Antec Truepower "Fan-only" connectors only 5V ?!

spiceisland

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
Anyone use the "fan-only" power connectors with an Antec Truepower 430W (UK)? My case fans don't spin when connected to them! They DO spin when connected to the regular "always-on" power connectors. Antec manual says fan-only connectors output 12V, but Antec email support asserts this is really only 5V, and my multimeter agrees! Can you GET case fans rated at 5V?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I've never seen 5 volt fans... most won't spin up on much less than 7.

It sounds pretty stupid to make a power supply with connectors nobody can use...

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
It is because the Fan Only lines are controlled by the thermal resistor inside the PSU box. As the temp inside the PSU increases so will the voltage on those lines up to a max of 12 volts. It is part of the smart thermal quiet fans stuff. A pretty crap setup though if you ask me for outside the PSU. Leads to hot spots in the case. And yes I have seen 5 volt case fans a long time ago. 80MM ones. Solid steel construction. No plastic in sight.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

spiceisland

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
Thanks, that's what I thought. It's a shame no-one from Antec can confirm this, though. US support says my PSU must be faulty and to return it. European support says that I need 5V case-fans !?

There must be thousands of these PSUs out there. Does anyone use these "fan-only" connectors, or are they universally thought of as a "bad idea"?

And if you do use them, has your case temp. ever got hot enough for the PSU to switch them on?

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
No I have never used them myself. It is just something I figured out that would happen and was later confirmed from reading a few reviews. Becuase the thermal resistor is in the PSU itself it is inevitable for there to devolope hot spots because they are not dectected by the thermal resistor so the fan speed is not increased.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

Not only do I not use them, cause I want my fans constant, I wish they had externally supplied a switch on the P/S to give you the option of using the thermostatically controlled P/S internal fans or not.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>