I cant get moo2 to work on WinXP

Last response: in Video Games
May 25, 2005 2:12:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

even when I use DOSBOX and compatibility tabs the screen always goes
blank why is that

More about : moo2 work winxp

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:19:33 AM

"TXZZ" <superoutland@aol.com> wrote in message
> even when I use DOSBOX and compatibility tabs the screen always goes
> blank why is that

Huh? I have been playing moo2 a lot lately on Windows XP. First, without
any patches. And then later with the latest patch.

Did not have any problems at all.
May 26, 2005 3:53:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

were you using XP pro or home. im using home
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 11:17:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

Tried to get it to run.
Did not work but I fuguered out why needs a FAT partition on the HD wont
work with a NTFS.
I added a hd with Fat-32 now it runs no problem ;)

"TXZZ" <superoutland@aol.com> wrote in message
> even when I use DOSBOX and compatibility tabs the screen always goes
> blank why is that

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:44:45 AM

> were you using XP pro or home. im using home

I am using XP Home too. Can't afford XP Pro.

Sorry that I could not be of much help.

My only problem with the game is that it keeps reading the CD and I have to
copy the
whole CD to the HD so as to stop the whirring noises coming from the CD.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:44:46 AM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Zyan <koty@pacific.net.sg> wrote:
> Sorry that I could not be of much help.
>
> My only problem with the game is that it keeps reading the CD and I have to
> copy the
> whole CD to the HD so as to stop the whirring noises coming from the CD.

Reduce your CD-ROM drive speed to 8x. That'll get rid of the spin-up
delay. Ahead's Nero comes with a "drive speed" utility that does this
for most drives.

--
Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

"Rick Ryan" <nighthawk@axecessnet.net> once tried to test me with:

> Tried to get it to run.
> Did not work but I fuguered out why needs a FAT partition on the HD wont
> work with a NTFS.
> I added a hd with Fat-32 now it runs no problem ;)

Works fine for me on an NTFS partition. I didn't do anything special, just
installed the game using the installer, then I went and edited the
orioncd.ini file to point to a subdirectory of my Moo2 folder, and I copied
the contents of the CD to that subfolder. Now I do not need the CD in the
drive when I play.

I haven't installed any patches, may try some of that later. I really just
wanted to make sure it worked on Windows XP since it's one of my all time
favorite games, and I played a few hundred turns and it seems to work ok
apart from the mouse sometimes acting sluggish.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 7:44:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

Then, what on earth could your computer have that mine doesn't?
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:55:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

In article <1116997966.493612.124800@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
superoutland@aol.com says...
> even when I use DOSBOX and compatibility tabs the screen always goes
> blank why is that

There should be two exe files in your moo2 installation - a dos one and
a Win95 one. The Win95 one runs fine on my XP system, FAT32 partition,
SP1. I have set it to run in Win95 compatibility mode.

I imagine the dos version will run fine in dosbox, although I have not
tested this out.
Actually , just started d-fend 2 (dos box front end) created a profile
for the dos exe and it ran just fine. No problemo. I have copied all
files to the MOO2 direcory so it doesn't need the CD. If you are trying
to play off the CD, you may have to mount the CD drive from dosbox as a
cdrom before the program will run.

h.t.h.
-Peter
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:56:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

> There should be two exe files in your moo2 installation - a dos one and
> a Win95 one. The Win95 one runs fine on my XP system, FAT32 partition,
> SP1. I have set it to run in Win95 compatibility mode.

Exactly. It even runs quite well without compatibility mode. It's completely
beyond me, why anyone should want to bother with the DOS exe instead of
using the Windows/DirectX one.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:51:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

In article <d79f8t$c6$00$1@news.t-online.com>,
dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com says...
> > There should be two exe files in your moo2 installation - a dos one and
> > a Win95 one. The Win95 one runs fine on my XP system, FAT32 partition,
> > SP1. I have set it to run in Win95 compatibility mode.
>
> Exactly. It even runs quite well without compatibility mode. It's completely
> beyond me, why anyone should want to bother with the DOS exe instead of
> using the Windows/DirectX one.

I used to get crashes from time to time as I recall, but since I set it
to run in compatibility mode I haven't had any. Seems it's not the same
for everybody :-)

-P.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 12:20:41 PM

Dirk Dreidoppel schrieb:

> Exactly. It even runs quite well without compatibility mode. It's completely
> beyond me, why anyone should want to bother with the DOS exe instead of
> using the Windows/DirectX one.

Try to play multiplayer with the win version. Then you know why all
multiplayer veterans prefer the dos version. (See StepNRazor's Links
for details)
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:25:34 AM

On 29 May 2005 08:20:41 -0700, kakophoniker@gmx.de wrote:

>Dirk Dreidoppel schrieb:
>
>> Exactly. It even runs quite well without compatibility mode. It's completely
>> beyond me, why anyone should want to bother with the DOS exe instead of
>> using the Windows/DirectX one.
>
>Try to play multiplayer with the win version. Then you know why all
>multiplayer veterans prefer the dos version. (See StepNRazor's Links
>for details)

I've played the Windows multiplayer (hotseat), and didn't see anything
wrong... I also don't have the Dos version to know what was missing to
begin with.

