WiFi piggyback amplification

confuseis

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Hi

Our company has gotten permission from another company to share their wifi however their wifi signal is very weak and our building is some bit away. I am looking for a solution.

I am thinkning along the lines of getting a wirelss hi gain antenna for the router at the source but I also hear of wireless repeaters and wonder which is preferable? also I wonder is there any need for equipment at the destination end, somehting that allows a greater ability to hear weak signals?

Any advice?

Thanks for reading

Confuseis

Your best option is to use a point-to-point solution w/ business grade equipment, such as the NanoStation from Ubiquiti.

http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#nanostationm

You install these at a high point on your respective buildings to form a wireless bridge, then you run ethernet leads from each into your respective networks.

Note, I only used the NanoStation as an example. There are many similar devices from many other sources, some bigger, some smaller, more/less powerful, etc. Just depends on what you need and how much you’re willing to pay (the Ubiquiti devices tends to be more affordable than most).

TRENDING THREADS