This seems odd to me, a site that mirrors rec.audio.pro

Last response: in Home Audio
March 10, 2005 4:08:50 PM

http://www.audio-forum.net/

http://www.audio-forum.net/pro/

While it might be useful for some people in certain situations it seems a
lot less useful than using Google. Are they just trying to build up a site
using Usenet content so they can get advertising money or?

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message
> http://www.audio-forum.net/
>
> http://www.audio-forum.net/pro/
>
> While it might be useful for some people in certain situations it seems a
> lot less useful than using Google. Are they just trying to build up a site
> using Usenet content so they can get advertising money or?
>
> --
> John L Rice
> Drummer@ImJohn.com

Actually, alot of sites are doing this. There is one that mirrors the Car
Audio group too, I personally consider this bad practice. The point is to
pretty much start a forum with no work involved.

Jim
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:58:56 PM

"Jim" wrote...
> Actually, alot of sites are doing this. There is one that mirrors the Car
> Audio group too, I personally consider this bad practice. The point is to
> pretty much start a forum with no work involved.

It might help people participate who can't figure how to use
Usenet directly. Not sure that is a good thing. :-)
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:58:57 PM

"Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message
news:D 0qgmd$hig$1@news01.intel.com...
> "Jim" wrote...
>> Actually, alot of sites are doing this. There is one that mirrors the Car
>> Audio group too, I personally consider this bad practice. The point is to
>> pretty much start a forum with no work involved.
>
> It might help people participate who can't figure how to use
> Usenet directly. Not sure that is a good thing. :-)

Well, there's also the fact that your words are being posted on web sites
without your permission. Google does this, but they also allow you to remove
your posts from their archives. They also abide by the no-archive directive. I'm
wondering what happens when you request your posts be deleted from one of those
web sites.

John
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:35:26 PM

In article <d0qgmd$hig$1@news01.intel.com> richard.7.crowley@intel.com writes:

> It might help people participate who can't figure how to use
> Usenet directly. Not sure that is a good thing. :-)

Definitely not a good thing. I'm getting more e-mail that starts out
"I saw your post on . . . . . (someplace I've never posted) and maybe
you can help me." I've become accustomed to "I saw your post on
Google..." but this is something new.

To anyone not reading this post on the real rec.audio.pro Usenet
newsgroup, get your ass over there and get real.

March 11, 2005 7:35:28 AM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:33:05 -0600, "John_LeBlanc"
<john__leblanc@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message
>news:D 0qgmd$hig$1@news01.intel.com...
>> "Jim" wrote...
>>> Actually, alot of sites are doing this. There is one that mirrors the Car
>>> Audio group too, I personally consider this bad practice. The point is to
>>> pretty much start a forum with no work involved.
>>
>> It might help people participate who can't figure how to use
>> Usenet directly. Not sure that is a good thing. :-)
>
>Well, there's also the fact that your words are being posted on web sites
>without your permission. Google does this, but they also allow you to remove
>your posts from their archives. They also abide by the no-archive directive. I'm
>wondering what happens when you request your posts be deleted from one of those
>web sites.

Probably what happens is a bit of demonic laughter (add reverb to
taste, over-the-top is okay here) just before they delete your email.
If they have time, more laughter after they delete it as well.

Here's a similar site, ISTR we've discussed it before, it likely
has the very same soundtrack:

http://talkaboutaudio.com/

>John

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:35:29 AM

> Here's a similar site, ISTR we've discussed it before, it likely
>has the very same soundtrack:

>http://talkaboutaudio.com/

I've just registered, it was easier than I thought, just nickname and
email address, then it emails you your password, though it didn't take the
email address shown, apparently it has a database of addresses already
posted to Usenet and you can't use any of those. I used a different one
(that also gets to me), then did the thing where it allows you to mung
("modify public email") your posting address.