Can you elaborate on what was missing?
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:03:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

> Try to play multiplayer with the win version. Then you know why all
> multiplayer veterans prefer the dos version. (See StepNRazor's Links
> for details)

Point taken. I have limited multiplayer experience with MoO 2, but I do
remember that the connection would often die with computers of massively
different speeds taking part. No issues with similar machines though.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:04:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

Hmmm. I never tried win version with very similar machines. (Thats
difficult in an online community anyway.) But any game I have played
was extremely laggy. (Even 3way simply impossible. With Dos version: 5
or 6way is playable (online). And 8way has no lag at all in a pure LAN.)
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:07:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

I dont talk about hotseat here. I mean ---> multiplayer network.
Such games are even online possible when you use a software to simulate
a LAN.

When you are interested you should try kali.

dozens moo2 veterans are online there.

Details:
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2004_02_01_masterofo...
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 5:18:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

For non multiplayer win or dos is fine.
But for the LB pathc you wil need dos ver.
For multiplayer the win version is very very slow ship combat is
unplayably slow.
I'm not going to say that there isn't any lag dos ver multi it seems to
vary with players from arround ythe globe meeting up to play on kali.
There is usualy someone there at most any given time. If you like
multi player moo2 or want to give it it a try stop by kali server 206.
If you want to get more involved join the league, you dont have to
worry about being an expertplayer thare is plenty room for players of
all levels and if you want to learn some multiplayer tricks and tips
from some top players join the league and learn first hand from those
on your team all the teams haev some excellant players.
To look at the league sign up check this link.
Moo2 league sign up.
Check out
http://apolyton.net/forums//showthread.php?s=&postid=37...
and http://www.pixelexiq.com/moo2/forum/topic.asp?fid=5&tid...
June 3, 2005 2:11:22 PM

StepNRazor schrieb:

> I'm not going to say that there isn't any lag dos ver multi it seems to
> vary with players from arround ythe globe meeting up to play on kali.

Well, I meant a pure LAN here. (Not simulated by kali.) Some buddies
played a 7way here in Hamburg with ZERO lag. (Win has also lag without
kali iirc.)

BTW. We should with the league this weekend imho.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 11:44:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

"TXZZ" <superoutland@aol.com> wrote in message
> even when I use DOSBOX and compatibility tabs the screen always goes
> blank why is that

I'm pretty sure that it is a video card driver. Generic drivers work. Fancy
drivers cause problems. My last computer will crash the program but it also
trying to run a vidio display for another moniter that isn't there. Why is a
good question. I've tried to turn most of its features off but it is still a
pain. It does run Sim City just fine. My lap top and this computer don't
have any problems. Every time I've had a bleeping problem it has been been
the vidio card driver.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:23:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:52:46 PM

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message

> deowll wrote:
>> "TXZZ" <superoutland@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>even when I use DOSBOX and compatibility tabs the screen always goes
>>>blank why is that
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure that it is a video card driver. Generic drivers work.
>> Fancy
>> drivers cause problems. My last computer will crash the program but it
>> also
>> trying to run a vidio display for another moniter that isn't there. Why
>> is a
>> good question. I've tried to turn most of its features off but it is
>> still a
>> pain. It does run Sim City just fine. My lap top and this computer don't
>> have any problems. Every time I've had a bleeping problem it has been
>> been
>> the vidio card driver.
>
> Maybe you have a dual display video card. My last two pc's had them..
> Just make sure you connect your computer to the primary video connector
> on the back of your computer..
>
> And MOO2 for ms-dos should work on old video cards with
> <http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/ent/free_titles.htm...; "SciTech
> Display Doctor 6.53" (free now).
>
> Thomas

Okay, It isn't a burning issue right now. I have two other machines I can
play it on. This is one of them. I used to want to run out and buy a new
system every few years but I'm getting to where I can't see any performance
gains when I change machines. The old one was and is running office fine so
I've got a lap top and two desktops and I use the old desktop about as much
as the newer machine.

What patches besides 1.3 are available for Moo II?

Did any of the people who wanted to create a "better" Moo succeed?

After reading a few posts I've started playing again. I still wouldn't pay
more than three points for Democracy. No way is this as anything like as
good as uni! A simply population booster will do more for you!

