can MAX run in windows xp ?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategy (More info?)

Any tips on how ?

TIA

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategy (More info?)

I've run MAX in XP. To get sound I had to use a utility called "VDMS".

MAX is an awesome game, and I wish someone would update it to work in XP.

Ken H.

<onlyme@andmyshadow.com> wrote in message
> Any tips on how ?
>
> TIA

HBS

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005

In <ZfCoe.11482$az3.1165959@twister.southeast.rr.com> "Ken Hausle" <nomessagesplease@nomail.com> writes:

>I've run MAX in XP. To get sound I had to use a utility called "VDMS".

>MAX is an awesome game, and I wish someone would update it to work in XP.

I wish they would update it to work at all.

In multiplayer games it crashes sooner or later.

--
Henrik Schmidt Christian-Albrechts-Universitaet zu Kiel
Institut fuer Informatik +49 (431) 880 75 - 50 Fax or 43 Phone

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategy (More info?)

"VDMS" has been tried unfortunately it failed to run " screen init "
error..... I also tried "dosbox". I was hoping that someone had the magic to
make the program run. Like you said " MAX is an awesome game".

THANKS again

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategy (More info?)

I am also trying to get MAX to run in Win2K. I have both VDMSound and
Dosbox. I think my trouble in CD-Rom support even though I implemented it
in VDMS and tried to in Dosbox.
Any suggestions and the most commom error I get is Screen Init Failed.
Thanks

> "VDMS" has been tried unfortunately it failed to run " screen init "
> error..... I also tried "dosbox". I was hoping that someone had the magic
> make the program run. Like you said " MAX is an awesome game".
>
> THANKS again

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategy (More info?)

I had the same problem "Screen int Failed" I was told that this may be due
to what version of direct x you have.....Older being better in this case.

What I did to fix this issue was to buy a drive swap out bay ( $19.00 at
fry's) and load windows 98 on a old drive. This allowed me to play Max
and many other old games so it was worth the money.

Some thing you may need to look out for:

Other drives in PC without fat 16 or 32 partitions ( I just unplug the
power cable to the other drive )
Having to much memory ( never though you could have to much ) . Windows 98
when it has to much will give you a to little error message.
If that happen post a message and I will post the simple fix.