discovered to my chagrin
that it has only a mono input jack for sound. This means that the sort of recording
I've done in the past with older computers is impossible, unless I want to be
restricted to mono. Grrrr. So I went back to the shop and they said I had to get a
new sound card for that purpose, for stereo. They recommended and I bought a Sound
Blaster Audigy 2xs. What did I find? Ahh, it too has only a mono input. In fact,
when I phoned the company, I was told that all the SoundBlaster products have
mono-only jacks. Ikes, have we returned to 1953?

Anyone got any simple suggestions? I interview people for my research. I want to be
able to (1) record by mic directly to my computer (using SoundForge to capture it);
and (2) copy recordings I have made on my older minidisc recorder (pre-Hi-MD) to my
computer for burning to CD. This used to be easy on older computers.

Philip Hiscock

More about : stereo mic laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 10:55:32 PM

Is this too expensive?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

You can probably find even cheaper USB interfaces on eBay.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Philip Hiscock wrote:
> I just bought a Toshiba Satellite A70 laptop computer and discovered to my chagrin
> that it has only a mono input jack for sound. This means that the sort of recording
> I've done in the past with older computers is impossible, unless I want to be
> restricted to mono. Grrrr. So I went back to the shop and they said I had to get a
> new sound card for that purpose, for stereo. They recommended and I bought a Sound
> Blaster Audigy 2xs. What did I find? Ahh, it too has only a mono input. In fact,
> when I phoned the company, I was told that all the SoundBlaster products have
> mono-only jacks. Ikes, have we returned to 1953?
>
> Anyone got any simple suggestions? I interview people for my research. I want to be
> able to (1) record by mic directly to my computer (using SoundForge to capture it);
> and (2) copy recordings I have made on my older minidisc recorder (pre-Hi-MD) to my
> computer for burning to CD. This used to be easy on older computers.
>
> Philip Hiscock
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 11:40:28 PM

"Philip Hiscock" <philip@morgan.ucs.mun.ca> wrote in message
news:D 0nkbj$q60$1@coranto.ucs.mun.ca
> I just bought a Toshiba Satellite A70 laptop computer and discovered
> to my chagrin that it has only a mono input jack for sound. This
> means that the sort of recording I've done in the past with older
> computers is impossible, unless I want to be restricted to mono.
> Grrrr. So I went back to the shop and they said I had to get a new
> sound card for that purpose, for stereo. They recommended and I
> bought a Sound Blaster Audigy 2xs. What did I find? Ahh, it too has
> only a mono input. In fact, when I phoned the company, I was told
> that all the SoundBlaster products have mono-only jacks. Ikes, have
> we returned to 1953?
>
> Anyone got any simple suggestions? I interview people for my
> research. I want to be able to (1) record by mic directly to my
> computer (using SoundForge to capture it); and (2) copy recordings I
> have made on my older minidisc recorder (pre-Hi-MD) to my computer
> for burning to CD. This used to be easy on older computers.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3731104
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 9:55:54 PM

Philip Hiscock <philip@morgan.ucs.mun.ca> wrote:

>Anyone got any simple suggestions? I interview people for my research. I want to be
>able to (1) record by mic directly to my computer (using SoundForge to capture it);
>and (2) copy recordings I have made on my older minidisc recorder (pre-Hi-MD) to my
>computer for burning to CD. This used to be easy on older computers.

M-Audio MobilePre USB

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 9:56:36 PM

Trevor de Clercq <declerct@REMOVETHISnewschool.edu> wrote:

>Is this too expensive?
>
>http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

The Transit does not have a mic pre. Line in and digital optical in
only.

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
!