> - --
> "You can't be safer, can't be more secure than with a breast in each
> palm, that's the way I was born and that's the way I want to die" -
> Sugarcubes, Mama, 1988
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:50:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:52:46 -0500, "deowll" <deowll@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> deowll wrote:
>>> "TXZZ" <superoutland@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm pretty sure that it is a video card driver. Generic drivers work.
>>> Fancy
>>> drivers cause problems. My last computer will crash the program but it
>>> also
>>> trying to run a vidio display for another moniter that isn't there. Why
>>> is a
>>> good question. I've tried to turn most of its features off but it is
>>> still a
>>> pain. It does run Sim City just fine. My lap top and this computer don't
>>> have any problems. Every time I've had a bleeping problem it has been
>>> been
>>> the vidio card driver.
>>
>> Maybe you have a dual display video card. My last two pc's had them..
>> Just make sure you connect your computer to the primary video connector
>> on the back of your computer..
>>
>> And MOO2 for ms-dos should work on old video cards with
>> <http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/ent/free_titles.htm...; "SciTech
>> Display Doctor 6.53" (free now).
>>
>> Thomas
>
>Okay, It isn't a burning issue right now. I have two other machines I can
>play it on. This is one of them. I used to want to run out and buy a new
>system every few years but I'm getting to where I can't see any performance
>gains when I change machines. The old one was and is running office fine so
>I've got a lap top and two desktops and I use the old desktop about as much
>as the newer machine.

That helps. I just move my old machines somewhere I can use them,
so I can pull off the same trick. But Moo2 runs for me without any
tricks under WinXP/SP2/

>What patches besides 1.3 are available for Moo II?

1.31 is the latest official PC patch. There are later patches for
the Mac version. There is also an unofficial patch, can't recall the
URL, which fixes a few bugs in 1.31 (notably, the stealth tech bug, so
cloaked ships will be invisible).

>Did any of the people who wanted to create a "better" Moo succeed?

Not as far as I know. There are other space games which aren't bad,
but not follow either Moo or Moo2. Moo3 is really a different game,
not much like either of its predecessors.

>After reading a few posts I've started playing again. I still wouldn't pay
>more than three points for Democracy. No way is this as anything like as
>good as uni! A simply population booster will do more for you!

Pick costs can be edited. If a few bugs were fixed, Democracy might
be worth more, but still not more than Unification. You can work
around the trade goods bug with playing style -- that one gives excess
production, which Uni has loads of, an unfair boost in cash output --
but the edge in commerce and research really only kicks in strong in
the late game.

Dropping its price, though, makes it a much easier choice. Same
goes for editing any pick costs for things which you feel are over or
underpriced. Rebalancing that can be tricky, but it can be worth it
in order to have a game with more variety.

Feudal goes the other way. It is very cheap, but its disadvantages
are hard to overcome. It can turn out outpost and colony ships as
easily as unification, which isn't bad. Once big wars are on, the
cheap ships can also help. But staying competitive in anything else
is hard. Of course, that is what the pick penalty is supposed to
represent. OTOH, part of this is that Unification is *so* good for
the price, it could even cost more and still be effective.

** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:44:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

"What patches besides 1.3 are available for Moo II? "
Yes there is an excellent one, that removes many game bugs and allows
for command line arguments to ame some setting.
I will post the read me file for it.

MASTER OF ORION II
Battle at Antares
DOS Version 1.40b19
(Unofficial Patch)

Readme File
Feb 19, 2005

Found at www.lordbrazen.blogspot.com

THIS PATCH IS NOT SUPPORTED BY MICROPROSE OR
ANYONE AT ALL. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

NOTE: THIS IS A ENGLISH DOS VERSION PATCH
ONLY. IT REQUIRES THAT ENGLISH VERSION 1.31
PATCH IS APPLIED FIRST.

How to Update to Version 1.40
*****************************

1) Download the updater file named "MOO2V140.EXE" Please be
sure to note which directory you download the file to.

2) Copy MOO2V140.EXE to the Master of Orion II directory on
your hard drive. This directory is usually \MPS\ORION2.

3) To update your copy of Master of Orion II to version
1.40, simply run the MOO2v140.EXE. It will create a
separate Orion2v140.exe and optionally a desktop icon.

4) To play the updated v1.40 version of the game, run
Orion2v140.exe or use the desktop icon. To play the
v1.31 version of the game, run Orion2.exe.

Networked games
***************

All players must be using the same version number of the
game (such as version 1.40). You will not be able to join
a game if your version is different than the host.

Version 1.40 Changes
********************

Bug Fixes
*********

Ship leader crash - You will no longer crash the game when you
visit the ship leaders screen and you have
no ships.

Credit cheat - You will no longer receive Trade goods and
produce an item at the same planet in a single
turn.

Last race bugs - The last race button has been removed from
multiplayer
game screens due to numerous bugs (duplicate race
pictures / various crash bugs)

Arti planet bug - The arti planet special will no longer be removed
when an opponent ends their turn first.

Stealth tech bug - Stealth tech now works on ships equiped with it.

XP LAN game support - Lockups and Crashes related to Windows XP LAN
games are fixed. Now supports XP SP2.

Missing VESA bug - You should no longer receive the erronious
"missing
vesa.com" on some computers.

Repeat Build bug - Repeat built production can no longer be canceled
after purchased.

New Features
************

New technology age - Post warp. All players get all techs 250RPs and
below even if
the race is not creative.

Improved home systems - There will be at least one colonizable planet
plus your homeworld in your home system.

New command line switches - various command line switches have
been added to improve the map generator.