And no, in case you're wondering, this is NOT a test message, it's a
message in which I'm informing RAP readers about this service. ;-)

Hmm, it only has "Submit Message" and "Reset" buttons, no "Preview"
button. What if I make a typo...
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:13:31 PM

John_LeBlanc wrote:
> Well, there's also the fact that your words are being posted on web
sites
> without your permission. Google does this, but they also allow you to
remove
> your posts from their archives. They also abide by the no-archive
directive. I'm
> wondering what happens when you request your posts be deleted from
one of those
> web sites.

I'm not so sure I like the fact that you can request your posts be
archived. Part of the appeal of Usenet discourse (for me) is
accountability; stupid folks are forever punished by an eternal
archived reminder of their stupidity!
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:13:23 PM

Great to see you back, Fletcher!

Fletcher wrote:
> Richard Crowley Wrote:
> > It might help people participate who can't figure how to use Usenet
> > directly. Not sure that is a good thing. :-)
>
> Maybe you're right... I'm one of the people who hasn't been able to
> figure out how to use Usenet directly for the past couple of years...
> hence my lack of participation in rec.audio.pro.
>
> I bumped into a site called "audiobanter" that lead me back to
> rec.audio.pro... is this a good thing? ...or a bad thing? I'm not
> sure... but here I am particpating on r.a.p for the first time in a
few
> years.
>
> http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=52544
>

> --
> Fletcher
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:53:00 PM

Richard Crowley Wrote:
> It might help people participate who can't figure how to use Usenet
> directly. Not sure that is a good thing. :-)

Maybe you're right... I'm one of the people who hasn't been able to
figure out how to use Usenet directly for the past couple of years...
hence my lack of participation in rec.audio.pro.

I bumped into a site called "audiobanter" that lead me back to
rec.audio.pro... is this a good thing? ...or a bad thing? I'm not
sure... but here I am particpating on r.a.p for the first time in a few
years.

http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=52544

--
Fletcher
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:57:03 PM

"Buster Mudd" <mr_furious@mail.com> wrote in message

> I'm not so sure I like the fact that you can request your posts be
> archived. Part of the appeal of Usenet discourse (for me) is
> accountability; stupid folks are forever punished by an eternal
> archived reminder of their stupidity!

Well, no-archive has been part of Usenet for quite a while, but I'm with you on
this. But I'd go a step further and suggest people should be using their real
names when posting, too. But back here in the real world...

So far as I know, posting to Usenet is not deemed putting something in the
public domain. You have to do that explicitly. What you write is yours and
covered by copyright.

There is a distinction to be made, though: providing transitive, temporary web
access to Usenet, and maintaining an archive. The former, in my opinion, is just
another color of Usenet. You post to Usenet, you expect other machines to play
the store-and-forward game until messages expire. (Expiration is another matter.
My news service has some 200,000 RAP posts going back nearly a year still ready
to download as though they were posted yesterday.) The latter -- archiving -- on
the other hand, is something altogether different. Add in commercial gain and
that's yet another layer.

While Google -- and Deja before them -- used Usenet archives for commercial
purposes, they were very clear that you may remove anything you yourself have
posted. Now, removing follow-ups that quote what you wrote is between you and
the guy(s) who quoted you.

Given the climate over the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and NET act, my guess
is these independent web sites would do well to happily honor removal requests
on any archived material. DMCA is a big, long, heavy stick. I can't imagine any
of those sites sell enough banner ads to make a challenge worth the trouble.

John
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:42:58 PM

In article <Fletcher.1lqhdm@audiobanter.com> Fletcher.1lqhdm@audiobanter.com writes:

> Maybe you're right... I'm one of the people who hasn't been able to
> figure out how to use Usenet directly for the past couple of years...
> hence my lack of participation in rec.audio.pro.
>
> I bumped into a site called "audiobanter" that lead me back to
> rec.audio.pro... is this a good thing? ...

For you, I'll make an exception - If it gets you back into the fray,
it's a good thing.

