I cant get moo2 to work on WinXP

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

even when I use DOSBOX and compatibility tabs the screen always goes
blank why is that

"TXZZ" <superoutland@aol.com> wrote in message
> even when I use DOSBOX and compatibility tabs the screen always goes
> blank why is that

Huh? I have been playing moo2 a lot lately on Windows XP. First, without
any patches. And then later with the latest patch.

Did not have any problems at all.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

were you using XP pro or home. im using home

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

Tried to get it to run.
Did not work but I fuguered out why needs a FAT partition on the HD wont
work with a NTFS.
I added a hd with Fat-32 now it runs no problem ;)

> were you using XP pro or home. im using home

I am using XP Home too. Can't afford XP Pro.

Sorry that I could not be of much help.

My only problem with the game is that it keeps reading the CD and I have to
copy the
whole CD to the HD so as to stop the whirring noises coming from the CD.

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Zyan <koty@pacific.net.sg> wrote:
> Sorry that I could not be of much help.
>
> My only problem with the game is that it keeps reading the CD and I have to
> copy the
> whole CD to the HD so as to stop the whirring noises coming from the CD.

Reduce your CD-ROM drive speed to 8x. That'll get rid of the spin-up
delay. Ahead's Nero comes with a "drive speed" utility that does this
for most drives.

--
Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

"Rick Ryan" <nighthawk@axecessnet.net> once tried to test me with:

> Tried to get it to run.
> Did not work but I fuguered out why needs a FAT partition on the HD wont
> work with a NTFS.
> I added a hd with Fat-32 now it runs no problem ;)

Works fine for me on an NTFS partition. I didn't do anything special, just
installed the game using the installer, then I went and edited the
orioncd.ini file to point to a subdirectory of my Moo2 folder, and I copied
the contents of the CD to that subfolder. Now I do not need the CD in the
drive when I play.

I haven't installed any patches, may try some of that later. I really just
wanted to make sure it worked on Windows XP since it's one of my all time
favorite games, and I played a few hundred turns and it seems to work ok
apart from the mouse sometimes acting sluggish.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

Then, what on earth could your computer have that mine doesn't?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

In article <1116997966.493612.124800@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
superoutland@aol.com says...
> even when I use DOSBOX and compatibility tabs the screen always goes
> blank why is that

There should be two exe files in your moo2 installation - a dos one and
a Win95 one. The Win95 one runs fine on my XP system, FAT32 partition,
SP1. I have set it to run in Win95 compatibility mode.

I imagine the dos version will run fine in dosbox, although I have not
tested this out.
Actually , just started d-fend 2 (dos box front end) created a profile
for the dos exe and it ran just fine. No problemo. I have copied all
files to the MOO2 direcory so it doesn't need the CD. If you are trying
to play off the CD, you may have to mount the CD drive from dosbox as a
cdrom before the program will run.

h.t.h.
-Peter

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

> There should be two exe files in your moo2 installation - a dos one and
> a Win95 one. The Win95 one runs fine on my XP system, FAT32 partition,
> SP1. I have set it to run in Win95 compatibility mode.

Exactly. It even runs quite well without compatibility mode. It's completely
beyond me, why anyone should want to bother with the DOS exe instead of
using the Windows/DirectX one.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

In article <d79f8t$c6$00$1@news.t-online.com>,
dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com says...
> > There should be two exe files in your moo2 installation - a dos one and
> > a Win95 one. The Win95 one runs fine on my XP system, FAT32 partition,
> > SP1. I have set it to run in Win95 compatibility mode.
>
> Exactly. It even runs quite well without compatibility mode. It's completely
> beyond me, why anyone should want to bother with the DOS exe instead of
> using the Windows/DirectX one.

I used to get crashes from time to time as I recall, but since I set it
to run in compatibility mode I haven't had any. Seems it's not the same
for everybody :)

Dirk Dreidoppel schrieb:

> Exactly. It even runs quite well without compatibility mode. It's completely
> beyond me, why anyone should want to bother with the DOS exe instead of
> using the Windows/DirectX one.