/nowh No wormholes are generated on new maps

/nobh No black holes are generated on new maps

/noorion Orion is hidden on new maps ( cannot be
reached )

/minstart The unoccupied planet closest to the sun in
all
home systems will be at least 2 production per
worker to a normal G race.

/hugestart The unoccupied planet closest to the sun in
all
home systems will be huge and its gravity will
match that of the homeworld.

/richstart The unoccupied planet closest to the sun in
all
home systems will be rich and its gravity will
match that of the homeworld (this switch is
ignored if /goodstart is used).

/goodstart The unoccupied planet closest to the sun in
all
home systems will be Ultra Rich and its
gravity
will match that of the homeworld.

/nosplint No splinter worlds unless there is a monster
guarding it.

/planets=# Sets the minimum number of planets in all home
systems to #. This value includes the home
world. Valid values are 2-5 (default is 2).
If you try a value outside of the valid range
it will use the default.

/picks=# Sets the starting race picks points to #.
Valid values are 10-14 (default is 10). If
you
try a value outside of the valid range it will
use the default. Note: some screens in the
game
only show the first 11 race picks (it is
possible to pick more than 11).

NOTE: the switches /minstart, /hugestart, /richstart, and
/goodstart all effect the same planet. The effect is
cumulative. These switches ONLY EFFECT ONE PLANET.
ALL OTHERS ARE COMPLETELY RANDOM.

Other Changes
*************

The modem comm info button has been disabled in order to make room
for the patch code. If you need to configure the modem settings,
you can use the 1.31 version of the game to do so. Also, the TEN
button has been disabled for the same reason.

Also here is a site that has some multiplayer info for moo2 and files
as well.
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2004_02_01_masterofo...
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:55:09 PM

"Jeffery S. Jones" <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in message
news:p dioa19ong3slsdglol9749m1qso3faq9d@4ax.com...
> [...]
> but the edge in commerce and research really only kicks in strong in
> the late game.
>
> Dropping its price, though, makes it a much easier choice. Same
> goes for editing any pick costs for things which you feel are over or
> underpriced. Rebalancing that can be tricky, but it can be worth it
> in order to have a game with more variety.
>
> Feudal goes the other way. It is very cheap, but its disadvantages
> are hard to overcome. It can turn out outpost and colony ships as
> easily as unification, which isn't bad. Once big wars are on, the
> cheap ships can also help. But staying competitive in anything else
> is hard. Of course, that is what the pick penalty is supposed to
> represent. OTOH, part of this is that Unification is *so* good for
> the price, it could even cost more and still be effective.

Um. I've never edited the way the game works. Sorry. I'd like to try to make
the fighters more effective and the torpedoes. As they are they pretty much
are a very bad choice.

I think they should have left the assualt shuttles alone as well. Ion cannon
should not have been quite so badly damaged.

I like what I hope was the original idea. That you could create any of
several different weapons systems and still be very effective. No one option
was always the best option.

> --
> *-__Jeffery Jones__________| *Starfire* |____________________-*
> ** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
> *Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
June 16, 2005 8:15:30 PM

deowll schrieb:

> Um. I've never edited the way the game works. Sorry. I'd like to try to make
> the fighters more effective and the torpedoes. As they are they pretty much
> are a very bad choice.

fighters are a difficult issue. they are the best weapon to take out
monsters early on. (just 4ff against amoeba, 6 vs hydra and 8 vs
crystal.)

So you can make them smaller...but when they fit in a ff without
battlepods any race could take out these monsters early on.

but for battles: biggest problem......they are slower than missiles.

enveloping anti matter torps are quite powerful. good choice.

> I think they should have left the assualt shuttles alone as well. Ion cannon
> should not have been quite so badly damaged.

shuttles are also too slow. Ion quite ok. (Use it in combination with
other beam weapon which should take down the shields first.)
June 16, 2005 11:08:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

"On a space versus damage done they aren't.....I've done the math or
the damage done."

Well, I have also done some math. And the values are comparable to
mirved missiles.

I have also some experience based on online multiplayer games. And I
just quote some kali mainstream here now:

"Alternates include Anti-Matter Torpedoes or Phasors. Anti-Matter
Torpedoes are particularly useful if your opponent has chosen
Cybertronic Computers or is Creative and is therefore capable of
shooting down any missile salvos you are likely to launch."

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005_03_01_masterofo...

Written by Cybersaber (a well known creative player on kali.)

When u disagree....try a non-tolerant race against him. Poll proc and
atmos are attractive early on. When you have taken them and realize
that your opponent is surprisingly creative anti matter torps are
almost a MUST HAVE.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:53:02 PM

"siron" <kakophoniker@gmx.de> wrote in message
> deowll schrieb:
>
>> Um. I've never edited the way the game works. Sorry. I'd like to try to
>> make
>> the fighters more effective and the torpedoes. As they are they pretty
>> much
>> are a very bad choice.
>
> fighters are a difficult issue. they are the best weapon to take out
> monsters early on. (just 4ff against amoeba, 6 vs hydra and 8 vs
> crystal.)
>
> So you can make them smaller...but when they fit in a ff without
> battlepods any race could take out these monsters early on.
>
> but for battles: biggest problem......they are slower than missiles.
>
> enveloping anti matter torps are quite powerful. good choice.

