Heroes 3 with MS optical mouse

Hi all

Having recently dicovered the wonderful world of Heroes 3 I decided to
connect some older machines for network play. (which is fantastic btw)

My niggling problem is with the usb optical mouse on the P400 (win98)
machine keeps cutting out after about 1-2 hours of play, same thing
occurs with the others. The easy if rather crude fix is just to unplug
and re-connect the mouse to the hub - but is this something to do with
the 1.4 patched verion or something else.

I spose I could just use a non usb trackball mouse, with optical
technology the old trackball system is now annoying. Any helpful
suggestions?

Mike
5 answers Last reply
More about heroes optical mouse
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "mikepro" <michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Having recently dicovered the wonderful world of Heroes 3 I decided to
    > connect some older machines for network play. (which is fantastic btw)
    >
    > My niggling problem is with the usb optical mouse on the P400 (win98)
    > machine keeps cutting out after about 1-2 hours of play, same thing
    > occurs with the others. The easy if rather crude fix is just to unplug
    > and re-connect the mouse to the hub - but is this something to do with
    > the 1.4 patched verion or something else.
    >
    > I spose I could just use a non usb trackball mouse, with optical
    > technology the old trackball system is now annoying. Any helpful
    > suggestions?

    The MS optical mouse I bought came with a usb to mouseport adapter. I don't
    run any of my mice on the usb port. I've never had a problem with the mouse
    cutting out. It sounds as if your usb port has problems, not the game
    software. A celeron, pII or pIII system should still have a mouseport on the
    back, try hooking up to it.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Yeah, it seems like it was the hub after all.
    It has yet to happen since connecting it directly to the pc. Shame,
    that was a good looking hub...
    Thanks for the suggestions.

    Staying with Heroes3, I'm finding the single player scenarios quite
    difficult even on the easy setting - in particular to produce units
    more quickly. Would it make more tactical sense to hire more heroes to
    explore for more resources?
    After about 3-4 months I'm set upon by heroes with far more troops...
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <1117210493.352839.158600@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk says...
    > Hi all
    >
    > Having recently dicovered the wonderful world of Heroes 3 I decided to
    > connect some older machines for network play. (which is fantastic btw)
    >
    > My niggling problem is with the usb optical mouse on the P400 (win98)
    > machine keeps cutting out after about 1-2 hours of play, same thing
    > occurs with the others. The easy if rather crude fix is just to unplug
    > and re-connect the mouse to the hub - but is this something to do with
    > the 1.4 patched verion or something else.
    >
    > I spose I could just use a non usb trackball mouse, with optical
    > technology the old trackball system is now annoying. Any helpful
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Mike

    Try putting a usb -> ps/2 adapter on the mouse's tail to see if that
    makes a difference?

    Only mouse problem I ever had with Heroes 3 was the batteries in my
    mouse (Logitec cordless optical) running dry ;-)

    -Peter
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    mikepro <michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > Staying with Heroes3, I'm finding the single player scenarios quite
    > difficult even on the easy setting - in particular to produce units
    > more quickly. Would it make more tactical sense to hire more heroes to
    > explore for more resources?
    > After about 3-4 months I'm set upon by heroes with far more troops...

    3-4 *weeks* or 3-4 *months*? Most maps should be done within a couple
    of months.

    In some situations you can get the level 5 creatures by the end of the
    first week. Whether you go for creature quantities or creature dwellings
    during the first week depends on your available resources, the resources
    required for your particular creature dwellings, the proximity of the
    computer players, and how strong the "random" monster guards are.

    So long as you build one castle improvement every day, you'll be in pretty
    good shape. Getting the order right takes some experimentation.

    Hiring a second hero immediately is pretty common (especially since you
    can group their starter-monsters together, leaving you with a fighting
    hero and a pick-up-stuff hero). For a few maps you may want a third,
    but that 2500 gold is usually best spent elsewhere in the first 2 weeks.

    If you're getting frustrated, try a "reveal all" cheat to see where
    everything is. (Study the map, then restart.) Discovering that the blue
    opponent has 3 castles to your one is a strong hint that you need to be
    capturing one of them before the end of week 2 (preferrably on day 7).
    The longer you wait, the worse off you'll be.

    --
    Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
    CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/

    In article <1117289224.687883.28850@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    michael_near_to_baldersgate@yahoo.co.uk says...

    > Staying with Heroes3, I'm finding the single player scenarios quite
    > difficult even on the easy setting - in particular to produce units
    > more quickly. Would it make more tactical sense to hire more heroes to
    > explore for more resources?
    > After about 3-4 months I'm set upon by heroes with far more troops...

    It's nearly always a good idea to hire a second hero immediately.
    Indeed, if you are on easy setting, you start with more gold AFAIK, so
    you could make this a rule. Usually you will give most of the army to
    one hero, and use the other for picking up resources, bringing troops
    to the main fighting hero, sitting in a castle with artefacts such as
    the 'legs of legion', and so forth.

    For a long time there won't be enough for a third hero to do.

    For do-nothing heroes, skills like 'Estates' etc. are useful. Choose
    the better fighter of the first two to build up. It may be useful
    eventually to have two good fighters, but after a few months you can
    build up any hero rapidly by giving him a big army and having him crush
    a medium-sized army. Lots of artefacts improve fighting skills, so
    give these to your main hero.

    I usually build a magic library right away so the main hero has a few
    spells to start him off. After that you usually decide whether to go
    for gold or monsters. If your problems occur only after months, you
    could start with gold, i.e. town hall, castle etc. Depending on the
    race you will probably do a few monster builds in the first week anyway
    - tower forces will build upgraded gremlin factories, swamp guys will
    go for wyverns. The good-value troops that can have your hero
    exploring at a good pace while you build the gold-producing buildings.

    You do need to expand in this game, so long as you can do so without
    too many losses. There will usually be neutral castles you can
    capture, and the sooner you find and take these, the sooner they have
    town halls adding to your wealth.

    In the longer term, the strategy for the human player is often based on
    attrition of superior forces. The AIs will split their forces into
    several medium-size stacks. As you defeat these, making sure to kill a
    lot of monsters without losing many of your own, you weaken him - even
    if you still have to run from his best hero. If you have the artefact
    'shackles' (I can't remember shackles of what) you can force enemy
    heroes to fight to the death and claim their artefacts. You can also do
    this in most castles - it's one of the main reasons for taking castles,
    in fact.

    So - keep the gold flowing - expand reasonably fast - keep your troops
    alive - attrit the enemy - these are the main things I would be mindful
    of.

    Don't be *too* cautions with your troops, however. Sometimes you must
    take losses because delay would be more costly. And of course if you
    play as the undead you can be more blase about the whole death thing...

    - Gerry Quinn

PC gaming Mice Connection Video Games