March 11, 2005 6:42:59 PM

On 11 Mar 2005 15:42:58 -0500, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

>In article <Fletcher.1lqhdm@audiobanter.com> Fletcher.1lqhdm@audiobanter.com writes:
>
>> Maybe you're right... I'm one of the people who hasn't been able to
>> figure out how to use Usenet directly for the past couple of years...
>> hence my lack of participation in rec.audio.pro.
>>
>> I bumped into a site called "audiobanter" that lead me back to
>> rec.audio.pro... is this a good thing? ...
>

>For you, I'll make an exception - If it gets you back into the fray,
>it's a good thing.

Amen to that!

Al
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 8:39:46 PM

Hi Fletcher,

Good to see you around these parts again. I tried to email you once or
twice ( and Sue to find out if the girls were selling cookies! ) but they
would always bounce. I assumed that maybe you changed your email addresses
because of spam etc.

Anyway AudioBanter appears to be set up nicer and more functional than the
one I mentioned.

FYI : If you want to use Google to hit rec.audio.pro just go to
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro You can browse all you
like but to reply you'll need to sign up for a user ID just like AudioBanter
etc.

--
John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Fletcher" <Fletcher.1lqhdm@audiobanter.com> wrote in message

> Richard Crowley Wrote:
>> It might help people participate who can't figure how to use Usenet
>> directly. Not sure that is a good thing. :-)
>
> Maybe you're right... I'm one of the people who hasn't been able to
> figure out how to use Usenet directly for the past couple of years...
> hence my lack of participation in rec.audio.pro.
>
> I bumped into a site called "audiobanter" that lead me back to
> rec.audio.pro... is this a good thing? ...or a bad thing? I'm not
> sure... but here I am particpating on r.a.p for the first time in a few
> years.
>
> http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=52544
>

> --
> Fletcher
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:57:32 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:53:00 +0000, Fletcher
<Fletcher.1lqhdm@audiobanter.com> wrote:

>Richard Crowley Wrote:
>> It might help people participate who can't figure how to use Usenet
>> directly. Not sure that is a good thing. :-)
>
>Maybe you're right... I'm one of the people who hasn't been able to
>figure out how to use Usenet directly for the past couple of years...
>hence my lack of participation in rec.audio.pro.
>
>I bumped into a site called "audiobanter" that lead me back to
>rec.audio.pro... is this a good thing? ...or a bad thing? I'm not
>sure... but here I am particpating on r.a.p for the first time in a few
>years.
>
>http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=52544

Welcome back,Fletcher.It just isnt the same unless we get to se ya
tell someone to go F their mother on occasion ! Adds a little
character to the group.
peace
Randall
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:10:18 AM

In article <2r9431dj0jvaaqu37sik0amdou8moe4773@4ax.com>,
play on <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 11 Mar 2005 15:42:58 -0500, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
> wrote:
>

> >In article <Fletcher.1lqhdm@audiobanter.com> Fletcher.1lqhdm@audiobanter.com
> >writes:
> >
> >> Maybe you're right... I'm one of the people who hasn't been able to
> >> figure out how to use Usenet directly for the past couple of years...
> >> hence my lack of participation in rec.audio.pro.
> >>
> >> I bumped into a site called "audiobanter" that lead me back to
> >> rec.audio.pro... is this a good thing? ...
> >

> >For you, I'll make an exception - If it gets you back into the fray,
> >it's a good thing.
>
> Amen to that!
>
> Al

Fletcher, you've been sorely missed....

Jeff C. (you probably don't know me...)

--
Anti-Spam email address in effect.
My real email should be pretty obvious to an actual human being.

Willie K.Yee, M.D. wrote:

> Back when I first logged on to this group, I made the presumptuous
> move of emailing F saying that his writing style might put off
> potential customers. He blistered my screen with a message flaming me,
> my town, my ancestors, my private parts, etc. etc. etc.

Tough to teach an old dog new tricks.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:14:59 PM

On 2005-03-11 Fletcher.1lqhdm@audiobanter.com said:
>Richard Crowley Wrote: > It might help people participate who can't
>figure how to use Usenet> directly. Not sure that is a good Maybe
>you're right... I'm one of the people who hasn't been able tofigure
>out how to use Usenet directly for the past couple of I bumped into
>a site called "audiobanter" that lead me back torec.audio.pro... is
>this a good thing? ...or a bad thing?
In your case a good thing. You've been missed.