Try to play multiplayer with the win version. Then you know why all
multiplayer veterans prefer the dos version. (See StepNRazor's Links
for details)

On 29 May 2005 08:20:41 -0700, kakophoniker@gmx.de wrote:

>Dirk Dreidoppel schrieb:
>
>> Exactly. It even runs quite well without compatibility mode. It's completely
>> beyond me, why anyone should want to bother with the DOS exe instead of
>> using the Windows/DirectX one.
>
>Try to play multiplayer with the win version. Then you know why all
>multiplayer veterans prefer the dos version. (See StepNRazor's Links
>for details)

I've played the Windows multiplayer (hotseat), and didn't see anything
wrong... I also don't have the Dos version to know what was missing to
begin with.

Can you elaborate on what was missing?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

> Try to play multiplayer with the win version. Then you know why all
> multiplayer veterans prefer the dos version. (See StepNRazor's Links
> for details)

Point taken. I have limited multiplayer experience with MoO 2, but I do
remember that the connection would often die with computers of massively
different speeds taking part. No issues with similar machines though.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

Hmmm. I never tried win version with very similar machines. (Thats
difficult in an online community anyway.) But any game I have played
was extremely laggy. (Even 3way simply impossible. With Dos version: 5
or 6way is playable (online). And 8way has no lag at all in a pure LAN.)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

For non multiplayer win or dos is fine.
But for the LB pathc you wil need dos ver.
For multiplayer the win version is very very slow ship combat is
unplayably slow.
I'm not going to say that there isn't any lag dos ver multi it seems to
vary with players from arround ythe globe meeting up to play on kali.
There is usualy someone there at most any given time. If you like
multi player moo2 or want to give it it a try stop by kali server 206.
If you want to get more involved join the league, you dont have to
worry about being an expertplayer thare is plenty room for players of
all levels and if you want to learn some multiplayer tricks and tips
from some top players join the league and learn first hand from those
on your team all the teams haev some excellant players.
To look at the league sign up check this link.
Moo2 league sign up.
Check out
http://apolyton.net/forums//showthread.php?s=&postid=3788080&t=1664#post3788080
and http://www.pixelexiq.com/moo2/forum/topic.asp?fid=5&tid=62

Siron

StepNRazor schrieb:

> I'm not going to say that there isn't any lag dos ver multi it seems to
> vary with players from arround ythe globe meeting up to play on kali.

Well, I meant a pure LAN here. (Not simulated by kali.) Some buddies
played a 7way here in Hamburg with ZERO lag. (Win has also lag without
kali iirc.)

BTW. We should with the league this weekend imho.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

"TXZZ" <superoutland@aol.com> wrote in message
> even when I use DOSBOX and compatibility tabs the screen always goes
> blank why is that

I'm pretty sure that it is a video card driver. Generic drivers work. Fancy
drivers cause problems. My last computer will crash the program but it also
trying to run a vidio display for another moniter that isn't there. Why is a
good question. I've tried to turn most of its features off but it is still a
pain. It does run Sim City just fine. My lap top and this computer don't
have any problems. Every time I've had a bleeping problem it has been been
the vidio card driver.

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message

> deowll wrote:
>> "TXZZ" <superoutland@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>even when I use DOSBOX and compatibility tabs the screen always goes
>>>blank why is that
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure that it is a video card driver. Generic drivers work.
>> Fancy
>> drivers cause problems. My last computer will crash the program but it
>> also
>> trying to run a vidio display for another moniter that isn't there. Why
>> is a
>> good question. I've tried to turn most of its features off but it is
>> still a
>> pain. It does run Sim City just fine. My lap top and this computer don't
>> have any problems. Every time I've had a bleeping problem it has been
>> been
>> the vidio card driver.
>
> Maybe you have a dual display video card. My last two pc's had them..
> Just make sure you connect your computer to the primary video connector
> on the back of your computer..
>
> And MOO2 for ms-dos should work on old video cards with
> <http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/ent/free_titles.html> "SciTech
> Display Doctor 6.53" (free now).
>
> Thomas

Okay, It isn't a burning issue right now. I have two other machines I can
play it on. This is one of them. I used to want to run out and buy a new
system every few years but I'm getting to where I can't see any performance
gains when I change machines. The old one was and is running office fine so
I've got a lap top and two desktops and I use the old desktop about as much
as the newer machine.

