Charged for text messages beyond my control?

I have a Vision premium plan and it says I get 100 incoming and
outgoing text (SMS) messages. Every other major carrier I know of does
not charge for incoming messages. If someone were to get a hold of my
number and send me a thousand messages in a month, I would be
responsible for the charges? To be charging people for something beyond
there control seems ridiculous.
4 answers Last reply
More about charged text messages control

    michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I have a Vision premium plan and it says I get 100 incoming and
    > outgoing text (SMS) messages. Every other major carrier I know of does
    > not charge for incoming messages. If someone were to get a hold of my
    > number and send me a thousand messages in a month, I would be
    > responsible for the charges? To be charging people for something beyond
    > there control seems ridiculous.

    SMS charges vary widely between carriers in the US.

    Verizon charges for incoming and outgoing just like Sprint, although only
    2c/message for incoming - but they don't have an unlimited SMS option like
    Verizon does.

    AT&T has free incoming SMS if I recall corectly.

    I don't know the other carriers' policies. I can confirm Verizon's policy since
    I was a Verizon customer for almost four years before porting my number over to
    Sprint about six months ago.

    michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I have a Vision premium plan and it says I get 100 incoming and
    > outgoing text (SMS) messages. Every other major carrier I know of does
    > not charge for incoming messages. If someone were to get a hold of my
    > number and send me a thousand messages in a month, I would be
    > responsible for the charges? To be charging people for something beyond
    > there control seems ridiculous.

    It's the same as your "talking" plan, isn't it?

    If someone were to get a hold of your number and call you a thousand
    times in a month, you'd be responsible for those charges, wouldn't
    you?

    Notan

    Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote in news:41C90A94.D625A1F0@ddress.com:

    > It's the same as your "talking" plan, isn't it?
    >
    > If someone were to get a hold of your number and call you a thousand
    > times in a month, you'd be responsible for those charges, wouldn't
    > you?

    Not really, you don't have to answer the phone.

    michaeljc70@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I have a Vision premium plan and it says I get 100 incoming and
    > outgoing text (SMS) messages. Every other major carrier I know of does
    > not charge for incoming messages. If someone were to get a hold of my
    > number and send me a thousand messages in a month, I would be
    > responsible for the charges? To be charging people for something beyond
    > there control seems ridiculous.

    Actually, the 100 messages are just kind of a thrown in freebie. To get
    unlimited SMS, you pay an extra $5 a month. then anyone can SMS-bomb
    you to their heart's content without running up your bill.

    Regardless, you DO have some control over where you get your messages
    from, and you can block up to 20 different e-mail addresses or phone
    numbers. To do this, log into your account at sprintpcs.com, and then
    in the lower right hand corner of the account welcome screen, under "My
    Online Tools," select "Text Messaging."

    On that screen select "Settings and Preferences" on the left hand side,
    and under "SMS Only," there's a form that allows you input the e-mail
    addresses or phone numbers of people you'd like to block from receiving
    text messages.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Sprint PCS Internet Service Providers