On a space versus damage done they aren't. They also don't hit on the same
turn fired. You basicly have to take two hits before your weapons arrive in
many cases plus lightening shields take out half.

You don't need advanced computer tech to use them but that combined with
poor beam teach means you fire last. I've done the math or the damage done.

>> I think they should have left the assualt shuttles alone as well. Ion
>> cannon
>> should not have been quite so badly damaged.
>
> shuttles are also too slow.

At one time you could pick up the extra and reuse them.

>Ion quite ok. (Use it in combination with
> other beam weapon which should take down the shields first.)

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:55:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:53:02 -0500, "deowll" <deowll@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>"siron" <kakophoniker@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> deowll schrieb:
>>
>>> Um. I've never edited the way the game works. Sorry. I'd like to try to
>>> make
>>> the fighters more effective and the torpedoes. As they are they pretty
>>> much
>>> are a very bad choice.
>>
>> fighters are a difficult issue. they are the best weapon to take out
>> monsters early on. (just 4ff against amoeba, 6 vs hydra and 8 vs
>> crystal.)
>>
>> So you can make them smaller...but when they fit in a ff without
>> battlepods any race could take out these monsters early on.
>>
>> but for battles: biggest problem......they are slower than missiles.
>>
>> enveloping anti matter torps are quite powerful. good choice.
>
>On a space versus damage done they aren't. They also don't hit on the same
>turn fired. You basicly have to take two hits before your weapons arrive in
>many cases plus lightening shields take out half.

It has been a while since I played that game, but as I recall,
torpedos were effective when used as intended, which is to say sniping
at long range to stay out of the range of the opposition's beam
weapons, ideally cloaked between shots.
June 17, 2005 10:44:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

I mean fighter bays here. (80RP) Quite earlier than mirved nukes
(650RP) I take out hydra and amoeba at ~t25 with demo lith. (crystal
turn 27 ...needs 2 more ffs)
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:10:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

"siron" <kakophoniker@gmx.de> wrote in message
> deowll schrieb:
>
> > Um. I've never edited the way the game works. Sorry. I'd like to try to
make
> > the fighters more effective and the torpedoes. As they are they pretty
much
> > are a very bad choice.
>
> fighters are a difficult issue. they are the best weapon to take out
> monsters early on. (just 4ff against amoeba, 6 vs hydra and 8 vs
> crystal.)
>
> So you can make them smaller...but when they fit in a ff without
> battlepods any race could take out these monsters early on.

Why wait till fighters? That's not early. Mirved Nukes are quicker, cheaper
and lead you where you want to go.

dfs
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:47:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

O yes they are verry effective that way.
In a game a couple weeks ago I was engageing two tractor beam BB with 3
or 4 Neutron blaster BB's. The openent had a captured Anti matter torp
BB running to the corner fireing away at me and a runner ships with
warp disipater ran to another corner. I had to deal with cetral ships
as there where some weapons sys and I want ed to kill off marines to
keep the creatives powered armro troops from boarding me. I was only
in cent battle map for 2 or 3 rounds. But never got close enough to
hurt the Class 3 shield anti matter torped BB. It had evn ovlr torps.
OVRL is +50%
25*1,5=37
EVN is hits all 4 sides or 4x dmg
4*37=148
148 per torp hurt bad!!
yes it took me two tunrs to feel the pain I was suprised and realized
I would soon loose a BB, bbut stil didnt think it would kill off the my
fleet . But I lost em all before I could get a and solid dmg on that
hit n run AntiTorp BB.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 9:09:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 12:58:41 AM

> "On a space versus damage done they aren't.....I've done the math or
> the damage done."
>
> Well, I have also done some math. And the values are comparable to
> mirved missiles.

Good luck on getting them on the first shot. Missiles plain and later merved
are the best option in the very early game. I do used merve missiles in the
second slot with the first being a few non merv meant to absorb fire along
with the two shot option and the two shots at once option. After the very
early game missiles have to have emg or I want something much better.

> I have also some experience based on online multiplayer games. And I
> just quote some kali mainstream here now:
>
> "Alternates include Anti-Matter Torpedoes or Phasors. Anti-Matter
> Torpedoes are particularly useful if your opponent has chosen
> Cybertronic Computers or is Creative and is therefore capable of
> shooting down any missile salvos you are likely to launch."

And if you are in this position you are so, so deep in trouble.

Once lightening field/sheild is in play I'm not sure I can count on
missiles/torps. Though if you can get all the missiles out the door at once
with enough emg missiles in the third slot and enough merv in the second to
take down their shield you may be able to take them out but you may also
take an awful beating if they have a decent sized force to match you. I have
seen to many ships blown away with their missiles or torps in front of them.