What patches besides 1.3 are available for Moo II?

Did any of the people who wanted to create a "better" Moo succeed?

After reading a few posts I've started playing again. I still wouldn't pay
more than three points for Democracy. No way is this as anything like as
good as uni! A simply population booster will do more for you!

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:52:46 -0500, "deowll" <deowll@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> deowll wrote:
>>> "TXZZ" <superoutland@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm pretty sure that it is a video card driver. Generic drivers work.
>>> Fancy
>>> drivers cause problems. My last computer will crash the program but it
>>> also
>>> trying to run a vidio display for another moniter that isn't there. Why
>>> is a
>>> good question. I've tried to turn most of its features off but it is
>>> still a
>>> pain. It does run Sim City just fine. My lap top and this computer don't
>>> have any problems. Every time I've had a bleeping problem it has been
>>> been
>>> the vidio card driver.
>>
>> Maybe you have a dual display video card. My last two pc's had them..
>> Just make sure you connect your computer to the primary video connector
>> on the back of your computer..
>>
>> And MOO2 for ms-dos should work on old video cards with
>> <http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/ent/free_titles.html> "SciTech
>> Display Doctor 6.53" (free now).
>>
>> Thomas
>
>Okay, It isn't a burning issue right now. I have two other machines I can
>play it on. This is one of them. I used to want to run out and buy a new
>system every few years but I'm getting to where I can't see any performance
>gains when I change machines. The old one was and is running office fine so
>I've got a lap top and two desktops and I use the old desktop about as much
>as the newer machine.

That helps. I just move my old machines somewhere I can use them,
so I can pull off the same trick. But Moo2 runs for me without any
tricks under WinXP/SP2/

>What patches besides 1.3 are available for Moo II?

1.31 is the latest official PC patch. There are later patches for
the Mac version. There is also an unofficial patch, can't recall the
URL, which fixes a few bugs in 1.31 (notably, the stealth tech bug, so
cloaked ships will be invisible).

>Did any of the people who wanted to create a "better" Moo succeed?

Not as far as I know. There are other space games which aren't bad,
but not follow either Moo or Moo2. Moo3 is really a different game,
not much like either of its predecessors.

>After reading a few posts I've started playing again. I still wouldn't pay
>more than three points for Democracy. No way is this as anything like as
>good as uni! A simply population booster will do more for you!

Pick costs can be edited. If a few bugs were fixed, Democracy might
be worth more, but still not more than Unification. You can work
around the trade goods bug with playing style -- that one gives excess
production, which Uni has loads of, an unfair boost in cash output --
but the edge in commerce and research really only kicks in strong in
the late game.

Dropping its price, though, makes it a much easier choice. Same
goes for editing any pick costs for things which you feel are over or
underpriced. Rebalancing that can be tricky, but it can be worth it
in order to have a game with more variety.

Feudal goes the other way. It is very cheap, but its disadvantages
are hard to overcome. It can turn out outpost and colony ships as
easily as unification, which isn't bad. Once big wars are on, the
cheap ships can also help. But staying competitive in anything else
is hard. Of course, that is what the pick penalty is supposed to
represent. OTOH, part of this is that Unification is *so* good for
the price, it could even cost more and still be effective.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

"What patches besides 1.3 are available for Moo II? "
Yes there is an excellent one, that removes many game bugs and allows
for command line arguments to ame some setting.
I will post the read me file for it.

