Onboard soundcard - doesn't sound good

jy88888888

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Hi!

I bought a computer recently with a ASUS A7V333 Motherboard. It came with VideoLogic ZXR-500 (5.1) Speakers.

The problems I'm having are:

1. Can't get sound out of centre speaker
2. Divx plays ripped movies with "hissing" sound but WMP doesn't
3. Sound in general is of low quality - With music, the high frequency sounds are too high even with bass turned up max

The driver seems dated and the interface is terrible and I'm not sure what to do. I have another computer with a Creative Platinum 5.1 and Creative 5.1 speakers - the sound quality is amazing!

Any advice will be appreciated - I'm tempted to buy a new soundcard - or is it the speakers thats the problem?

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

jy88888888

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Thanks!

But on the computer specifications it states "Integrated 6 Channel Sound System" - Why 6 though and why did the company provide me with 5.1 speakers.

Very confusing.

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

Ripple

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
Cmedia sound is good, but I had trouble figuring out how to get sound from all channels as well. I was trying to connect Cambridge Sound works 2500 5.1 system which had one jack for SPDIF out connection.

I ended up going back to SB live 5.1 gamer and think sound is slightly better and takes less CPU time than onboard from reviews I've read. Documentation was not useful on Soyo dragon implementation for my particular config.