I know that in the patched game two of the things that determine who gets
the first shot is beam tech and computer tech. A third is engine tech. The
level of missile and torp tech is not considered to the best of my
knowledge. I do not want to count on my ships being able to take two shots
from the other side before I can do them any harm.

Creative races can be very powerful given time unless somebody steals all
their tech. At the current pricing level a builder race can take them. I'd
put my money on uni.

> http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005_03_01_masterofo...
>
> Written by Cybersaber (a well known creative player on kali.)
>
> When u disagree....try a non-tolerant race against him. Poll proc and
> atmos are attractive early on. When you have taken them and realize
> that your opponent is surprisingly creative anti matter torps are
> almost a MUST HAVE.

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:07:50 AM

"David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:53:02 -0500, "deowll" <deowll@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"siron" <kakophoniker@gmx.de> wrote in message

>>> fighters are a difficult issue. they are the best weapon to take out
>>> monsters early on. (just 4ff against amoeba, 6 vs hydra and 8 vs
>>> crystal.)
>>>
>>> So you can make them smaller...but when they fit in a ff without
>>> battlepods any race could take out these monsters early on.
>>>
>>> but for battles: biggest problem......they are slower than missiles.
>>>
>>> enveloping anti matter torps are quite powerful. good choice.
>>
>>On a space versus damage done they aren't. They also don't hit on the same
>>turn fired. You basicly have to take two hits before your weapons arrive
>>in
>>many cases plus lightening shields take out half.
>
> It has been a while since I played that game, but as I recall,
> torpedos were effective when used as intended, which is to say sniping
> at long range to stay out of the range of the opposition's beam
> weapons, ideally cloaked between shots.

That works great against the computers with phasing cloak and no other
weapon. If you pull that stunt on a human they can go eat lunch, take a bath
and go to bed rather than let you get the free shot. Tie game.

If for some odd reason you actually get to fire first. In the patched game
you stay decloaked until after the other side fires. This can still work
after a fashion if you are cyber and can repair damage between decloakings.
Humans tend to fire at one ship until it is dead so cyber and repair
features are much less usful than against the AI.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:14:47 AM

"StepNRazor" <hurdjg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>O yes they are verry effective that way.
> In a game a couple weeks ago I was engageing two tractor beam BB with 3
> or 4 Neutron blaster BB's. The openent had a captured Anti matter torp
> BB running to the corner fireing away at me and a runner ships with
> warp disipater ran to another corner. I had to deal with cetral ships
> as there where some weapons sys and I want ed to kill off marines to
> keep the creatives powered armro troops from boarding me. I was only
> in cent battle map for 2 or 3 rounds. But never got close enough to
> hurt the Class 3 shield anti matter torped BB. It had evn ovlr torps.
> OVRL is +50%
> 25*1,5=37
> EVN is hits all 4 sides or 4x dmg
> 4*37=148
> 148 per torp hurt bad!!
> yes it took me two tunrs to feel the pain I was suprised and realized
> I would soon loose a BB, bbut stil didnt think it would kill off the my
> fleet . But I lost em all before I could get a and solid dmg on that
> hit n run AntiTorp BB.

Okay, maybe I'm underestimating these things when combined with the
unlimited range feature and the phasing cloak. Lightening shields and enough
antimissile electronics might have stopped or greatly reduced the damage but
it is a sissors, rock, stone thing. You can only do so much to a ship in
defence before you cripple the offence and you don't always have all the
tech.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:16:15 AM

"David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in message
news:D 8uhm2$njf$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> "siron" <kakophoniker@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> deowll schrieb:
>>
>> > Um. I've never edited the way the game works. Sorry. I'd like to try to
> make
>> > the fighters more effective and the torpedoes. As they are they pretty
> much
>> > are a very bad choice.
>>
>> fighters are a difficult issue. they are the best weapon to take out
>> monsters early on. (just 4ff against amoeba, 6 vs hydra and 8 vs
>> crystal.)
>>
>> So you can make them smaller...but when they fit in a ff without
>> battlepods any race could take out these monsters early on.
>
> Why wait till fighters? That's not early. Mirved Nukes are quicker,
> cheaper
> and lead you where you want to go.
>
> dfs

Agreed.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:22:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 9:36:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:07:50 -0500, "deowll" <deowll@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>> It has been a while since I played that game, but as I recall,
>> torpedos were effective when used as intended, which is to say sniping
>> at long range to stay out of the range of the opposition's beam
>> weapons, ideally cloaked between shots.
>>

>That works great against the computers with phasing cloak and no other
>weapon. If you pull that stunt on a human they can go eat lunch, take a bath
>and go to bed rather than let you get the free shot. Tie game.

I don't understand what you are saying, perhaps because I've never
played against a human.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:06:47 PM

> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:07:50 -0500, "deowll" <deowll@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> It has been a while since I played that game, but as I recall,
>>> torpedos were effective when used as intended, which is to say sniping
>>> at long range to stay out of the range of the opposition's beam
>>> weapons, ideally cloaked between shots.
>>>

>>That works great against the computers with phasing cloak and no other
>>weapon. If you pull that stunt on a human they can go eat lunch, take a
>>bath
>>and go to bed rather than let you get the free shot. Tie game.
>
> I don't understand what you are saying, perhaps because I've never
> played against a human.

