Heroes 3 with MS optical mouse

Hi all

Having recently dicovered the wonderful world of Heroes 3 I decided to
connect some older machines for network play. (which is fantastic btw)

My niggling problem is with the usb optical mouse on the P400 (win98)
machine keeps cutting out after about 1-2 hours of play, same thing
occurs with the others. The easy if rather crude fix is just to unplug
and re-connect the mouse to the hub - but is this something to do with
the 1.4 patched verion or something else.

I spose I could just use a non usb trackball mouse, with optical
technology the old trackball system is now annoying. Any helpful
suggestions?

Mike

"mikepro" <michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Having recently dicovered the wonderful world of Heroes 3 I decided to
> connect some older machines for network play. (which is fantastic btw)
>
> My niggling problem is with the usb optical mouse on the P400 (win98)
> machine keeps cutting out after about 1-2 hours of play, same thing
> occurs with the others. The easy if rather crude fix is just to unplug
> and re-connect the mouse to the hub - but is this something to do with
> the 1.4 patched verion or something else.
>
> I spose I could just use a non usb trackball mouse, with optical
> technology the old trackball system is now annoying. Any helpful
> suggestions?

The MS optical mouse I bought came with a usb to mouseport adapter. I don't
run any of my mice on the usb port. I've never had a problem with the mouse
cutting out. It sounds as if your usb port has problems, not the game
software. A celeron, pII or pIII system should still have a mouseport on the
back, try hooking up to it.

Yeah, it seems like it was the hub after all.
It has yet to happen since connecting it directly to the pc. Shame,
that was a good looking hub...
Thanks for the suggestions.

Staying with Heroes3, I'm finding the single player scenarios quite
difficult even on the easy setting - in particular to produce units
more quickly. Would it make more tactical sense to hire more heroes to
explore for more resources?
After about 3-4 months I'm set upon by heroes with far more troops...

In article <1117210493.352839.158600@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk says...
> Hi all
>
> Having recently dicovered the wonderful world of Heroes 3 I decided to
> connect some older machines for network play. (which is fantastic btw)
>
> My niggling problem is with the usb optical mouse on the P400 (win98)
> machine keeps cutting out after about 1-2 hours of play, same thing
> occurs with the others. The easy if rather crude fix is just to unplug
> and re-connect the mouse to the hub - but is this something to do with
> the 1.4 patched verion or something else.
>
> I spose I could just use a non usb trackball mouse, with optical
> technology the old trackball system is now annoying. Any helpful
> suggestions?
>
> Mike

Try putting a usb -> ps/2 adapter on the mouse's tail to see if that
makes a difference?

Only mouse problem I ever had with Heroes 3 was the batteries in my
mouse (Logitec cordless optical) running dry ;-)

-Peter

mikepro <michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Staying with Heroes3, I'm finding the single player scenarios quite
> difficult even on the easy setting - in particular to produce units
> more quickly. Would it make more tactical sense to hire more heroes to
> explore for more resources?
> After about 3-4 months I'm set upon by heroes with far more troops...

3-4 *weeks* or 3-4 *months*? Most maps should be done within a couple
of months.

In some situations you can get the level 5 creatures by the end of the
first week. Whether you go for creature quantities or creature dwellings
during the first week depends on your available resources, the resources
required for your particular creature dwellings, the proximity of the
computer players, and how strong the "random" monster guards are.

So long as you build one castle improvement every day, you'll be in pretty
good shape. Getting the order right takes some experimentation.

Hiring a second hero immediately is pretty common (especially since you
can group their starter-monsters together, leaving you with a fighting
hero and a pick-up-stuff hero). For a few maps you may want a third,
but that 2500 gold is usually best spent elsewhere in the first 2 weeks.

If you're getting frustrated, try a "reveal all" cheat to see where
everything is. (Study the map, then restart.) Discovering that the blue
opponent has 3 castles to your one is a strong hint that you need to be
capturing one of them before the end of week 2 (preferrably on day 7).
The longer you wait, the worse off you'll be.

--
Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/

In article <1117289224.687883.28850@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk says...

> Staying with Heroes3, I'm finding the single player scenarios quite
> difficult even on the easy setting - in particular to produce units
> more quickly. Would it make more tactical sense to hire more heroes to
> explore for more resources?
> After about 3-4 months I'm set upon by heroes with far more troops...

It's nearly always a good idea to hire a second hero immediately.
Indeed, if you are on easy setting, you start with more gold AFAIK, so
you could make this a rule. Usually you will give most of the army to
one hero, and use the other for picking up resources, bringing troops
to the main fighting hero, sitting in a castle with artefacts such as
the 'legs of legion', and so forth.

For a long time there won't be enough for a third hero to do.

For do-nothing heroes, skills like 'Estates' etc. are useful. Choose
the better fighter of the first two to build up. It may be useful
eventually to have two good fighters, but after a few months you can
build up any hero rapidly by giving him a big army and having him crush
a medium-sized army. Lots of artefacts improve fighting skills, so
give these to your main hero.

I usually build a magic library right away so the main hero has a few
spells to start him off. After that you usually decide whether to go
for gold or monsters. If your problems occur only after months, you
could start with gold, i.e. town hall, castle etc. Depending on the
race you will probably do a few monster builds in the first week anyway
- tower forces will build upgraded gremlin factories, swamp guys will
go for wyverns. The good-value troops that can have your hero
exploring at a good pace while you build the gold-producing buildings.

You do need to expand in this game, so long as you can do so without
too many losses. There will usually be neutral castles you can
capture, and the sooner you find and take these, the sooner they have
town halls adding to your wealth.

In the longer term, the strategy for the human player is often based on
attrition of superior forces. The AIs will split their forces into
several medium-size stacks. As you defeat these, making sure to kill a
lot of monsters without losing many of your own, you weaken him - even
if you still have to run from his best hero. If you have the artefact
'shackles' (I can't remember shackles of what) you can force enemy
heroes to fight to the death and claim their artefacts. You can also do
this in most castles - it's one of the main reasons for taking castles,
in fact.

So - keep the gold flowing - expand reasonably fast - keep your troops
alive - attrit the enemy - these are the main things I would be mindful
of.

Don't be *too* cautions with your troops, however. Sometimes you must
take losses because delay would be more costly. And of course if you
play as the undead you can be more blase about the whole death thing...

- Gerry Quinn