MASTER OF ORION II
Battle at Antares
DOS Version 1.40b19
(Unofficial Patch)

Readme File
Feb 19, 2005

Found at www.lordbrazen.blogspot.com

THIS PATCH IS NOT SUPPORTED BY MICROPROSE OR
ANYONE AT ALL. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

NOTE: THIS IS A ENGLISH DOS VERSION PATCH
ONLY. IT REQUIRES THAT ENGLISH VERSION 1.31
PATCH IS APPLIED FIRST.

How to Update to Version 1.40
*****************************

1) Download the updater file named "MOO2V140.EXE" Please be
sure to note which directory you download the file to.

2) Copy MOO2V140.EXE to the Master of Orion II directory on
your hard drive. This directory is usually \MPS\ORION2.

3) To update your copy of Master of Orion II to version
1.40, simply run the MOO2v140.EXE. It will create a
separate Orion2v140.exe and optionally a desktop icon.

4) To play the updated v1.40 version of the game, run
Orion2v140.exe or use the desktop icon. To play the
v1.31 version of the game, run Orion2.exe.

Networked games
***************

All players must be using the same version number of the
game (such as version 1.40). You will not be able to join
a game if your version is different than the host.

Version 1.40 Changes
********************

Bug Fixes
*********

Ship leader crash - You will no longer crash the game when you
visit the ship leaders screen and you have
no ships.

Credit cheat - You will no longer receive Trade goods and
produce an item at the same planet in a single
turn.

Last race bugs - The last race button has been removed from
multiplayer
game screens due to numerous bugs (duplicate race
pictures / various crash bugs)

Arti planet bug - The arti planet special will no longer be removed
when an opponent ends their turn first.

Stealth tech bug - Stealth tech now works on ships equiped with it.

XP LAN game support - Lockups and Crashes related to Windows XP LAN
games are fixed. Now supports XP SP2.

Missing VESA bug - You should no longer receive the erronious
"missing
vesa.com" on some computers.

Repeat Build bug - Repeat built production can no longer be canceled
after purchased.

New Features
************

New technology age - Post warp. All players get all techs 250RPs and
below even if
the race is not creative.

Improved home systems - There will be at least one colonizable planet
plus your homeworld in your home system.

New command line switches - various command line switches have
been added to improve the map generator.

/nowh No wormholes are generated on new maps

/nobh No black holes are generated on new maps

/noorion Orion is hidden on new maps ( cannot be
reached )

/minstart The unoccupied planet closest to the sun in
all
home systems will be at least 2 production per
worker to a normal G race.

/hugestart The unoccupied planet closest to the sun in
all
home systems will be huge and its gravity will
match that of the homeworld.

/richstart The unoccupied planet closest to the sun in
all
home systems will be rich and its gravity will
match that of the homeworld (this switch is
ignored if /goodstart is used).

/goodstart The unoccupied planet closest to the sun in
all
home systems will be Ultra Rich and its
gravity
will match that of the homeworld.

/nosplint No splinter worlds unless there is a monster
guarding it.

/planets=# Sets the minimum number of planets in all home
systems to #. This value includes the home
world. Valid values are 2-5 (default is 2).
If you try a value outside of the valid range
it will use the default.

/picks=# Sets the starting race picks points to #.
Valid values are 10-14 (default is 10). If
you
try a value outside of the valid range it will
use the default. Note: some screens in the
game
only show the first 11 race picks (it is
possible to pick more than 11).

NOTE: the switches /minstart, /hugestart, /richstart, and
/goodstart all effect the same planet. The effect is
cumulative. These switches ONLY EFFECT ONE PLANET.
ALL OTHERS ARE COMPLETELY RANDOM.

Other Changes

The modem comm info button has been disabled in order to make room
for the patch code. If you need to configure the modem settings,
you can use the 1.31 version of the game to do so. Also, the TEN
button has been disabled for the same reason.

Also here is a site that has some multiplayer info for moo2 and files
as well.
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2004_02_01_masteroforion2_archive.html#107792119255475969