Me neither but I remember when this was a hot news group and even have some
old files. In the patched game with initatiive on your tech level in certain
areas determine who shoots first. If you show up with an invisible fleet or
the human player notices invisible ships they don't have to click done on
all their ships and you can't do anything. The game is hung. The computer
will click done so you get to use your toys after their turn is over and
they don't get to shoot at you.

In the patched game with initiative on or even if it isn't if you go first
then the phasing cloak stays down until after the other side gets to fire.

In real life with a long range weapon and in the game against a human you
would fire the things from long range and run like crazy for one turn while
the fleet moved in on where you had been then decloak and fire again then
run like crazy. Phasing cloak will break missile and trop lock ons.
One trick with phasing cloak is to park a missile hauler against a beamer
and unload your missiles directly into them. If I recall right they will hit
on the first turn and the point defense may be moot but I've never actually
tried that stunt.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:14:23 PM

"deowll" <deowll@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "StepNRazor" <hurdjg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>O yes they are verry effective that way.
>> In a game a couple weeks ago I was engageing two tractor beam BB with 3
>> or 4 Neutron blaster BB's. The openent had a captured Anti matter torp
>> BB running to the corner fireing away at me and a runner ships with
>> warp disipater ran to another corner. I had to deal with cetral ships
>> as there where some weapons sys and I want ed to kill off marines to
>> keep the creatives powered armro troops from boarding me. I was only
>> in cent battle map for 2 or 3 rounds. But never got close enough to
>> hurt the Class 3 shield anti matter torped BB. It had evn ovlr torps.
>> OVRL is +50%
>> 25*1,5=37
>> EVN is hits all 4 sides or 4x dmg
>> 4*37=148
>> 148 per torp hurt bad!!
>> yes it took me two tunrs to feel the pain I was suprised and realized
>> I would soon loose a BB, bbut stil didnt think it would kill off the my
>> fleet . But I lost em all before I could get a and solid dmg on that
>> hit n run AntiTorp BB.
>>
> Okay, maybe I'm underestimating these things when combined with the
> unlimited range feature and the phasing cloak. Lightening shields and
> enough antimissile electronics might have stopped or greatly reduced the
> damage but it is a sissors, rock, stone thing. You can only do so much to
> a ship in defence before you cripple the offence and you don't always have
> all the tech.

To be fair you can nearly all ways take out a stronger computer player by
making titians, battle ships will work but much smaller and you may drag
things out a lot, with phasing cloak torps and no beam weapons and sending
in one or two. You blockade or if you have the fire power blow away the
planet. The AI will show up with whatever they have to blow you away and you
kill their fleet. You do need the 4 turns to get to your planet and the
portal to move all available forces to any of your systems they might attack
just in case they don't want to wait and move all of their fleet to the
threatened system. If you have the range you can take out their capital
which always puts a major hurt on them to start the war.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:45:45 PM

deowll wrote:
> "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message

>>deowll wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>>>I think they should have left the assualt shuttles alone as well. Ion
>>>cannon
>>>should not have been quite so badly damaged.
>>
>>Take two or three battleships packed with shuttles, and you can take
>>over a single small Antaren ship early on it the game. If it doesn't
>>blow up (50% chance), you can scrap it for tech and win the game easily.
>>
>>Shuttles are also cool with Telepathic, but
>>teleporter+transporters+trooppods is better of course (and higher tech).
>>Tractorbeam (x ship size) also helps as you won't need the transporters
>>then. Just fix up something heavy to punch through the shield. Then some
>>(heavy) Neutron Blasters to kill off most troups and then invade! It is
>>a fun way of playing MOO2 IMNSHO.
>>
>>Also works against computer players if you are feudal. It is a fast way
>>to get tech (and ships).
>>
>>Challenge, try playing feudal with little population set on research.
>>Use telepathic+20spy bonus and steal (and blame) your way through the
>>game! Also use stronger ground troops if you can spare the points..
>>
>>Thomas
>

> Um, I'd say you still need to do the research to make your spies better but
> you can do a lot of damage unless the computer rolls the dice against you at
> an inopportune moment. It sounds like fun!

A lot of people don't know it, but telepathic is +10 spying also :-)
You'll rob everyone blind!