Thank God Bellsouth still offers a regular nntp access to usenet or
I'd be SOL here as well.

For most however I'd say that for folks who aren't familiar with how
to use usenet it's not a good thing.
Btw welcome back, however you interface with usenet!!!

Richard Webb,
Electric SPider Productions, New Orleans, La.
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

Braille: support true literacy for the blind!
Anonymous

You should be able to set your news reader to X-archive=no, or somesuch and
eliminate your concerns about being archived. I can't really say that what
I've written above is the correct method, but there's something within any
newsreader that should allow you to eliminate your words coming back to
haunt you.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Buster Mudd" <mr_furious@mail.com> wrote in message

> John_LeBlanc wrote:
> > Well, there's also the fact that your words are being posted on web
> sites
> > without your permission. Google does this, but they also allow you to
> remove
> > your posts from their archives. They also abide by the no-archive
> directive. I'm
> > wondering what happens when you request your posts be deleted from
> one of those
> > web sites.
>

> I'm not so sure I like the fact that you can request your posts be
> archived. Part of the appeal of Usenet discourse (for me) is
> accountability; stupid folks are forever punished by an eternal
> archived reminder of their stupidity!

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 3:54:49 AM

You are always welcome back here, no matter how you got here.

But your post proves my point. If it's necessary to observe "rules" then
the idea has gone away.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/

"Fletcher" <Fletcher.1lqhdm@audiobanter.com> wrote in message

> Richard Crowley Wrote:
> > It might help people participate who can't figure how to use Usenet
> > directly. Not sure that is a good thing. :-)
>
> Maybe you're right... I'm one of the people who hasn't been able to
> figure out how to use Usenet directly for the past couple of years...
> hence my lack of participation in rec.audio.pro.
>
> I bumped into a site called "audiobanter" that lead me back to
> rec.audio.pro... is this a good thing? ...or a bad thing? I'm not
> sure... but here I am particpating on r.a.p for the first time in a few
> years.
>
> http://www.audiobanter.com/showthread.php?t=52544
>

> --
> Fletcher
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 6:22:55 PM

Joe Sensor wrote:

> So what's with the *****? The Fletcher I remember would just let it all
> hang out.

Sue has some 'ware on the box that's to protect sensitive young minds
from verbal pollution. Enjoy it, as it's just another wonderful element
of random entertainment, as in the 'ware finding the twat in
swee-twat-er. That's just really good.

The monkeys typing Shakespeare thing might work out yet.

--
ha
Anonymous

John L Rice wrote:

> I'll try again but the last couple times I tried to email you, and once to
> Sue, the email bounced back. Maybe I'm blocked or something? ( a couple
> people here on RAP told me they received and email from me that contained a
> virus but I didn't send the email or the virus. Maybe what ever protection
> you have setup auto blocked me? )

Or maybe your last name makes his filter think of Honda motorcycles.

The virus was sent from the computer of someone to whom you sent email,
your name in their addy book. Everybody there got it.

--
ha
Anonymous

> Hi Fletcher,
>
> I'll try again but the last couple times I tried to email you, and once to
> Sue, the email bounced back. Maybe I'm blocked or something? ( a couple

Maybe Fletcher's 'puter has a rude-filter on it, which bounces all his
emails back into it !

geoff
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 4:03:34 AM

> John L Rice wrote:
>
>> I'll try again but the last couple times I tried to email you, and once
>> Sue, the email bounced back. Maybe I'm blocked or something? ( a couple
>> people here on RAP told me they received and email from me that contained
>> virus but I didn't send the email or the virus. Maybe what ever
>> protection
>> you have setup auto blocked me? )
>
> Or maybe your last name makes his filter think of Honda motorcycles.

More likely my name is associated with PreSonus . . . not sure which would
be less tolerated ;-)

John
!