Fork in the road Audio Desk => Digital Performer ?

Last response: in Home Audio
March 10, 2005 11:33:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.home-studio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hello All,

Plunking around digesting all the gadgets from my recent GAS binge,
googled for some insight (found little), and would like to pulse the
collective...

First, I don't do (or haven't gotten into) MIDI, just live audio
tracks.

Here's where I'm at, I'm coming up the learning curve fiddling with
Audio Desk 2.0 that came with the Motu Traveler and curious if the
audio handling and overall GUI of DP 4.5(x) is better/different enough
to upgrade from AD to DP now before I go too far further into the deep
end.

The difference in upgrading or not means a Rodes NT-2a added to the
collection sooner than later... :-)

Opinions are most welcomed.

Andy
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 8:38:15 PM

<aengster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's where I'm at, I'm coming up the learning curve fiddling with
> Audio Desk 2.0 that came with the Motu Traveler and curious if the
> audio handling and overall GUI of DP 4.5(x) is better/different enough
> to upgrade from AD to DP now before I go too far further into the deep
> end.

> The difference in upgrading or not means a Rodes NT-2a added to the
> collection sooner than later... :-)

1. What do you want to do with your DAW that you can't do with Audio
Desk?

2. Are those more or less important to your work than the new mic?

--
ha
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.music.home-studio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Pretty much... Not in your exact words but what I told the fellow was
that I only had so much money left on this particular budget, only did
audio (and not MIDI) and was looking to him to tell me what DP does
with audio that was better than AudioDesk else I would rather use what
money was left towards a mic I've had my eye on -- I told him I needed
convincing and to start talking... :-)

In a nutshell, many of the features he mentioned with DP over AD were
covered in the recent DP review written up in the recent Sound On Sound
and were things I could've put to good use years ago had I had had it.
For example, the phrase looper (for overdubbing) was probably on top of
the "cool" list along with the mastering features as well as the "one
window" arrangement (spending too much time with Audio Desk shuffling
around all these little windows), that DP would accept signal not only
from the Motu but other sources (i.e. the line in on the powerbook) for
quick stereo grabs was something I've always been looking for,
Mastering abilities on DP appeared better, etc... etc... etc...

Funny you brought up the topic of tech support -- Wrapping up doing
battle replacing the hard drive on my daughter's Dell Inspiron Laptop
and at the point to decide just how many of the bell & whistle utility
programs to install on it. It was under full warranty and went
relatively well through the overseas tech support. Back to audio
though--The PT environment definitely looked like it had a
broader/fuller self support community...

Hey - On a side note, you're a Mac user right? Do Mac users give their
Macs names? ;-)

Take care,
Andy
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 11, 2005 1:45:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.home-studio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:38:15 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:

><aengster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Here's where I'm at, I'm coming up the learning curve fiddling with
>> Audio Desk 2.0 that came with the Motu Traveler and curious if the
>> audio handling and overall GUI of DP 4.5(x) is better/different enough
>> to upgrade from AD to DP now before I go too far further into the deep
>> end.
>
>> The difference in upgrading or not means a Rodes NT-2a added to the
>> collection sooner than later... :-)
>
>1. What do you want to do with your DAW that you can't do with Audio
>Desk?
>
>2. Are those more or less important to your work than the new mic?

Hello Hank,

Never mind...

I called Motu, chatted with them some and heard enough to take the DP
path -- The mic addition goes back onto the "maybe next job" list...
:-)

Best,
Andy
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:42:51 AM

Andy wrote:

> (hank alrich) wrote:

> ><aengster wrote:

> >> Here's where I'm at, I'm coming up the learning curve fiddling with
> >> Audio Desk 2.0 that came with the Motu Traveler and curious if the
> >> audio handling and overall GUI of DP 4.5(x) is better/different enough
> >> to upgrade from AD to DP now before I go too far further into the deep
> >> end.

> >> The difference in upgrading or not means a Rodes NT-2a added to the
> >> collection sooner than later... :-)

> >1. What do you want to do with your DAW that you can't do with Audio
> >Desk?

> >2. Are those more or less important to your work than the new mic?

> I called Motu, chatted with them some and heard enough to take the DP
> path -- The mic addition goes back onto the "maybe next job" list...
> :-)

Okay, but think for a moment... what do you expect them to tell you?
"No, man, you're cool; don't spend a few hundred bucks on our app."

Did you give MOTU a list that could follow my "1." above? Not saying DP
ain't cool or that you don't need it, because it is cool. But what do
you need it for?

And let me point out that while it is easy as pie to get MOTU on the
horn if you want to buy something, they very often don't bother to
respond when folks need technical support. So it's a good thing DP is
less obtuse than Logic. <g>

--
ha
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.music.home-studio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 10 Mar 2005 21:34:28 -0800, "aengster@gmail.com"
<aengster@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hey - On a side note, you're a Mac user right? Do Mac users give their
>Macs names? ;-)

Names? Hey, Mac users SLEEP with their machines! How else do you
explain such blind loyalty :-)

March 11, 2005 6:17:43 PM

aengster wrote:

> Hey - On a side note, you're a Mac user right? Do Mac users give their
> Macs names? ;-)

Not 'round here. Way back folks told us not to let the kids name the
chickens, 'cause then they wouldn't want to eat 'em. Didn't work. First
young rooster on the table was named Homer. First kid that took a bite
said, "Ummm, Homer tastes good".

--
ha
Anonymous

Laurence Payne <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10 Mar 2005 21:34:28 -0800, "aengster@gmail.com"
> <aengster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey - On a side note, you're a Mac user right? Do Mac users give their
> >Macs names? ;-)

Er, yes. I call my iBook "iBook" and the PM G5 "G5", just to tell one
from the other .-D

> Names? Hey, Mac users SLEEP with their machines! How else do you
> explain such blind loyalty :-)

LOL .-)

Would a PC user sleeping with his machine be considered *deaf* loyalty?
..-D

(sorry people, I just subscribed to AMHS - i'm keeping the sub to AM4T,
though. Fourtrack is a state of mind ^_^)

--
|'o\| |/o \/o \/o \ | Se/quando c'e', c'e': <http://biggo.dyndns.org&gt;
|._/|_|\__/\__/\__/ | * Non e' bello cio' che e' bello,
/_/ /_/ | figurarsi cio' che e' brutto.
!