Thomas
--
"You can't be safer, can't be more secure than with a breast in each
palm, that's the way I was born and that's the way I want to die" -
Sugarcubes, Mama, 1988
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:45:46 PM

> deowll wrote:
>> "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message

>>>deowll wrote:
>>><snip>

>>>Take two or three battleships packed with shuttles, and you can take
>>>over a single small Antaren ship early on it the game. If it doesn't
>>>blow up (50% chance), you can scrap it for tech and win the game easily.
>>>
>>>Shuttles are also cool with Telepathic, but
>>>teleporter+transporters+trooppods is better of course (and higher tech).
>>>Tractorbeam (x ship size) also helps as you won't need the transporters
>>>then. Just fix up something heavy to punch through the shield. Then some
>>>(heavy) Neutron Blasters to kill off most troups and then invade! It is
>>>a fun way of playing MOO2 IMNSHO.
>>>
>>>Also works against computer players if you are feudal. It is a fast way
>>>to get tech (and ships).
>>>
>>>Challenge, try playing feudal with little population set on research.
>>>Use telepathic+20spy bonus and steal (and blame) your way through the
>>>game! Also use stronger ground troops if you can spare the points..
>>>
>>>Thomas
>>

>> Um, I'd say you still need to do the research to make your spies better
>> but you can do a lot of damage unless the computer rolls the dice against
>> you at an inopportune moment. It sounds like fun!
>
> A lot of people don't know it, but telepathic is +10 spying also :-)
> You'll rob everyone blind!

And it doesn't hurt if you can get one of the helpers who brings along a
bonus.

> Thomas
> --
> "You can't be safer, can't be more secure than with a breast in each
> palm, that's the way I was born and that's the way I want to die" -
> Sugarcubes, Mama, 1988
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 6:35:56 PM

deowll wrote:
> "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>deowll wrote:
>>
>>>"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote in message

>>>Um, I'd say you still need to do the research to make your spies better
>>>but you can do a lot of damage unless the computer rolls the dice against
>>>you at an inopportune moment. It sounds like fun!
>>
>>A lot of people don't know it, but telepathic is +10 spying also :-)
>>You'll rob everyone blind!
>>

> And it doesn't hurt if you can get one of the helpers who brings along a
> bonus.

Assassins are very cool :-) My sister loved them more than anyone else
in the game! (still, she was never a really good match for me, but that
is what race picks like Feudal are for IMO),
Thomas
--
"You can't be safer, can't be more secure than with a breast in each
palm, that's the way I was born and that's the way I want to die" -
Sugarcubes, Mama, 1988
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:45:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:06:47 -0500, "deowll" <deowll@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>"David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

>>>That works great against the computers with phasing cloak and no other
>>>weapon. If you pull that stunt on a human they can go eat lunch, take a
>>>bath
>>>and go to bed rather than let you get the free shot. Tie game.
>>
>> I don't understand what you are saying, perhaps because I've never
>> played against a human.
>>

>Me neither but I remember when this was a hot news group and even have some
>old files. In the patched game with initatiive on your tech level in certain
>areas determine who shoots first. If you show up with an invisible fleet or
>the human player notices invisible ships they don't have to click done on
>all their ships and you can't do anything. The game is hung.

Uh... Why would he do that?
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:54:37 AM

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:06:47 -0500, "deowll" <deowll@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

>>> I don't understand what you are saying, perhaps because I've never
>>> played against a human.
>>>

>>Me neither but I remember when this was a hot news group and even have
>>some
>>old files. In the patched game with initatiive on your tech level in
>>certain
>>areas determine who shoots first. If you show up with an invisible fleet
>>or
>>the human player notices invisible ships they don't have to click done on
>>all their ships and you can't do anything. The game is hung.
>
> Uh... Why would he do that?

At one time they banned phasing cloak during human to human play. I'm not
sure if they still do or not. Without turn doubler it isn't all that hot. It
can work though. I just finished a game in which I didn't build a ship that
used a beam. Started with missiles and ended up with plasma webs and torps.
Oops! I got solar converter from the other side and did use a few in the
100+ fleet that took out anteries. They did speed things up a little but I
truly doubt if they were needed. It was raining torps and plasma webs. I
left the two human systems.

To be fair in this game I could have taken them with missiles alone. Nobody
developed heavy planetary shields. I ended up Imperium warlord with most of
the planets before I started shooting. Feudal won't hack it once that
happens and neither will democratic. I'm sure I let the game run a lot
longer than I needed to. I could have just run up the missile tree and blown
everybody away. You can sometimes get away with junk like that in young
galaxy early start when you play lith tol. The AI did get some decent
computers which I acquired and didn't use. The numbers were all on my side.
July 5, 2005 9:50:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

"Good luck on getting them on the first shot."

well....add a battlescanner and some pd if u want ini. ini is
fine...but not always decisive in MP.

"I do used merve missiles in the second slot with the first being a few
non merv meant to absorb fire along
with the two shot option and the two shots at once option."

these tactics are well known...nevertheless...a good comp gives u
option to shot down missiles from distance. (and thats more important
than the lightning field which is not that useful.
actually any non-crea race should research warp ints.)

"I know that in the patched game two of the things that determine who
gets the first shot is beam tech and computer tech."

not beam tech. ini value is BOCV/10+COMBAT SPEED. and when u research
torps....u have also nice option to get ini with hyper drive or
megafluxers (empty space improves combat speed)
July 5, 2005 9:52:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.moo2 (More info?)

AFAIK just one side decloacks after 10 turns. Because of this bug
phasing cloack is banned in MP games.
!